• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Classic artwork

Years
  • Classic artwork
    Classic artwork

The series' artwork has evolved a lot over the years!

Do you prefer the classic Ken Sugimori artwork of the early days, or Pokémon's current style? Here are some old and newer Sugimori art comparisons!

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • Recently I've realized just how well some of the old art holds up. I saw Sugimori's FRLG artwork of Pikachu in some recent advertisement (I can't remember what it was for unfortunately) and it was the only time I realized "Oh, I've seen that art before, how old is it" and was shocked to find out it's just about 20 years old. I think they were still trying to figure out exactly how they wanted some Pokemon to look in the newer gens, especially Gen I, so when changes do happen to their design (like Pikachu becoming slimmer) it's really interesting to me. I think a lot of the newer artwork just looks more polished but I think the way they were coloured looks a lot more appealing and I wish that could have stuck around. This Oddish especially reminds me of the whole watercolour aesthetic and I think it'd be cool if official art for the Pokemon felt like they came out of some old research study with ink pens and watercolour paints and that sort of thing, it'd be like how Monster Hunter has these stylized icons for its creatures.

BWZ

Days
    • Seen May 17, 2024
    Spoiler:

A real feast for the eyes :love:

There is this guy named Tomycase on DA who likes to does colors of newer gen Pokémon, gen 1 style. It's as good as you expect it to be.

Spoiler:

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
    • Love
    Reactions: BWZ
    Back