• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm gonna mod _______. And then climb higher!

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
Lol, modding is no grand feat. I used to mod what is now known as the Fan Clubs & Groups forum, which used to be separated into three parts.

Being a mod's great if you love coming to PC. Gives you some sort of role that goes beyond posting in topics you enjoy. When I aspired to be a mod, I thought it was gonna be awesome. And I achieved my goal, which in itself, is awesome. But I got pretty bored of it, my forum was quite tame and the most repeated offense was off-topic discussion, which is more of a chore to take care of than anything.

That said, being a moderator for a forum that sees a lot of activity (akin to ORAS or X/Y forums), or a lot of community activities (a la Video Games) would probably be way better/more rewarding.

I think the most rewarding would be a position in administration, where you can actively contribute, either in the form of ideas or in the form of code, to the improvement of the user experience. Though I don't know where vBulletin stops and the PC admins start on that one.

And to iterate less on my own opinions and answer the topic at hand, I wouldn't want to moderate any forum. If I was forced into it (which, lol) I'd take up General Chat, but I think there are way more deserving members that post there.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
However, one thing I'd advise to users is: don't try to make it overly obvious that you want to be a moderator.

No offense to you, but I hate it when people say this. I hear it all the time that people shouldn't be open about wanting to be a moderator. In all honestly, what's wrong with showing a little drive and/or ambition? As long as you're not constantly messaging an admin going "i wanna be a mod," I think it's perfectly find to being open about a desire like this. I think it's really petty how users will call out other users for "posting too much in a section" and "trying too hard to be a mod." Rather, it just shows the commitment that a user has for that section and the enjoyment they may have in providing community discussion.

Long story short: make quality posts, don't be an arse to others, and continue thriving to become a moderator and if you play your cards right, then you can easily get this position. Just need to be vigilant is all.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
No offense to you, but I hate it when people say this. I hear it all the time that people shouldn't be open about wanting to be a moderator. In all honestly, what's wrong with showing a little drive and/or ambition? As long as you're not constantly messaging an admin going "i wanna be a mod," I think it's perfectly find to being open about a desire like this. I think it's really petty how users will call out other users for "posting too much in a section" and "trying too hard to be a mod." Rather, it just shows the commitment that a user has for that section and the enjoyment they may have in providing community discussion.

Long story short: make quality posts, don't be an arse to others, and continue thriving to become a moderator and if you play your cards right, then you can easily get this position. Just need to be vigilant is all.
It's pretty bad advice, I think.

As someone who used to choose moderators, I didn't like people asking me if they could become a moderator, but if people make it obvious that they're interested, I always made it a point to at least consider them, and if they proved to be the best fit for the job, I would cast my vote for them.

When I wanted to be promoted to moderator, I made it clear to pretty much everyone.
When I wanted to be promoted to super moderator, I made it clear as well.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I don't think that there's anything wrong with someone stating that they want to be a moderator. It's just that you then get those people who're obnoxious or arrogant about it, and that's why asking to become a mod is generally frowned upon. I think that Zach was talking more about those kinds of people.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I don't think that there's anything wrong with someone stating that they want to be a moderator. It's just that you then get those people who're obnoxious or arrogant about it, and that's why asking to become a mod is generally frowned upon. I think that Zach was talking more about those kinds of people.

Whether those people ask or not doesn't really matter. They won't get the position anyway.

Years
Perhaps I could have expanded farther in my post, but your interpretation of what I said was not exactly what I had in mind. As Zac stated above, I meant those that make it overly obvious by going to a super mod/admin and asking to be one.

Believe me, what you described above is exactly how I became a mod, more than likely, and everyone else too. I noticed the lack of activity in my section before I was promoted, and I didn't want to see it die and become inactive. I reported threads that didn't belong just as any other member would, and actively posted in it.

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
if I were to a mod a section I'd probably do Culture & Media because I know a lot about all the topics there. General Chat would be fun too as that's what I'm most active in other than C&M.

Years
As a higher staff member I can definitely say that showing desire to be a moderator will absolutely not hurt your chances to be promoted. We won't go digging through your messages to find those one or two posts where you said you'd enjoy the opportunity to be a staff member nor would it really affect anyone's vote unless you're obnoxious about it. But that goes for everything in life, really. ;P Though we have "suddenly" promoted people that we knew wanted to become moderators from their posts in threads like these (looking at you, Zekrom).

If I were back as a moderator I would go for welcomes again or Pokemon Trivia. I love my little forum games and PokeTriv is really in the shadows nowadays with little activity. </3 Promotions to higher staff were not something I ever expected so I freaked out when abnegation asked me for advice and then linked me to my congrats thread. omggg

i love reading replies in these

Years
If I was to become a moderator, I'd like to moderate Forum Games and/or Pokemon Trivia. Those sections don't seem to be too much work, as I've never seen locked threads in either section. (Granted I haven't been here for very long, but still.) Another reason why I'd like to moderate those sections is because I am very active in both of them, and would have fun moderating them.

