• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] New Ending!

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Its a cute ending, but yeah, it does stereotype Serena as a girly magical girl type character. Its based on Japanese idols and magical girl anime.

I never thought we'd have a main girl even girlier than Dawn was, but the writers have somehow managed to top Dawn in the girly department.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I don't think that's a bad thing. Girly doesn't mean bad or incapable or weak. Serena's dreaming of being the Kalos Queen, which is a lofty goal that is going to require a lot of work. Despite the fantasization and outward appearance of the profession being magical girl-esque, it's not something that's going to be handed to her. She's going to be a pop idol basically, and it's going to take creativity and practice and a fair amount of PR stuff to get there.

pkmin3033

Well, now I have an answer to what would happen if the Pokemon anime decided to have a Pretty Cure dance ending with No Game No Life-style animation...

...don't get me wrong here, I love it. I don't watch the anime in Japanese, but it's nice to see Serena getting an ED of her own. It's all very cute, and I'm totally fine with that. xD

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Its a cute ending, but yeah, it does stereotype Serena as a girly magical girl type character. Its based on Japanese idols and magical girl anime.

I never thought we'd have a main girl even girlier than Dawn was, but the writers have somehow managed to top Dawn in the girly department.
It's not really mahou shoujo-style... You are right about aidoru-style, though.

@Zeria: It's not MADHOUSE, it cannot be totally NGNL animation =D

It's very cute, in terms of lyrics at least, I would prefer more cuter voice, though.

pkmin3033

I know, it's just that the excessive use of red and the near-blinding neon colours at points remind me of it. Lord knows that Pokemon x NGNL would be a disastrous combination anyway...albeit a probably hilarious one. xD

As far the song goes...eh, it's alright, but I get more of an idol vibe from it than a magical girl one...which isn't a bad thing, as I guess it fits more with Serena as a character, but...yeah, it could be a lot cuter. Although there is probably enough sugar and rainbows in that ending as is. But then, I just re-watched the video on mute with some choice magical girl EDs instead, and it works a lot better for me. xD

I also just noticed...I see Madoka Magica and Sailor Moon references in there. Very blatant ones.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
It's not really mahou shoujo-style... You are right about aidoru-style, though.

It's very cute, in terms of lyrics at least, I would prefer more cuter voice, though.

It more Kid Shoujo type of Ending.
Hopefully we will get Kid shouene type of ending someday.

Well, now I have an answer to what would happen if the Pokemon anime decided to have a Pretty Cure dance ending with No Game No Life-style animation...

...don't get me wrong here, I love it. I don't watch the anime in Japanese, but it's nice to see Serena getting an ED of her own. It's all very cute, and I'm totally fine with that. xD

Hmmm , No game No life type Animation.
You know , The Anime should use ''No Game No life'' Type Animation to Animate Laverre City (Valerie's Gym) .

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
And it has plenty of shonen elements to it. But it also appeals to people of all genders so like... let there be girliness lol it's cute as heck and it's been a part of previous sagas and is going to be more a part of this saga now. Don't be restricting what an anime can be based on classifications.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Yeah, it didn't feel like a pokemon ending at all. And that is why I love it. I would be awesome if they actually did this type of animation in the anime and not just the animes. I really hope they do this in competitions when she starts doing those. I really really loved this though.

It is very possible that Serena will pass all pokemon characters in development. But my question is this, why are they putting so much focus on her if she is just going to be cut out of the anime at the end? My hope is that she will last one more generation and arc similar to that of the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
It is very possible that Serena will pass all pokemon characters in development. But my question is this, why are they putting so much focus on her if she is just going to be cut out of the anime at the end? My hope is that she will last one more generation and arc similar to that of the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier.

So much focus? Serena practically did nothing for the whole first year of XY and its only now after 47 episodes that she's captured a Pokemon and gotten a goal.

May and Dawn were both tremendously more focused on and developed in their first year than Serena is now. By this time in AG May had won her first Contest and had 3 Pokemon, and Dawn had 4 Pokemon and was on her Contest losing streak until her rebound.

I'm also surprised you don't remember that Dawn got an ending theme at the very first episode of DP. What they're doing with Serena now isn't any different than past girls. I just think Iris has made people forget how the leading protagonists from the games are treated in this show.

As for the ending I do like the animation and wonder if this will be in the show with Serena dancing.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
I kind a disappointed with Serena's Twin-tail !
Probably because I believe her to be even cutter with Twin-tail.
Considering the Game Serena looks good with her Twin-tail.
I guess it probably her bang's fault ! That Bang really doesn't go well with Twin-tail.
Speaking of Which , How Serena would look like with her Original Bang ?
Her bang is different when she show up in her Pajama. You all have notice it right .

Serena has the ability to look like Lady Caitlin ! However , I don't think I will find Serena as majestic & graceful as Lady Caitlin even if she dress up like Caitlin & become a Kalo queen.

