• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokeathlon

Years
Ok so I am 100% sure there used to be Pokeathlon thread on this side of forum...weird huh.

Anyway, what did you think of it, did you go back to it regularly?

I'm competitive, so I really want to make records for all the competitions.

But seriously, can someone tell me, how am I supposed to get 40+ points on the disc catching event. I cant get past 20.
All the other ones are more or less easy, but this specific ones is a pain!

:D

Years
The various forms of Contests and the Musical failed to make me care about them at all, so this is one of those few side-challenges that actually drew my attention. Considering how tedious the film studio in B2W2 ended up being, I'd say this was far and away my favorite main-series "diversion".

Having very active player input helped it - even without doing a lot with the Berry shakes, I still felt highly competitive with the NPCs and was even able to meet just about all of the scoring requirements back in the day. The only real downside is that it's all available at once and not really utilized elsewhere - the tendency was to sink several hours into the Pokéathlon all at once and then move on semi-permanently.

Still: excellent side-game, would work with again.

Years
There are many reasons why I consider HG/SS the best in the series. This is only one reason. The Pokeathalon was an awesome addition and I hope to see something like it in a future installment.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
The main reason I had a go at the Pokeathlon was probably for the rewards. I always found progressing through the main storyline more fun than spending time at mini-games so I thought the same of Pokeathlon. But then I had a couple of gos and found it really fun so yeah, it's certainly an enjoyable feature. ^^ I'll admit that I'm not the biggest fan of competitive sport but since I wasn't doing the work, I didn't hate it that much. I think the pokeathlon added a challenging element to the game as well since it wasn't too easy to just win and be like "lol i smashed you all", you actually had to work your way up to get some good rewards.

But yeah, awesome feature. I was never a fan of stuff like contests so it was definitely a nice change and something that I'd like to see again in future games. :)

Years
I LOVED the Pokéathlon, it's my favourite side-attraction in the games in addition to the Contests. I loved that you got different awards on different days and also the way that you could unlock different rooms was a great incentive to keep playing :) It was so much fun catching new Pokémon and seeing their Pokéathlon stats, and then using them in the events paired with others you may never have used normally :) I honestly loved all the events... if I HAD to pick a favourite I'd maybe go with Goal Roll or Disc Catch... but then Ring Drop was also a lot of fun lol xD And Lamp Jump and Block Smash... Also the Hurdle Dash reminded me a lot of the Run Rattata Run mini-game from Pokémon Stadium so I liked that one too :) And I'll stop there lol xD

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
Ah, the Pokeathlon... I used to play it a lot, even challenging the masters' cup a lot. It's so addicting. :v

But seriously, can someone tell me, how am I supposed to get 40+ points on the disc catching event. I cant get past 20.

Not sure if you've broken the 40+ points but... what I did, I just stayed at the back at the 5-point area, since no one even bothers to go there. Plus most NPC Pokemon can't catch them discs so you can rake up the points easily. Beware of falling though. :v

And at that note, can someone tell me how to do the Snowball Fight? I suck terribly at it, and because of that my Skill cup points never reach the 400s. :v

Years
Ah, the Pokeathlon... I used to play it a lot, even challenging the masters' cup a lot. It's so addicting. :v

Not sure if you've broken the 40+ points but... what I did, I just stayed at the back at the 5-point area, since no one even bothers to go there. Plus most NPC Pokemon can't catch them discs so you can rake up the points easily. Beware of falling though. :v

And at that note, can someone tell me how to do the Snowball Fight? I suck terribly at it, and because of that my Skill cup points never reach the 400s. :v

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out.

When it came to snow ball game, I avoided wasting my time on making bigger balls, I'd just throw them fast in random directions.

Years
I may have played around in the Pokéathlon a little bit, but it was never anything I put serious effort into. Some of the mini games can be rather tough to do good on, but what do I really know. At least there are some good items you can get out of them.

Years
I didn't enjoy the Pokeathlon as much as I thought.

Mainly because I sucked in most of the courses, the only one I was really good in was the Stamina one because I had a Miltank that was fairly strong and sturdy, often a star team member of mine in that course.

At least you can get nice prizes out of it, such as evolution items, stones and a few other things which is nice.

Years
I've said it before and will say it again - I lovelovelove this thing. It's such a fun way to get evolution stones and the stamina course especially had my absolute favorite minigames, like block smash and relay run. I do miss it quite a lot as it made HG/SS so much more enjoyable.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I felt that Pokéathlon was a pretty nifty feature, and a fresh change of pace from their usual battle-related things that they have tendency to implement. Loved their rock-smashing game (I can't put my finger on its exact name, sorry to say), as I found it to be quite addictive; spent hours playing it when I was first introduced. Their other stuff were good, too! It sucks that this wasn't ported to later games, but I suppose it's understandable; they would like to keep this exclusive to HeartGold and SoulSilver, just like how Ruby and Sapphire had Pokémon Contests, Emerald had Battle Tents, and so forth.

SapphireMillennium

The Legend of Hoenn
Years
I loved the Pokeathlon. I thought it was a really neat way to have access to good items. The side games were so much fun! ^_^ I wasn't really all that great at them, but they were still fun to play. Plus, it was neat that the character actually changed outfits for it haha.

Years
I find the story of how it got started interesting, wish there was more to the story.

I find the soccer game to be hard to get the hang of...

Grotesque

Banned
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 22, 2014
I enjoyed having fans and my own statue. Yeah, I completed the Pokeathlon after beating the Indigo Plateau and since all my team had high Pokeathlon stats it wasn't too hard to finish.

Years
I'll bump this before the darkness of 30-day shadow takes it over lol.

I accidentally saw the last room online and now I really want to win the disc jumping lol.

blue

gucci
Years
I liked the amount of different events that you could participate in, it was actually enjoyable to mix up different teams and try out different tracks.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
I loved the Pokeathlon! It was so much fun! A nice, new Pokemon related feature.

I participated in it a lot. I love the games you could do. I loved the racing with hurdles the best probably. I used to run track so that might be why, but it was a ton of fun. Whenever I replay HGSS, I make sure to stop by the Pokeathlon and give it a whirl!

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I loved the Pokeathalon! I remember spending hours upon hours participating in the different events. It was nice since it was new and fresh. No other game before it, or after, had it.

Back