• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Beginning team

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 7, 2016
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Dragonite (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

Togekiss (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost

I don't know what I should do for the sixth slot XD

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Why are you using random EV spreads? Do they accomplish anything specific? (achieving OHKOs/2HKOs or avoiding being OHKOed/2HKOed by certain attacks, I mean) If not, I'll have to suggest better EV spreads for you.

You're better off using Roost on Togekiss over Nasty Plot. It seems tempting to make Togekiss hit harder, but you're better off restoring your health from time to time because without Roost, Togekiss gets worn down fast, and any defensive Pokemon that has access to reliable recovery has to use it for that reason. The EV spread for Togekiss should be 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef with a Bold nature, but Calm with 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef works too.

Even though Weakness Policy seems tempting to boost Dragonite's offenses to dangerously high levels, it's not worth it because even though Dragonite has access to Roost, passive recovery from Leftovers helps in the long run better than the +2 boost in both offenses. If Dragonite is forced out, the boosts will be lost. So Weakness Policy gets a no from me. Also, here's a better take on bulky Roost Dragonite:
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Punch/Superpower/Earthquake
-Extreme Speed
-Roost
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 216 HP/64 Atk/228 SDef (this spread gives Dragonite the most optimal special bulk possible, while still giving it power; bulky Roost Dragonite doesn't need Speed)
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale

Medicham sits at a good Speed tier of 100. Why are you wasting that away by investing in bulk? Its bulk isn't that good, so bulk investment is pointless. 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe is the way to go in this case.

Scolipede is doing too much at once, really. It's massive Taunt bait, and you don't have Mental Herb to save it from that. Again, what purpose do the EV serve? Toxic Spikes should only be used on balanced/defensive teams and it clashes with Togekiss' Thunder Wave. Here's a better take on BP Scolipede:
-Substitute
-Protect
-Baton Pass
-Swords Dance/Iron Defense
Nature: Timid
EVs: 248 HP/20 Def/240 Spe
Item: Mental Herb
Ability: Speed Boost

While Chansey can lure in physical attackers to use Counter on, there are times when those attackers don't attack at all and set up on Chansey, making Counter a wasted move in that instance. Seismic Toss is always the preferred consistency attack, and the preferred EV spread is 4 HP/252 Def/252 SDef for better all-round bulk.

Curse Ferrothorn needs tons of support to work effectively; it needs Fire or Fighting Pokemon removed for it to do its thing, but you don't have much of that. You're better off having it lay down entry hazards in the form of Stealth Rock and forgoing Curse entirely:
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball/Protect/Knock Off
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Ability: Iron Barbs

Since Dragonite is weak to Stealth Rock, try to squeeze in a Rapid Spinner/Defogger on the team; the aforementioned moves remove entry hazards. Or you can just squeeze in Defog on Togekiss, preferably over Dazzling Gleam, as it's rather expendable. If you have your doubts on Excadrill, remember that it and Dragonite resist each other's weaknesses:

Tentacruel:
-Scald
-Acid Spray
-Sludge Bomb/Knock Off
-Rapid Spin
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/224 Def/32 Spe
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze

Starmie:
-Hydro Pump
-Psyshock/Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Rapid Spin
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure

or
-Scald
-Reflect Type
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
EVs: 248 HP/20 Def/16 SDef/224 Spe
Ability: Natural Cure

Mandibuzz:
-Foul Play
-Roost
-Whirlwind/Taunt
-Defog
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/136 Def/108 SDef/16 Spe
Ability: Overcoat

Excadrill:
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Rock Slide
-Rapid Spin
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe (Jolly) or 120 HP/136 Atk/252 SDef (Adamant)
Item: Choice Scarf (Jolly)/Assault Vest (Adamant)
Ability: Mold Breaker

Latios:
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Surf/Thunderbolt/Hidden Power (Fighting)
-Defog
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 7, 2016
Thanks for the advice :) I'm still a bit new to competitive battling XD

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Thanks for the advice :) I'm still a bit new to competitive battling XD

Since Scolipede baton passes before the opponent attacks, I wanted to make sure the pokemon passed to would survive, so I put bulk into everything. Medicham gets a speed pass from Scolipede anyway.

