• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I'm spending some time here fixing up a C++ INI/Config parser library I found on CodeProject. I'm removing all of the uses of raw pointers, and adding in exceptions to replace sloppy error code holder references (passing a variable by reference to be set in the event something goes wrong, this isn't C). I think I'm even going to add in some new little functionality, too.

If you take it as-is, the thing supports hashpound-based comments (#), agnosticism to the spaces surrounding the equals sign of a declaration, and nesting! starting with the line name = ( and ending with a ) on its own line, you can nest up to an arbitrary length. This is what I found to be most cool about the library.

Since I'm such a nut for compiled code, I'm going to have it set up as a shared library (a DLL on Windows) and reference it to both save compile time and modularize my application.

It's such a relief to not have to write this sort of stuff from scratch. ^^';

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 31, 2015
Just to let everyone know. I found out about this last night. You should turn off p2p updates. You can do it under settings-updates and security-advanced options (under windows update tab)-Choose how updates are delivered once here click the circle for "PCs on Local Network". This will keep people from wasting data.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I plugged in my Dell Venue 8 Pro to charge early this morning and it had no battery. 8 hours later, and it only went to 87%, and this was while it was shut down too. Jeez.

Also, for some reason, when I opened it, this tiny keyboard appeared on the screen while it was charging, and it was shut down, too.

Spoiler:

You may want to microwave your RAM and drill holes in your disk platters.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
tfw you accidentally invent an assembly language trying to come up with ways to improve C++

god my head hurts. and I need to rethink what I'm improving upon, because evidently one doesn't simply "improve" C++.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
tfw you accidentally invent an assembly language trying to come up with ways to improve C++

god my head hurts. and I need to rethink what I'm improving upon, because evidently one doesn't simply "improve" C++.

One either loves or hates it. :)

Me? Well... I'm kinda torn.

In the meantime, I guess I'll be doing computer-y things for now.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
One either loves or hates it. :)

Me? Well... I'm kinda torn.
The thing about C++ for me is, I absolutely adore the power, control, and precision it gives me over every aspect of my program. I know exactly what it's up to, or enough to be happy. There is a massive developer base with libraries for anything worth using, but... despite that, I start to get overwhelmed at how monotonous it can get writing C++ sometimes. So I want to change that.

If you're interested, you could take a look at this collection of outlines I wrote up about what exactly I want out of my own "acceptable language." So you're aware, that thing is just notes – I left out a lot. :P Do note the lack of void and null.

In the meantime, I guess I'll be doing computer-y things for now.
Like what? :)

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
The thing about C++ for me is, I absolutely adore the power, control, and precision it gives me over every aspect of my program. I know exactly what it's up to, or enough to be happy. There is a massive developer base with libraries for anything worth using, but... despite that, I start to get overwhelmed at how monotonous it can get writing C++ sometimes. So I want to change that.

If you're interested, you could take a look at this collection of outlines I wrote up about what exactly I want out of my own "acceptable language." So you're aware, that thing is just notes – I left out a lot. :P Do note the lack of void and null.

Mmm hmm! C++ is a nice tool when you want things to be exactly how you like it.

Me, sometimes, I want that, too, but I do also use C# when I don't need that much power. Usually makes for faster coding in my experience once you get used to it.

Like what? :)

Does running stability tests on my desktop computer count? :)

Years
Like the new prefixes guys? :P

So I tried Pale Moon on my netbook (and they have a version branded as Atom/XP), and it's still quite resource-intensive. :|

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Like the new prefixes guys? :P

So I tried Pale Moon on my netbook (and they have a version branded as Atom/XP), and it's still quite resource-intensive. :|

What specs are your laptop btw? I think running something even lighter would be better (if there is something like that).

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
Especially when the CPU has to do everything. :)

(Hmm, something about this post looks weird. Guests?)

If it's a older netbook, the cpu would probably be complete trash and probably won't be able to do anything more than word processing and web browsing without video streaming. Then again, netbooks were designed to just do these two things and really nothing more. That being said, the bay trail and upcoming cherry trail atom netbooks can defiantly hold there own as a laptop replacement so long as you don't mind using cloud/external storage and have a 3DS handy.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
If it's a older netbook, the cpu would probably be complete trash and probably won't be able to do anything more than word processing and web browsing without video streaming. Then again, netbooks were designed to just do these two things and really nothing more. That being said, the bay trail and upcoming cherry trail atom netbooks can defiantly hold there own as a laptop replacement so long as you don't mind using cloud/external storage and have a 3DS handy.

Sometimes I think it's less of a problem with their CPUs alone, and more of a problem with their CPU + the GPU going to waste on the desktop. Netbooks back then that shipped with Windows 7 Starter couldn't make use of Desktop Window Manager, which offloads most desktop graphics processing to, well, the GPU.

The experience is quite a bit nicer when it's running something that isn't Starter, let alone 8.x or 10.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Finally got Bumblebee and with that NVIDIA Optimus back running again. Still not quite sure, why exactly it broke in the first place, though, let alone why it took me so long to fix.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Finally got Bumblebee and with that NVIDIA Optimus back running again. Still not quite sure, why exactly it broke in the first place, though, let alone why it took me so long to fix.

Things that can go wrong seems to just do when it comes to device drivers...

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I remember trying to get Bumblebee running on linux on a old alienware computer. Those weren't good times. So happy my current laptop has no discrete graphics; I find playing games on a laptop impractical in the situations i'm in with it anyway.

Years
I remember playing Team Fortress 2 on my current laptop at lower settings and it was smooth. Although I'm not sure how it'd be now considering I haven't done that in a while. Maybe I should install a game or two from Steam onto my laptop to find out.. hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back