• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: MrDollSteak's Decap. and Attack Rombase

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
MrDollSteak's Decap. and Attack Rombase (Version 1.5a)

Intro:

This is a rombase for Fire Red.

I was inspired after being involved with the 'Move Resources Thread' to make a patch that includes all these moves for new hackers who aren't comfortable with hex editing yet, or for those who just haven't yet been bothered to expand all the tables, and even people who are capable of doing so, but don't want to do it all again for a new hack. When repointing the relevant tables and adding all the new move information I also decided to put all of them in lower case to match the Gen 5 games. As such I decided to decapitalise the whole rom.

Overview of Features:

- Decapitalisation
Spoiler:

- Pokedex Fixes
Spoiler:

- Physical/Special/Status Split
Spoiler:

- Physical/Special/Status Split Icons
Spoiler:

- 131 New Gen 4 and 5 moves, with space for 26 custom moves
Spoiler:

- Updated Move Effects, Base Power and Accuracy for existing moves
Spoiler:

- Updated Movesets for Pokemon
Spoiler:

- Sound Moves hit through Substitute
Spoiler:

- New Abilities
Spoiler:

- New Items
Spoiler:

- The Fairy Type!
Spoiler:

Screenshots:

- Examples of Decapitalisation
Spoiler:

- New Moves
Spoiler:

- PSS Icons and Move Descriptions
Spoiler:

- Fairy Type
Spoiler:

Things to note:

The game leaves all Firered Scripts untouched, so the game itself can be played should you just want Fire Red with decapitalisation, the PSS and Gen 4 and 5 moves and abilities.

I will often be updating this Rombase with new moves, effects, animations and abilities, once I make them. As such if you want to make custom moves; start from the back of the list, so future patches don't conflict. I will likely leave space for at least 20 new moves, so bear that in mind.

This base IS compatible with Jpan's Hacked Engine. Though you will need to apply this rombase FIRST, otherwise the decapitalised scripts will overwrite the free space and various tables in there.

This base IS NOT compatible with hacks that are in progress.

This base IS NOT compatible with YAPE, if you want to edit moves or Pokemon, you will have to use G3HS, G3T or Pokemon Game Editor.

In order to maximise compatibility with G3HS, I have changed the name of the rom from BPRE to MrDS, this means it WILL NOT WORK in any romhacking tool except for G3HS UNLESS you change it back AFTER opening it in G3HS!

To do this open the rom up in a Hex Editor and change the bytes at 0x0000AC to say BPRE and NOT MrDS.

The ini for G3HS has been UPDATED so you will need to REPLACE it with the one I provide in the download.

Bugs:
Spoiler:

Credits:
Spoiler:

Download Link:
Spoiler:

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Great job! One question though, will you be updating this anymore and what will be included in future updates? Any INI for the Gen 3 Suite tool?

Ivee

Ask me about Trailblazer :3
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2019
This is AMAZING, thank you for doing all of this hard work and compiling everything! It looks fun to nuzlocke, too. After all of the bugs are ironed out, what are the chances for an Emerald base?

jan2prado

Eat, Sleep, Repeat!
Years
So how did a Rom Base went into the Sideshow Showcase O.o.. anyways.. I love your hack/rom base it makes the game more interesting in terms of the features it has.. simple and not too flashy :D

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 24, 2021
Version 1.5 is in the changelog, but the download link claims to be for an earlier version. Have you just not fixed this yet, or have you not posted 1.5? Or is 1.5 not finished yet and you've only listed what you've finished so far? The main bug fix, for example, is kind of a big deal for me.

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2015
Version 1.5 is in the changelog, but the download link claims to be for an earlier version. Have you just not fixed this yet, or have you not posted 1.5? Or is 1.5 not finished yet and you've only listed what you've finished so far? The main bug fix, for example, is kind of a big deal for me.

I really can't wait for the Snow Warning/Weather Ability fixes. To me, that is most important. I'd honestly rather that crucial fix, than new features. But we can't rush MrDollSteak. He is doing a wonderful job with all of this! This and his sprites. Congats man, dunno how you do it all!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Amazing! Truly. :) I've tried it but I've found a bug/glitch on it: In the Move Tutor, I found the Fairy type symbol displaying. Well, here's the screenshot for it:

neo_twilightfr_0004_01_by_raileysxerilyasrx-d7lqz6n.png

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Going to move this to the Resources forum because it probably fits better there now that we have one.

