• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: POKEMON: Dark Rising

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
@_Nixon1

Check 1 or 2 pages before this one on the thread. It shows what's SUPPOSE to happen. However, alot of people are experiencing mixed events working. Tajaros will be fixing All of these events tonight & I'll upload a patch. For now, skip that event. You can look 1 or 2 pages back to see what was suppose to happen. To sum it up:

You see Ash, Pikachu, Charizard, Brock, Entei. You challenge & defeat Brock who's controlling Entei this time. After you beat him, Ash returns his Charizard, thanks you for saving his friend, and walks away. Entei also gives you information on what's going on.

Some people experienced this event, some did not. I'm sorry the event didn't occur. It Will be fixed Tonight or Tommorrow for sure. Tajaros is re-doing the scripts that aren't working tonight.
I strongly encourage everyone to re-play the beta once these events are properly working for Everyone & I fix alot of things up.

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013
So far I've played until the second V battle, and so far these are my criticisms:

Difficulty:
Sort of odd. I mean, my Lv.18 Venipede solo'ed Fiery without losing any HP, but as soon as I got to Atlantic City, I was bombarded by a bunch of Final-Stage Pokemon (Swampert, Steelix, Crobat, Seismitoad, to name a few.) Not sure if accidental or intentional. The level jumps are sort of weird. Especially with the Lv.30 Shelgon popping out of nowhere.

Mapping:
Could use some work, especially in the early stages. Too much negative space in the starting town. Though, I'd advise you to re-work on some maps. Water Caverns looks too much like Mt. Moon, the same thing applies to the Atlantic Cove. A few border problems in the northern parts of the region, the movement permission thing seems to be... eccentric at certain points.

Storyline:
Actually well-written. Even though it contains several overused plot devices (Story revolving around a legendary, evil team.) Overall, quite decent among ROM hacks. A major complaint related to the script is the sheer amount of grammar errors. Most of them tend to be you/you're, but I also see improper capitalization and misusing pronouns (Such as saying "Me and X," instead of "X and I.") Plus, instead of using pronouns, such as he or she when talking about the main character, who can be either male or female, try using something neutral like "this kid." You don't need to use checkgender, so you won't need to write two separate dialogues per scene.

Sprites:
I understand this is the beta, but have you guys found a spriter yet? All characters are blatant recolors of other Pokemon characters. This sort of makes your hack seem to be too generic.

Other bugs:
The gym sign at Atlantic City remains unchanged, it still mentions Misty as the gym leader. Plus, when you talk to both Eon at the swamp and the Rival at Tiki, there is the overflow problem.

Overall, this project seems to be going pretty well. Another off-topic-ish questions to DRG. How did you manage to get so much hype for your hack?

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
Years
awhen you go outside mystic cave you cant go back in, and when you go outside mystic cave, it says AROMA town. and in salem you cant go inside the pokemart.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Mapping:
Could use some work, especially in the early stages. Too much negative space in the starting town. Though, I'd advise you to re-work on some maps. Water Caverns looks too much like Mt. Moon, the same thing applies to the Atlantic Cove. A few border problems in the northern parts of the region, the movement permission thing seems to be... eccentric at certain points.
Now I see noone bothered to read my post :/
I mentioned the same things as you did :/ Oh well...
But what I wanted to say is that I agree with this part of your post.
This was what I forgot to mention!
Maps really do look too similar to original Fire Red ones.
But I still believe that great story, which this hack really has, can beat the other flaws ;)

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years

But I still believe that great story, which this hack really has, can beat the other flaws ;)

Thanks, for the criticism ASH493 I'll fix those now won't take long until I'm finished, also Why the maps look the same from FR because we currently don't have a mapper well atif was our mapper b4 but he canceled his assistance to the hack. :(

Oh and ASH493 nice team you got there they all look awesome! xD

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
I just started playing this hack and it is awesome.
My team is:
Gible, Lv. 16
Staravia, Lv. 14
I just got out of Twist Woodlands. :)

Zortac

League Champion
Years
Awesome hack, DarkRisingGirl, and I can't wait for the next release.
I would like to be mapper from August 21st because I can't do it now.Is that Okay?

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Awesome hack, DarkRisingGirl, and I can't wait for the next release.
I would like to be mapper from August 21st because I can't do it now.Is that Okay?

Just for you to know you can just PM/VM DarkRisingGirl if you want to help or apply here... :)

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=279212... :)

Also I already send the updated patch with all the events fix to DarkRisingGirl now will just await for her to post it here on the thread... :)

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2013

Eh, I thought DRG already fixed most of what you saw wrong, considering the constant patching. But anyway, yeah, the game seems to progress in the same manner as Gen. I. Not sure if intentional or not, but it reminds me of Quartz.

@tajaros:
Mapping is pretty easy, actually. Try looking at the Map Review section and learn the do's and don'ts of what makes a good map. The only problem is how it often takes hours just to make a single good map.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
I have messaged DRG to ask her if I can be a mapper again, hopefully I get the spot. :D

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
I just uploaded the patch Tajaros worked on all last night. I haven't tested it out Yet, but he has redone All of the events that weren't working properly. So they should work now. I don't know if it requires players to restart their games or not. If you have Any questions or Still having problems concerning Events & Scripts, please contact Him by PM & he'll surely get back to you within the day or the next. I'll be inactive til late next week as I'm going on a small vacation with some friends before college classes start up again next month. So Tajaros is in charge until then. If he's working on another update to fix any problems you encounter while playing, I'll still be available to upload it.

