• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Bulbasaur's vine whip

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2023
    Is it just me or does the level that Bulbasaur learns its first move at level 13 a little weird?

Like, when I was little (like 9 or something), I was playing Pokémon Green and I got to Pewter city, but I didn't have a grass move, (right about now it was level 8) so I grinded and grinded and grinded until FINALLY got to level 13 so I could fight Brock without getting pummeled into the ground.

This is all my opinion though.

And my opinion is not always valid.

Years
    • Seen today
    Well, it learned it just in time for Brock, since he had a level 12 Geodude and level 14 Onix. It's not like there was much use for Vine Whip before Brock's gym, would have been a bit frustrating to learn a move that early game Pidgeys, Spearows, the Nidorans and all the Bugs in Viridian forest resisted so Tackle and Leech Seed are more useful at that point anyway.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It's Gen 1, so weirdness and shit is to be expected

Years
    • Seen today
    No doubt but still weird when conpared to the other two kanto starters, who learn a damaging STAB move sooner

Indeed, but Squirtle got Bubble, which in Gen 1 was only 20 BP. Only Charmander learned its 40 BP STAB before level 10.

Gen 1 learnsets were pretty terrible in general anyway.

Years
  • Absolutely weird. I expected it to be around lv. 9 like Charmander's Ember but Bulbasaur got the unfair treatment, poor thing. Always had to do a bit more grinding as a kid when I chose it lol.

Years
    • Seen today
    Actually, the bullied starter in Gen 1 was Charmander.

Bulbasaur had a pretty friendly early game. It couldn't get poisoned (which is a frequent annoyance in Kanto), had access to a self healing move to save some potions/backtracking, and it also had an advantage against the first three gyms, giving the player more time to assemble the rest of the team.

Charmander was trolled by gym order, late game Charizard being weak to Ice and not being capable of learning a single Flying move in R/B, and also only 85 Special Attack instead of 109. Not to mention the Fire type in Gen 1 wasn't that good since Steel didn't exist, only two Ice types (Jynx and Articuno) were weak to Fire, and Grass and Bug were a joke you could take down with pretty much anything.

Years
    • Seen today
    ^ Because the Anime decides what becomes popular, not the games. Pokémon that get a special treatment in the TV series get their popularity skyrocket in the games.

Gameplay-wise, the Charmander line in Kanto was as good as Chikorita in Johto :). It could mostly only shine against early/mid game Bugs and Grass types... something a Fearow could take care of without any problem. And those types nearly stopped being a thing in the late game.

Squirtle was the most favored Kanto Starter all around, with Blastoise being capable of remaining truly helpful even against the Elite Four.

Back