• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Bug-Catching Contest

Years
  • Have you ever participated in the Bug-Catching Contest in gen 2? Ever won first place? Maybe you got lucky and nabbed a shiny from it?

I used to participate pretty regularly and reset if I didn't get first place. Lots of fond memories for me doing these contests back in gen 2, and looking for the best Scyther or Pinsir I could find. 👍

Years
  • I have participated multiple times.... in HGSS, so that doesn't count I guess. Won at least once there, but don't remember what mon I won with.
    In the Crystal VC I participated once. Didn't win.
    Regardless of which game I game I go with, no shinies from this.

I don''t really participate in them to win either. More of a 'if there happens to be one I'll enter'.
    I never really went out of my way for the timed stuff in Johto tbh.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Competed and won several times. Likely tried for fun, back in the day. Needed a Sun Stone for Sunflora, most recently. Hoped for a quick win with a first encounter Butterfree. Placed second. Waited for a Pinsir on the second try. (Would have won with Butterfree on the second try.)

Never found a shiny this way.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I did it more when I was younger, though I still usually do it at least once on new playthroughs of the Johto games.

Found a shiny Beedrill one time, though I was unfortunately not able to get it, it really did not want to go into a ball and eventually ended up KOing the Pokemon I brought

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    i remenber the closest i got to winning was 2nd place with a Scyther, lost to a pinsir.
    even though i gotta admit i dont remember which prizes i got, was still a really fun event to play lol

Years
    • Seen today
    I don't think I've ever won legitimately, perhaps once at best. First time I played I recall reloading my save several times because I was curious about what was the first place reward and I didn't want to miss it.

Pointless, btw, since I've never had Bellosom or Sunflora in neither GS nor HGSS playthroughs. After that I just play the Bug Catching Contest if I'm interested in adding one of those Bugs to my team.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • LOVE the Bug-Catching contest. Probably why the Sun Stone's my favorite Evolution Stone. And yes, I've gotten first place several times. Scyther or Pinsir usually does the trick.

My second Shiny ever was a Weedle from National Park, but not during the Bug-Catching Contest. Found one during the contest in HGSS though (the very first encounter, IIRC).

bez850

Professional Amateur
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    I'm about to post something having to do with this, but only slightly!

So yes, a million times yes!! Gen 2 is hands down my favorite pokemon generation. I am an old head, and have a few extra weak spots for the first two generations.

I was old enough in 99/00 to have played Gold when it came out fresh! The contest has always been one of my favorite features. Scyther, before Gen 4 or 5, was an ultra competitive pokemon. Scizor, originally was one of the most broken pokemon you could have in Gen 2. Sword dance with steel wing/fury cutter for stab, with guillotine as well, legitimately made Scizor a walking 1 hit KO machine.

The only downside to the contest is its focus on the older bugs. I like the uniqueness of obtaining pineco and heracross, but yanma should be a contest exclusive pokemon, I'd argue sunkern is misplaced in there, just little things I notice as an adult and i didn't as a kid.

I'm definitely nitpicking on that last one lol sorry!

I've won many, but other than a pokedex, Scyther was almost ALWAYS the goal!

Years
  • I love Bug-Catching Contest. I used to return to it every day it was open. I won few times and usually put the first Pokémon I caught during the contest on my team.

Back