About the Maps, I was going to map Nummasity City(The first city in the next beta. Alot of interesting stuff is planed for that place. Just think of that city in BW with the musical/theater/etc. You'll also get your bike here) & post a screenshot of it. I'll let you guys vote on it. If you don't think it's good, I'll get a mapper to map the rest of the game. If you think it's good, I promise I'll step up my mapping skills for every route/city & improve alot of areas. So I'll let the viewers decide the faith of the maps.

Lucifer-san

[i]Recently Revived Zombie[/i]
Years
Yo! Say! Ho!

Just stopping in after finishing the beta......I think I did but eh that's beside the point or is it..? But gotta say the beta was pretty amazing some errors here and there but eh its beta 1 so it'll improve. All I have to say is Good Job!

My Team:
Dragonite/Claire: Lvl 63
Ninetails/Kyuubi: Lvl 58
Zebstrika/Spark: Lvl 52
Victini: Lvl 50
Venasaur/Saur: Lvl 48
Staraptor/Star: Lvl 45

Can't say that im not expecting the next beta to be awesome but the future is not written in stone so Good Luck.

With my rhymes I annihilate, then I shall obliterate.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
Eh, I thought DRG already fixed most of what you saw wrong, considering the constant patching. But anyway, yeah, the game seems to progress in the same manner as Gen. I. Not sure if intentional or not, but it reminds me of Quartz.

@tajaros:
Mapping is pretty easy, actually. Try looking at the Map Review section and learn the do's and don'ts of what makes a good map. The only problem is how it often takes hours just to make a single good map.

I am already mapping my own hack though, DRG says I can only do the scripts and she'll take care of everything else, Well atif should be back mapping Pokemon DR! xD

Oh and guys have you found any errors on the updated patch yet? :)

Years

I am already mapping my own hack though, DRG says I can only do the scripts and she'll take care of everything else, Well atif should be back mapping Pokemon DR! xD

Oh and guys have you found any errors on the updated patch yet? :)

I am having a lot of problems with the new updated patch. thing that I don't know if are normal or not. I have no Pokémon, and, after I wake up at home, and go down stairs, I suddenly appear in Mystic Falls, here:

scaled.php

As I have no Pokémon, I find myself fainting and returning home after a wild Pokémon battle. I got back to home, and I received the Running Shoes. Then, I went back to my room, and went down stairs, appearing again in Mystic Falls. I went down, and this happened: an event activated, and I battled one of those important trainers, with Spiritomb, this trainer, and I have no Pokémon yet!
pokmondarkrisingbeta1.png

scaled.php

However, apparently, after fainting again, things begin to go well, I don't know, I'll have to see. I return home, and I continue being in the same town after leaving.

And I few more things:

scaled.php

You can't walk here:

scaled.php
scaled.php

After the grunt puts you apart, you appear here:
scaled.php

"evryone":

pokmondarkrisingbeta1gr.png

OAK's mentioned:

pokmondarkrisingbeta1oa.png

Last edited:

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
I am having a lot of problems with the new updated patch. thing that I don't know if are normal or not. I have no Pokémon, and, after I wake up at home, and go down stairs, I suddenly appear in Mystic Falls, here:

scaled.php

As I have no Pokémon, I find myself fainting and returning home after a wild Pokémon battle. I got back to home, and I received the Running Shoes. Then, I went back to my room, and went down stairs, appearing again in Mystic Falls. I went down, and this happened: an event activated, and I battled one of those important trainers, with Spiritomb, this trainer, and I have no Pokémon yet!
pokmondarkrisingbeta1.png

scaled.php

However, apparently, after fainting again, things begin to go well, I don't know, I'll have to see. I return home, and I continue being in the same town after leaving.

And I few more things:

scaled.php

You can't walk here:

scaled.php
scaled.php

After the grunt puts you apart, you appear here:
scaled.php

"evryone":

pokmondarkrisingbeta1gr.png

Oh sorry I forgot to edit the warp in the stairs... :(

I did that when I was fixing something the newer patch will be released shortly... :)

Edit:

Since DRG is out for a while I can't edit the download link in the first page so here's the patch with all those errors pointed out are fixed! :)

Here's the patch
View attachment 65518

Also the backsprite has been messed up for some mysterious reason and it's the male again :(

So for everyone to enjoy the hack please pick the HEROINE!

Major problems with the Hero are unaccesible Trainer Card and messed up backsprite... :)

Well point some errors that you found on the patch so I can fix tham! :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2016
I just played and its really fun! I am currently making my hack and you've gave me alot of inspiration for the things you've done on your hack. Great Work!

Years
Ok, I picked the heroine this time. There is something odd with the warp after going downstairs, though. I am using the version you uploaded a few hours ago. Now I don't appear in Mystic Falls, but here:

youappearhere.png

It's still home, but is it supposed to be that way? I don't think so...

I have found another bug, one that does not let you continue playing. If you jump here:

pokmondarkrisingbeta1po.png

You can't move here:

pokmondarkrisingbeta1bu.png

I like the game so far, here is my team in Lavaburn path:

pokmondarkrisingbeta1te.png

EDIT: OMG, A SHINY MINCCINO!!

shinymincinno.png

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years

Thanks, for the criticism ASH493 I'll fix those now won't take long until I'm finished, also Why the maps look the same from FR because we currently don't have a mapper well atif was our mapper b4 but he canceled his assistance to the hack. :(

Oh and ASH493 nice team you got there they all look awesome! xD
Yahoo, finally someone read my post! Banzai! xD

@Mochorro: You lucker xD

@Justin: Have you talked with Entei or it has frozen after the battle?

Back