And if I was offered a promotion, I would also like to stay bold blue, as being a super moderator/administrator would be hard on a forum as big as this one.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'd like to be a moderator one day, at least to try it. I'm not really active right now to do it at the moment, but i think I can definitely do it and I would say it's one of my golas and dreams to moderate a section. I tried to become the mod for The Welcome Lounge before, but they have enough mods there now and I haven't posted there in months. Forum Games is where I'm most active now so if I were to promoted anywhere at the moment, it would be there. I have also dreamed of modding this section, cause it is probably my favorite section on the whole forum. :)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Being a moderator is hella fun. If you ever become a moderator, don't try to climb higher. Don't do it!!! You will get bored and you'll be orange. And no one likes orange. You know which candies get eaten first? Blue. What do you try to pawn off to your naive cousins or siblings? The orange ones. Yeah. Who actually says their favorite color is orange? Like 1 in 1000 people. You see where I'm going.

Please don't fire me, I'm just mAKING A JOKE

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
While other members outright state that they are interested in becoming a mod, that is ok with them. I have a different angle. When it comes to becoming a mod, the main way I would be interested in becoming a mod if I was asked to become one. As for which section I would be interested in modding, I would say that it is a toss up between Video Games and Culture and Media.

Years
As someone who was both a mod and on h-staff years ago... I don't want to do it anymore! You guys have fun with it. I'll have fun popping in and out as I please and not posting for weeks at a time.

(Seriously, it's nice to just not care that much about PC anymore. I had issues taking this place too srs bsns years ago. >__> My time on staff was fun but it's long gone.)

Years
Whether those people ask or not doesn't really matter. They won't get the position anyway.

Hear hear

I used to mod D&D and was quite romantically idealistic (relevant thread here) about it and that made me really stressed and quit. I wouldn't mind doing it again, since I've mellowed down quite a bit and won't be too frustrated at myself if people aren't posting there 24/7.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Imo being a mod isn't that exciting. I was a mod for Pokemon General for a short time and I found it to be really boring, but I think that's because it depends on the kind of person you are and how you feel towards this site. I mean I did enjoy pc at the time, but I've never been gung ho about anything here and I've never had a tight knit circle of friends here. Being a mod to me is a very social thing online and I'm just not a social butterfly online nor did I have much interest in the other people who were mods to be social with. So to me it was just like something extra I had to show up to and it lost it's charm quickly which is partly why I quit so soon.

If I had to mod a section again I would either go for general chat or back to pokemon general.

Sirfetch’d

I loved modding this section because it was so laid back and friendly. I left for personal reasons after a short tenure though. If i was chosen to mod again, it would definitely be for this section because it's the only place I post really haha. I'd probably accept.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I'm already modding the section I want to mod, and I don't really want to mod any other, so I'm pretty happy here.

As for moving up, if the higher staff offered my a position as a super-moderator, I would take it. It would be pretty cool, considering the past two people who have modded FF&W are now s-mods, and I would just carry along the torch, haha. It would be nice, but I'm content running my little corner.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
I have absolutely zero interest in becoming a mod. Sure, it's a fancy title, and I want to became PC famous somehow never happening tho, but becoming a mod means you have to think of ways to improve your section, handling the posts and threads that come and go, etc., which is something that I prefer not to do. :v

As far as a modding a forum before... I've only became staff-admin of a ridiculously low-activity forum once, just because I'm a close friend of the owner (and she's terrible at those kind of things so why not?), and maintaining it during the 2 years it was alive is fun and all, but... nope, I'm not doing that again. It's not my thing anyway. P:

But if I were to choose a section... eh, there are many people worth the moderator status than me in each section, plus I tend to come and go to many places, so I'll go anywhere that is not Creative Discussions or D&D.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
I have absolutely zero interest in becoming a mod. Sure, it's a fancy title, and I want to became PC famous somehow never happening tho, but becoming a mod means you have to think of ways to improve your section, handling the posts and threads that come and go, etc., which is something that I prefer not to do. :v
It isn't as much work as you're making it out to be, haha. As long as you love the section in question, it'll all seem like a natural thing that you'd normally do. Take it from someone who has experienced it once. ;)

As for Mods being PC famous - that isn't true at all. Sure, having a bold username makes people look at you differently but, well, as soon as the boldness is taken away from you, you're just like anyone else. I've seen cases where a staff member had a great say in a lot of matters. But as soon as he resigned, people started taking his posts/opinions less seriously and actually interpreted them incorrectly - sometimes even accusing him of deliberately trying to be rebellious when he was just being himself. The point I'm trying to make is - the limelight that you receive when you become a part of PC Staff team is temporary. It is better to strive to be a better member and naturally achieve that status of being "PC Famous" instead of wishing for modship to happen to you so that you can become PC famous. The PC Famous status that occurs as a result of the former lasts much longer than the one that comes with the latter, believe me.

But if I were to choose a section... eh, there are many people worth the moderator status than me in each section, plus I tend to come and go to many places, so I'll go anywhere that is not Creative Discussions or D&D.
GURL, DON'T PUT YOURSELF DOWN LIKE THAT! Whether or not you're worthy will be decided by the hstaff - just keep doing your thing and, who knows, you might just be deemed worthy enough by them? I mean, a n00b like me got lucky once. If I can, anybody can. :p

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I've been modding my two favorite sections for a while now. Mission accomplished, I won life. I've said before that blue mod is the most fun position I imagine you can have on PC, as long as you don't freak out and stress yourself up over whatever troubles your section has. It probably is. But now I've been here for quite a while and I think I finally actually want to become a yellow mod, yes. I won't be promoted though, since I kill a part of Went's soul every time I call them yellow instead of orange.

In any case, I'd always poke around and try to run the Roleplay Corner, no matter what color I had. Even if I was ever off staff again 8)

Back