• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shiny firsts

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Jul 16, 2015
I was recently breeding to fill my pokedex, running back and forth down the long road outside the day care in X/Y when my chimchar hatched and I noticed his fur was a little bit pinker than I remember the chimchar being normally. Turned out that it was because he was a shiny and the first shiny I ever got while breeding. So I thought I'd see others thoughts on what their firsts were on the four main ways of getting shinies.
Chain fishing for me was a magikarp,
poke-radar chaining was a Skiddo
my first plain, dumb luck, 'just got lucky walking through grass one day' was a zigzagoon.

How about the rest of ya?

Reactions: Sun
Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Jul 16, 2015
Hmm... Well, the first shiny I ever got was a shiny Gastly in Platinum. I didn't really understand the importance of it back then and I ended up trading it away. :[ Wish I hadn't.

First Friend Safari shiny was a Skiddo, and first bred shiny was a Gligar! I don't really remember any of my other firsts.

I wonder traded away the zigazoon too, also to my regret especially since I didn't even get a ,"nice" for it. Haven't gotten a safari zone one though, still working on getting the shiny charm.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
My first shiny was either a Krabby or a Drowzee in Crystal Version, I don't remember which one I caught first. I also found a Nidorina in Crystal, but I had no PokéBalls so I just remember staying in the battle for as long as possible staring at it in devastation. :(

Since then I've made it a point to keep hundreds of PokéBalls with me at all times lmao.

Years
duskull.gif

My first shiny was this, back in my original Ruby. She's still in the PC to this day, but she'll always hold a place in my heart because her encounter was so unexpected but shinies are special and we all want one.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Jul 16, 2015
My first shiny was either a Krabby or a Drowzee in Crystal Version, I don't remember which one I caught first. I also found a Nidorina in Crystal, but I had no PokéBalls so I just remember staying in the battle for as long as possible staring at it in devastation. :(

Since then I've made it a point to keep hundreds of PokéBalls with me at all times lmao.

I understand. Even shinies I don't particularly want can be bad. Had a horde battle with hoppips and one was shiny. Put in my psyduck to hit a water gun and weaken it a bit. Critical hit. Damn.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
I remember a very unique curiosity concerning shiny Tentacruel in Pokemon Emerald. I played through the game, and around Mossdeep I found a shiny Tentacruel, which I dubbed Sonya. Later I made a new save file, played through the game..... and found Sonya again, in almost the same area. I've had the thing ever since.

My first shiny ever though was a Diglett. I remember it being purple... and I didn't know what it was and I killed it. I've also ran into a shiny Pidgey before, and there's a few other shiny Pokemon I've ran into like Lucky the Skeedo and Cherry the Skorupi.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
First one for me ever (and only first honestly since I've never gotten one via the other methods as of yet) was a Poliwag in Crystal. I didn't know what it meant, but I noticed it sparkled just like the Red Gyarados, so I figured I better catch it :P It was also confusing because Poliwag's shiny is simply just a different shade of blue.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
My first ever shiny that I legitimately found and caught was this little cutie...
pidgey.gif

I caught it on route 1 after I delivered Oak's Parcel and it was on my friend's FireRed game that he let me borrow. He restarted it after I gave it back to him. :(

As for my other firsts, my first shiny hatched 'mon was a Charmander(X). My first fish chained shiny was a Clauncher(X) (but I KO'ed it by accident). My first radar chained shiny was a Skiddo(X).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I'M GONNA SHARE 'EM ALL.

My first shiny EVER was Pumpkaboo, named AYYYOOO (supposed to be YAY). I found it in the grass when I turned on the game first thing. I was so excited. It was only a few days before Halloween in 2013, too.

First Chain Fishing shiny was Clauncher. I named it 26th. Cuz I got it on the 26th chain.

My first Wonder Trade shiny was Bidoof. I still have it.

My first DexNav shiny was Porygon! I searched for it like over 200 times, but it finally appeared. I named it Blue.

My first Hoarde shiny was Psyduck. Only took a few hours, which was wonderful. I named it Aqua.

My first Friend Safari shiny was either Braixen, Munna or Lampent. All still special to me :')

My first Soft Resetting shiny was Cresselia. It took me well over a month but I finally got her. Named her Dreamer.

My first Sky Encounter shiny was Swablu. Found randomly in the sky earlier this year. It's really bad but I don't remember what I named it...

I need to get a breeding shiny, a pokeradar shiny, uhhh... is there anything else?

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Jul 16, 2015
My first ever shiny that I legitimately found and caught was this little cutie...
pidgey.gif

I caught it on route 1 after I delivered Oak's Parcel and it was on my friend's FireRed game that he let me borrow. He restarted it after I gave it back to him. :(

As for my other firsts, my first shiny hatched 'mon was a Charmander(X). My first fish chained shiny was a Clauncher(X) (but I KO'ed it by accident). My first radar chained shiny was a Skiddo(X).