(Also, "Kid Shonen" is redundant)

Pokemon is a Shouene based Kid Anime.
Just like Crayon Shin-tan is a Kids Anime but aimed toward Adult .
Kids Animes has different category and Kid Shouene is one of them.
But this Show tries to follow more Shoujo where the MC saved the world by using Love & Hug instate of fighting the enemy directly.
While in Shouene focus on the MC become even stronger then before and facing enemy far far stronger then before.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
So much focus? Serena practically did nothing for the whole first year of XY and its only now after 47 episodes that she's captured a Pokemon and gotten a goal.

May and Dawn were both tremendously more focused on and developed in their first year than Serena is now. By this time in AG May had won her first Contest and had 3 Pokemon, and Dawn had 4 Pokemon and was on her Contest losing streak until her rebound.

I'm also surprised you don't remember that Dawn got an ending theme at the very first episode of DP. What they're doing with Serena now isn't any different than past girls. I just think Iris has made people forget how the leading protagonists from the games are treated in this show.

As for the ending I do like the animation and wonder if this will be in the show with Serena dancing.

As far as I know, Dawn did not have a big part in the openings like Serena has gotten. Dawn was also less focused, it was mainly about Ash still. Not to mention there is very little, connection to Dawn and Ash as there is with Serena. And as of right now, Serena has an entire arc like this based around her it seems.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
As far as I know, Dawn did not have a big part in the openings like Serena has gotten. Dawn was also less focused, it was mainly about Ash still. Not to mention there is very little, connection to Dawn and Ash as there is with Serena. And as of right now, Serena has an entire arc like this based around her it seems.

If you watched DP, you'd pretty much know Dawn got everything you're saying and more. Her ending theme was at the end of the first episode and most of the first half of DP heavily focused on her outside of the Paul episodes.

I'm also kind of confused how you think Serena has an entire arc about her is any different than the Contest episodes. You don't remember them doing the same thing with the two coordinators?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
It more Kid Shoujo type of Ending.
Hopefully we will get Kid shouene type of ending someday.
1) Kid shoujo?
2) Kid shounen?
3) shounene?

WHAT THE FUG?!

Dude, what Hiroshi was trying to explain is that the part "Kid" is absolutely redundant.
Shounen and Shoujo terms already cover the part you call "kid".

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
If you watched DP, you'd pretty much know Dawn got everything you're saying and more. Her ending theme was at the end of the first episode and most of the first half of DP heavily focused on her outside of the Paul episodes.

I'm also kind of confused how you think Serena has an entire arc about her is any different than the Contest episodes. You don't remember them doing the same thing with the two coordinators?

The development is just in contests. That is all. They have no development in anything else. I did watch DP and Dawn was no that big of a focus. It was mainly on random stuff or just development in contests.

With Serena, we see her having conflicted feeling toward the future, pokemon, traveling, relationship and all of that. I also do not consider. When I say Serena has a whole arc, I am talking about her being in front of everyone else in the newest opening. That has never happened, Ash is always in the front. It is true that the contests are arcs, but they are also not. You could say the same with gym battles.

May is far more developed that Dawn and therefore Serena is almost equal to May, to me.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
Are we mixing up screen time with development...Dawn did the most. She was much more involved in battles and seemed (almost...) to be Ash's equal. The most out of all the other main characters. I feel like both May and Dawn were more involved in conversations, whereas they've kept Serena to the back, and involved Clemont more instead. Even the title sequence text for the DP openings mention it being Hikari's story as well, when all the others only mention Satoshi.

But May was a bit more developed, I suppose because her first few episodes she didn't even like Pokemon and had to decide what to do. Serena didn't like the idea of camping at first, and got over that. She's not been sure what to do, which she shown every now and again, while not really doing too much...I think they kept that going a bit too long. She is now involving herself in battles a bit more. So yeah, I could see Serena being as developed as May by the end of XY but she definitely hasn't had the focus on her in episodes so far like Dawn or May did. So perhaps the new segment in the opening and the ending is a sign that they're going to shift that change.

When I talk about development though, I am talking in rather tiny terms. This is Pokemon, after all, haha.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
When I say Serena has a whole arc, I am talking about her being in front of everyone else in the newest opening. That has never happened, Ash is always in the front. It is true that the contests are arcs, but they are also not. You could say the same with gym battles..

Did you ever watch the first DP opening, especially in Japanese? Dawn was in the center of most of the shots including the Japanese eyecatches that played during the commercial breaks. Dawn got the entire first episode of DP to herself, and if you look through the DP episode list she got a constant stream of episodes. Likewise Dawn already had 4 pokemon by this time in DP and two rivals. When DP was airing all people talked about was how she was a co-star and how much focus she was getting.

Serena is arguably the least focused on female companion yet. Out of 47 episodes that aired so far she got maybe 5 of them focused on her and she hasn't made a capture in that time till now.

Years
The animation is awkward at some parts but.. omg. ;~~~~; This is insanely cute. I didn't think Pancham would fit Serena as much as it does, especially in this ending.

can we keep this ed forever? 8D

Back