• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokeemerald] Battle Timer System (Legends: Arceus Inspired)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I've often not liked simplistic uses of Speed in turn-based RPGs, where it just determines who goes first each turn, and that's that. I liked ATB (Active Time Battle) systems, since faster characters would get more actions in over the course of the battle than slower characters. Pokémon Legends: Arceus implemented a similar structure to its turn-based system, and I wanted to see if it was possible to implement something similar in pokeemerald. I believe I have accomplished just that! This system should work for both base pokeemerald and pokeemerald-expansion projects, but if there ends up being some sort of a problem due to me not catching a compatibility issue, just point it out in this thread, and I'll try to fix it A.S.A.P.

How it Works:
    Spoiler:

Acquisition
    Spoiler:

Help Wanted:
    Spoiler:

Known Bugs:
    None yet, but I'm sure that won't last long.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2023
    You are a genius.
    LA system looks better than original one.
    I guess this require to edit most of the moves, such as Quick Attack or Aqua Jet; they do not hit first anymore. Instead they boost Speed, but in LA stats boosted does not last forever (or until next change). Some moves like Protect are pretty useless (LA doest have it, it does?)
    And moves like Hyper Beam just increase user timer instead of "skip" the next turn.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    You are a genius.
    LA system looks better than original one.
    I guess this require to edit most of the moves, such as Quick Attack or Aqua Jet; they do not hit first anymore. Instead they boost Speed, but in LA stats boosted does not last forever (or until next change). Some moves like Protect are pretty useless (LA doest have it, it does?)
    And moves like Hyper Beam just increase user timer instead of "skip" the next turn.

I appreciate the compliment!

Moves like Quick Attack or Aqua Jet are currently edited so that they multiply the mon's speed while calculating how the timer should be adjusted. They kind of act like a single-turn speed stat increase. And yeah, Protect/Detect/etc. aren't all that great at the moment. I plan on editing the priorities of moves like that so that they work a bit better. I might have it so that Protect waits until every other mon has taken an action before the effect ends? I dunno.
    I actually forgot to account for Hyper Beam/Giga Impact/etc....good catch! I'll fix that soon.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2023
    I appreciate the compliment!

Moves like Quick Attack or Aqua Jet are currently edited so that they multiply the mon's speed while calculating how the timer should be adjusted. They kind of act like a single-turn speed stat increase. And yeah, Protect/Detect/etc. aren't all that great at the moment. I plan on editing the priorities of moves like that so that they work a bit better. I might have it so that Protect waits until every other mon has taken an action before the effect ends? I dunno.
    I actually forgot to account for Hyper Beam/Giga Impact/etc....good catch! I'll fix that soon.

Well, Quick attack (and alike moves) in LA increase user Speed +1 for 5 turns (like Reflect or Light Screen). For 3 or 8 turns if using Agile or Strong Style, but i think you aint looking forward for Style implementation, right? Anyway the standard time effect is 5 turns (and does not stack, so if used 2 times, you will have Speed sharply boosted for the next 3 turns only. Sounds a bit tricky, but looks more tactical and avoid to over-buff some mons and smash a whole team with it lol - someone said Garchomp + Dragon Dance?)

Your system stack the action timer upon pokemon swapping/defeating? Because LA did. And its cool, so sometimes you can even attack with your mon right after a switching or when get out the ball, even with a slow mon such as Rhydon

Back