Skiddo for the win! Forgot to mention my first shiny wonder trade. That was a level 100 charizard.

Years
I've only caught two wild shiny Pokemon, both Heracoss, by using the DexNav in Alpha Sapphire. I'm thrilled with them as they make a nice pair as one of each gender. I think I may have encountered a shiny Paras or Parasect in the Friend Safari the other week but I wasn't really paying attention and my brain didn't notice that it looked a bit different until the moment it fainted. Even though I probably wouldn't use it and I can't even be 100% sure it still bugs me!

I got a level 100 shiny Moltres through Wonder Trade but released it as it seemed dodgy. Hope I made the right call!

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
I've only encountered two shinies so far, and very recently. The first one was a shiny Magnemite in Pokemon White 2. I caught it, of course, but I already had an electric type so it wouldn't get a place in my team. The second one was a Trevenant in Pokemon X, I have restarted the game though - and I think I traded that Trevenant over to my sister's Y version before restarting... although I'm not too sure.

Years
Believe it or not, my first LEGIT Shiny was in Pokemon X and that was Vulpix, through Masuda Method. I learned a lot about it before starting and I always wanted Shiny Ninetales, so I gave it a try and month after game release I was happy with my beautiful Shiny Ninetales.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I also found a Nidorina in Crystal, but I had no PokéBalls so I just remember staying in the battle for as long as possible staring at it in devastation. :(

This very same thing happened to me, and it still haunts me to this day. I encountered this beauty in LeafGreen.

sneasel.gif

This was the first shiny I ever encountered in the wild, and I had no Pokeballs on me. Knowing what I know now, I could have done a soft reset and came back for it with some Pokeballs, but at the time I didn't know about that, so all I could do was sit and despair at the shiny Sneasel that got away :'(

I caught more shinies later though. Specifically, I ran into and caught a shiny Buizel and a shiny Gurdurr, both in Pokemon Y. Interestingly enough, they were both obtained in horde battles, and they were both encountered on Victory Road. I named the shiny Buizel Jetstream, and the shiny Gurdurr Pride (after the homunculus from FMA :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
My first shiny in the wild was a Hoot-Hoot in my Crystal version.

My first Fish Chaining shiny was a Relicanth in X/Y. It didn't take long at all.

My first Friend Safari shiny in X/Y was Ivysaur. That also didn't take too long to get. I love it :3

I still have yet to find a shiny by using the PokeRadar in ORAS.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
My first random encounter shiny was a Whismur in Ruby. I was a kid at the time and knew nothing about shinies so when I saw it with those green ears, I thought it was sick! :( So I caught it and decided I wanted to make it feel better! lol I ended up restarting that game without moving it over unfortunately. :( I don't even remember what I named it.

My first RNG abused shiny was a Cottonee in Black. I was just trying to go for shininess and not perfect IVs and the first thing I got was Cottonee. I caught her in a Repeat Ball (I think?) and named her Autumn. I recently decided to finally level her up and evolve her so now she's a Whimsicott. :) I plan to bring her over to gen VI soon!

If Friend Safari counts as a shiny catching method, then my first one was Ninetales. This was before I got the shiny charm, I believe. It was Christmas time and I was working on catching stuff in Friend Safari for my Pokedex and I ran into it! I named it Slick because it was my grandfather's nickname and he left food out for the foxes at our house and he liked to watch them come up to the yard. The day he died, the fox came up to the yard while the whole family was outside and just sat there as if to say goodbye...foxes are special animals to me for this. <3 I'm off track. :')

I have never PokeRadar or fish chained a Pokemon, nor have I ever had luck with the Masuda Method. It's crazy that I haven't because I breed a lot and have actively tried to do it many times, but no dice. :( I have a huge shiny collection though so I'm not too bummed, but it would be nice if I could hatch my own for once!

Years
My first shiny was a Geodude in Ruby. AND I FAINTED IT BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST A GLITCH OR THAT IT WOULD GIVE BONUS EXP. You can imagine my regret when I found out about shinies.

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
Years
I haven't caught that many shiny Pokemon, especially since they were all from X. My first Pokemon that I encountered was a Karrablast, at the time of catching it, I was actually looking for a Haunter and I came across it after a few minutes of trying to find a Haunter. The first shiny that I bred was a Combee, but I don't have it anymore because I wanted a shiny Vespiquen and the one that I ended up getting while breeding was a male Combee, and so I ended up trading it away on the GTS for a Tyrogue. The first Pokemon that I caught while chain fishing was a Clauncher and it really didn't take me very long to get it. I have yet to catch a shiny through regular chaining because the PokeRadar hates my guts.

Back