• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Best moveset for a Modest staraptor?

Years
  • So i have a staraptor with a modest nature and it's moveset so far is: Final Gambit,Aerial Ace,Close combat and Fly - do i need to change out moves for better ones cause idk what the best moveset is for it.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Modest is a rather bad nature for a Staraptor, though it's not necessarily a death sentence for regular playthroughs and you can eventually acquire Mints to change the nature anyway.

Current moveset you have for it isn't bad though, the only thing I'd change is Final Gambit. Close Combat is great and something that helps set Staraptor apart from some of the other regional birds, Aerial Ace is a solid move that can help deal with any obnoxious evasion shit you may encounter, and I take it Fly is a necessity since you probably don't have anything else in the party to Fly on (if you do, Brave Bird makes for a much better high power Flying STAB). Not exactly much to put in place of Final Gambit though, Staraptor's movepool is a little limited and it largely does what it needs to with a few moves. There's like, Roost or Quick Attack or something I guess.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yeah drop Fly, you don't need it. My preferred Staraptor moveset is:
    - Double-Edge / Return (one has more power, the other doesn't have recoil)
    - Facade / Strength for STAB. The former gets stronger if you're hit with status (although I don't think it's common in-game), the latter is more powerful normally.
    - Brave Bird (this also has recoil, so with Double-Edge does mean it'll faint quick)
    - Close Combat (Fighting coverage is amazing)
    - U-turn (so you can use Intimidate to weaken an opposing Pokémon then switch to a better match than Staraptor).

I'd probably give it a Sitrus Berry to hold given its going to use at least one recoil move. I know BDSP's Pokémon League is tougher than DPPt but that moveset has been on plenty of Staraptor for me and its always played very well.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Brave Bird is a must. Close Combat for coverage against Rock, Steel, and Ice. And definitely U-Turn so it can pivot after lowering its stats with CC or its HP after BB, and come back later with another Intimidate.

For the Normal STAB, well, since Return doesn't exist anymore, and Double-Edge is an egg move, there isn't really a good Normal STAB for Staraptor without breeding (except maybe Giga Impact). Maybe Quick Attack or Facade for a safer Staraptor but it won't hit as hard.

Aerial Ace is situational but it could potentially work against Flint's Infernape, if Drifblim uses Minimize + Baton Pass switch on it. Defog can also help to shut down Lucian's Mr. Mime walls.

Years
  • true - its a good thing the staraptors like friendship is maxed cause it dodged a move so that i can land a crucial hit!!

(Currently trying to finish national dex atm sort of - working on eeveelutions so that their out of the way)

Back