• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Approved] Battle Bash

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    This will be a tournament where players get points for battling on Showdown. Some ideas:

• 10 points for each battle won, and 5 points for each battle lost. Team-building formats (i.e., anything that isn't random) provide an extra 3 points regardless of the battle outcome. The goal is to incentivize team building without making random battles too irrelevant.
    • A new format on the PC's server called Spooky Random. Basically, a random format that includes Ghost- and Dark-types, and probably Poison- and Psychic-types too. Pokemon like Zubat, etc.
    • Allow Fortune Cup battles to count. Only problem is if Fortune Cup battles dominate, so both tournaments might result in the same winners. I don't think that's a problem, but I'm open to any suggestions if there are concerns. Could reduce the points earned for each Fortune Cup battle by -3 or so.
    • Provide point bonuses each day (or every ~3 days) for certain formats. For example, OU could provide an extra 3 points each battle for ~3 days then Spooky Random and so on.
    • Provide point bonuses for maintaining a streak of battling each day. This would incentivize consistent activity, but it'd probably be too unfair for people with busier lives.
    • A bot that people can battle for points, capped at a limit each day or for the whole event duration. It'll have to be a bot that has functional battling AI, unlike PokeCommBot.
    • Live elimination tournaments on Discord where each battle counts towards this and there's a bonus for winning it.

Years
  • Yeah, I really like this! The streak thing I agree with yours and GP's points here - it's a cool idea but am worried it somewhat tips the scales in favour of players who can make it more frequently.

In terms of formats, what would you be looking to put into the pool? I see you mentioned OU and was jsut wondering if you're going to stick to UU/RU/NU/PU etc or are we going to see things such as Monotype and that make it in?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Agreed, I won't bother with the streak idea. Also, I intend to lower points earned for participants in the same team, like what was suggested for Fortune Cup.

One more thing, I just remembered that 1v1 battles exist. Instead of disallowing them, I'm thinking about adjusting the points for everything. 6v6 and 4v4 (VGC) battles could offer 60 per win / 30 per loss (different team) and 30 per win / 15 per loss (same team). 1v1 could offer 10 per win / 5 per loss (different team) and 5 per win / 2 per loss (same team), which is just dividing by 6. Then the point bonuses for battling in the showcased format would be multiplicative, like 30% of points earned will be the bonus. Random battles would be reduced by 30% of points earned. Granted, this makes everything more complicated, so it might be better to disallow 1v1/3v3 altogether.

Yeah, I really like this! The streak thing I agree with yours and GP's points here - it's a cool idea but am worried it somewhat tips the scales in favour of players who can make it more frequently.

In terms of formats, what would you be looking to put into the pool? I see you mentioned OU and was jsut wondering if you're going to stick to UU/RU/NU/PU etc or are we going to see things such as Monotype and that make it in?
    I'm open to anything. Monotype will definitely happen because of its popularity. I'm thinking about going in the order of Spooky Random, OU, and Monotype. Each of those would last 3 days (maybe 2 days?). The last two are a toss up. Probably Little Cup and UU? Another interesting format would be 1v1, because of how different and fast-paced it is. It'd be a lot easier to make teams for too. I might ask the participants for suggestions on the last two showcased formats and choose whatever is popular or interesting.

Last edited:
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    WIP OP:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Agreed, I won't bother with the streak idea. Also, I intend to lower points earned for participants in the same team, like what was suggested for Fortune Cup.

One more thing, I just remembered that 1v1 battles exist. Instead of disallowing them, I'm thinking about adjusting the points for everything. 6v6 and 4v4 (VGC) battles could offer 60 per win / 30 per loss (different team) and 30 per win / 15 per loss (same team). 1v1 could offer 10 per win / 5 per loss (different team) and 5 per win / 2 per loss (same team), which is just dividing by 6. Then the point bonuses for battling in the showcased format would be multiplicative, like 30% of points earned will be the bonus. Random battles would be reduced by 30% of points earned. Granted, this makes everything more complicated, so it might be better to disallow 1v1/3v3 altogether.

I'm open to anything. Monotype will definitely happen because of its popularity. I'm thinking about going in the order of Spooky Random, OU, and Monotype. Each of those would last 3 days (maybe 2 days?). The last two are a toss up. Probably Little Cup and UU? Another interesting format would be 1v1, because of how different and fast-paced it is. It'd be a lot easier to make teams for too. I might ask the participants for suggestions on the last two showcased formats and choose whatever is popular or interesting.

Post looks good btw!

I think in the interest of keeping things a little simple in an event where I imagine most people won't really be as it were thinking about this that much, it might be best to disallow 1v1s and 3v3s altogether.

Regarding the other metas, I would be happy with something like Little Cup and ZU, but I also like the idea of making it tailored to the crowd! Maybe a poll throughout the first week and then have those showcased formats run the second week?

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Post looks good btw!

I think in the interest of keeping things a little simple in an event where I imagine most people won't really be as it were thinking about this that much, it might be best to disallow 1v1s and 3v3s altogether.
    You're probably right. The only really notable formats are 1v1 and 1v1 Random, and dropping those isn't a big loss anyway.

Regarding the other metas, I would be happy with something like Little Cup and ZU, but I also like the idea of making it tailored to the crowd! Maybe a poll throughout the first week and then have those showcased formats run the second week?
    A poll is a good idea!

Could we get your Discord info so we can give you access to the EO channel?
    awolffromspace#3387

I'll update the OP soon with a simpler points breakdown and some details regarding the battle bot and live elimination tournaments.

Years
  • Yeah everything looks good to me - yes unfortunately the server was canned a while back, probably should've mentioned that in hindsight, sorry about that.

Back