Moved.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 21, 2014
Do you plan to release the source code, like what Jpan's hacked Engine did, for different purposes like porting or fixing bug, or maybe we can write something new base on it.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 23, 2024
This patch is truly amazing, but I have found one slight problem: I'm trying to edit some pokemon on PGE but the game won't allow it for some, even if they aren't fairy types (I've tried with Sceptile). Could you help me find a way around it?
Other than that, keep up the good work :-)
EDIT: ignore the first bit, I've replaced the INI and it now works fine

Last edited:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
Do you plan to release the source code, like what Jpan's hacked Engine did, for different purposes like porting or fixing bug, or maybe we can write something new base on it.
There's not really much need to do this is there? I mean there's already a detailed list of where in the ROM everything's been altered. And not to diminish MrDollSteak's brilliant work, but most of the work done outside of animations (now I could be wrong, because I haven't seen every single move ASM or hexcode post in R&D) is documented already in various posts all around Research and Development. It's not quite like the hacked engine in this case. Or am I wrong here?

Back to the topic at hand, I've heard tell about Gastro Acid bugging out and causing the game to freeze. Has anyone else seen this happen?

Last edited:

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Would still be rad if this was open source, as that lets people add things to existing projects if they have the know-how. Studying existing code also makes it easier for outsiders to tweak it or add new things. (The ability implementations in particular are scattered and not exactly documented anywhere on PC to my knowledge.)

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
Hey everyone, yeah 1.5 isn't out yet, the stuff in the changelog is just the stuff I've already fixed.
I want to try and fix some more glitches before releasing it. I've also been really damn busy.

In regards to the open source thing, that's not really a problem at all.
The only thing I think that would need to be sourced would be abilities if anything.
As Projectwolfie said, the majority of edits are well documented elsewhere.

I'll start work on releasing information with offsets and things.
The implementation of many abilities could certainly be improved if people want to look into them.

As for some of the bugs you've reported.
The Fairy type thing in the move relearner makes sense, because I replaced the -effect- thing with the Fairy type as I believed it was unused by the game. It should be easy enough to fix, just need to find the routine that loads the 0x16 (the new fairy type but old effect index) and change it to 0x17. The table may need repointing.

Can't say I've heard about Gastro Acid bugging out. I'll look into it.
1.4a ended up being a lot more buggy than I intended because I sort of rushed it a bit. I seem to have broken a few things that were actually working previously.

DiamondBlueMoon

The powerful Tyranitar
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 1, 2017
Erm, I have problems opening the patch with type-related tools, for example:
- Move Editor 1.1? Error: Get target int
- YAPE 0.9: Error reading base stats
Therefore I cannot edit Pokemon types or pokemon moves
Do you know why? I hope you could reply. Thank you.

Last edited:
Years
Erm, I have problems open the patch with Move Editor 1.1? It said: "Error: Get target int"?? Do you know why? Thank you
Did you read the .txt file that came with download? It's called "Howtosetupcustommoves". Move Editor is not compatible because rombase extends moves amount and various tables, so to edit moves you must use PGE.

EDIT: You can't use YAPE too, because of the same reason. Download G3HS (Generation 3 Hacking Suite) and read the documentation to make rombase work with the tool.

Last edited:

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
I myself loved how easily it was for me to make this tool compatible with another tool not listed here, G3T by Kurapika, simply by editing the .ini file so that it was compatible with it. It even added the slots for custom moves :), in its nice drop down menu. Although I had to edit some effect bytes, it was still worth it. The .config file that was packaged in the .zip proved to be quite useful. Thank you, this is an amazing patch.

Last edited:

DiamondBlueMoon

The powerful Tyranitar
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 1, 2017
I have a little question here, if you are to release the new patch (1.5), can we patch over the impending hack we are working on (1.4a applied), or do we have to restart the whole hacking-process?

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen May 3, 2022
I have a little question here, if you are to release the new patch (1.5), can we patch over the impending hack we are working on (1.4a applied), or do we have to restart the whole hacking-process?

From what I've seen he's always released update patches, and in most cases things are rather easy not counting the odd repoint of data because something was added.

When working with this patch, the only time I had to do any backtracking was re-applying the fairy type remover: it would reset movesets of all Pokemon at about Marill's place and down. Other than that all is well.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 25, 2017
Could you increase the Pokedex size please? And add DS-style tilesets, it would be perfect ^^

Back