About Dragonite's speed evs, I just wanted to make sure that Dragonite outsped pokemon like Garchomp or Greninja after the Scolipede baton pass. I just realized it would still be pretty speedy after +2 even with no speed evs, so I'll put the evs in Sp def instead.

Would Scolipede be easily OHKO'd without a focus sash though? I need at least one sword dance, and I switch out if Scolipede is taunted.

Does the 1 stat point from 4 evs really matter though? Why 252 when you can have 240 so you can put the rest into other stats?

I'll consider the defoggers/rapid spinners.

How to use BP Scolipede: bring it in on something it scares out, and set up a Sub on the switch or on a predicted Thunder Wave/Will-o-Wisp (assuming they don't come from Thundurus or Sableye). Then Protect. Swords Dance up, then Baton Pass. Mental Herb is absolutely necessary on Scolipede to block Taunt once, but that one time should be enough to Baton Pass to a teammate.

While 100 Speed is a good Speed tier to have, too many Pokemon have it, like Charizard and Volcarona, making this tier overcrowded and putting Mega Medicham at a risk of speed ties with them. As I mentioned before, Medicham is too frail for bulk investment, so all its EVs have to be poured into Attack and Speed.

252 is the absolute maximum EVs for a stat to have. In most cases, thatt lets Pokemon hit as hard as they can, outspeed as much as they can (for sweepers), and tank as much as they can (for defenders). Unless you want to avoid OHKOs/2HKOs, achieve OHKOs/2HKOs with specific moves or outspeed specific threats, the simple 252/252 spread should never be deviated from.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Smogons medicham set sucks monkey balls. Fake Out and Bullet Punch dont even help with anything lol.

Hi Jump Kick / Drain Punch
Zen Headbutt
Ice Punch
Substitute / ThunderPunch / Fire Punch

Its one of the best wall breakers in the game so utilize that, especially on a team with this many issues with stall. Also without Zen Headbutt you lose to things you should be beating. See: mega Venusaur, fairies etc. ThunderPunch hits stuff like Slowbro and Starmie who can check you otherwise whilst Fire Punch hits Doublade and Ferrothorn (who forces you to use Hi Jump Kick and kill yourself when it protects). Sub scouts switches.

Drain Punch is an option because the main targets of HJK often carry Protect (Ferrothorn, Chansey, Heatran etc) so its worth a mention so you dont kill yourself.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Smogons medicham set sucks monkey balls. Fake Out and Bullet Punch dont even help with anything lol.

Hi Jump Kick / Drain Punch
Zen Headbutt
Ice Punch
Substitute / ThunderPunch / Fire Punch

Its one of the best wall breakers in the game so utilize that, especially on a team with this many issues with stall. Also without Zen Headbutt you lose to things you should be beating. See: mega Venusaur, fairies etc. ThunderPunch hits stuff like Slowbro and Starmie who can check you otherwise whilst Fire Punch hits Doublade and Ferrothorn (who forces you to use Hi Jump Kick and kill yourself when it protects). Sub scouts switches.

Drain Punch is an option because the main targets of HJK often carry Protect (Ferrothorn, Chansey, Heatran etc) so its worth a mention so you dont kill yourself.

Fake Out lets regular Medicham Mega Evolve safely against things hovering in the 81-100 Speed range, while Bullet Punch is for revenge killing stuff.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Fake Out lets regular Medicham Mega Evolve safely against things hovering in the 81-100 Speed range, while Bullet Punch is for revenge killing stuff.

Except it defeats the object of Medicham which is to wall break and like i said on a team this weak to stall that should be a priority to fix. Bullet Punch is that weak it doesnt even 2hko Gengar or guarantee a OHKo on Gardevoir even with with SR up which is the frailest relevant thing weak to Bullet Punch lol (:|) aka its pretty useless in allegedly revenge killing stuff.

Fake Out is cool for m evoing i guess if you cant predict, still passing up coverage for a move that is easy to exploit and stop doesnt seem worth it imo.

Back