• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Umbreon or Espeon?

Years
I went with Umbreon the first time but was slightly disappointed at its lack of damage, having been a player focused on hard-hitting Pokemon above all else. It tanked nicely but I couldn't wait too long to wittle down my opponent's HP so I chose Espeon next time and did not at all regret it. Fast and strong! Psychic, waheeyy.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
I like the Eevee evolutions because of the variety in types :) But when Dark-types were first introduced in the Gen.2 games, there were not too many appealing moves (yet) for Umbreon unfortunately... it has great defense though but the lack of Dark-types moves Umbreon could learn were a bit disappointing... That's why I went with Espeon a lot in the G/S/C games ;)

But later on, especially in the Gen.4, Gen.5 and Gen.6 games, there were more different moves developed, including some great moves Umbreon could learn as well so I definitely used him more often in these games :)

Years
Umbreon is my choice of preference here. I like how its "rings" glow in the dark making it look pretty intimidating to go up against and it is a rather bulky Pokemon.

Trickori

A Gen 5 Hipster
Years
I chose Umbreon at the time and named it after the Slayers character "Xellos" :) that thing kicked much butt! Now I'm a full fledged Espeon woman, however. :) but I generally like and will use both especially now that I got my paws on a shiny umbreon.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Right now, I personally prefer Espeon, due to all its battling skills; with its Magic Bounce ability, it's able to throw all non-damaging moves back to opponent without any trouble, making them fall under their own trap, and this, I believe, is more than helpful. It could go along with almost any team at any given time.

When generation two was still active and an ongoing thing, however, Espeon wasn't like this in at all, so it didn't catch much of my attention. I wasn't much into strategies back then, either--back then, I would rather play straightforwardly--so even if it were good, I still wouldn't have put as much attention onto it. Personally, during Gold, Silver, and Crystal era, I liked Umbreon a lot more, as it seemed very cool to me.

As for which one I chose, in my first, second, and third runs, I believe it was Umbreon. Afterward, I went with Espeon.

pkmin3033

I think I'd go with Umbreon. It looks a lot cooler, and I remember being quite awed when I saw that Gary had one in the anime. Plus it was like "the" Dark-type Pokemon back in Gen II; it was new and exciting, whereas Espeon...not so much. With Umbreon vs. Espeon it's a case of style vs. substance, but in this case I'd say style wins out for me.

...plus, Espeon has one of the ugliest shiny forms there is. It's a minor thing, but it's still there. xD

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 27, 2014
Espeon suited me better..... Even thou i could never get it... (dont know why...)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
You have to make Eevee really happy by giving it haircuts or always feeding it food such as water or lemonade. It makes the bond between you and Eevee strong. Then all you need to do is make sure it levels up in the day time. If it evolves at night you get Umbreon.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
I evolved my evee into umbereon, its stronger than espeion in most cases

Back