• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[WIP] Competitive Pokemon News: Tournament Scandals

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
    Introduction
    Whenever you take a recreational activity and add a competitive element to it, there is the unfortunate, yet inevitable, side-effect of attracting people who will do anything to win - no matter how morally bankrupt their method is. In poker, people shove cards up their sleeve, hoping to win big. In professional sports, such as cycling, people will take performance-enhancing drugs to give themselves an unfair advantage and almost guarantee "victory". In competitive Pokemon, people will cheat in a myriad of ways in order to win recognition and the appending of a 16x16 pixel bitmap image on their Smogon postbit.

If one of those examples stands out to you for the wrong reasons, then that is mission accomplished. Despite the fact that competitive Pokemon is played almost entirely for fun, rather than for material gain (with one exception), an extremely small, but prominent, minority of people insists on conducting themselves in a manner designed to give them the "edge" over their opponent. By ghosting or manipulating brackets, players can make their opponent's life hell as they either assault them with plays dreamt up by a crack team of five people or make the brackets such that they can advance through a tournament more easily. At worst, their conduct acts as an indictment on their character and, at best, they just look pathetic.

Unfortunately, in the last 18 months or so, the reputation of major competitive Pokemon tournaments has taken a giant nosedive as a result of a disappointing and unexpected spike in these incidents. While cheating in competitive Pokemon has always been a thing, it has been catapulted to the spotlight of late by virtue of two of the biggest and most prestigious tournaments Smogon hosts, namely the Official Smogon Tournament and the Smogon Grand Slam, being ruined by cheaters and liars. In this article, I will explain the methods used by cheaters to game the system, cover the incidents of bracket manipulation and ghosting that have resulted in such massive community outcry, and detail the methods enacted by Smogon's Tournament Director team to combat this blight on the community.

It should be firmly established from this introduction that, while it has been made extremely prominent due to the nature of the affected, cheating in Pokemon games is an extremely uncommon occurrence that the vast majority of people would never and do not engage in. It is also something that Smogon is trying to stop, and, in my eyes, forging ground towards stopping.

How do people cheat in the first place?
    One may wonder how, with so many safeguards in place against hackers and the like enacted by programmers, people cheat when playing on Pokemon simulators. Unfortunately, it is much easier to cheat than it sounds. The first and by far both the simplest and widespread method is what's called 'ghosting'. The second but much more uncommon (yet more dangerous) method is through bracket manipulation.

Ghosting
    Normally, when playing competitive Pokemon, you make your own decisions without anybody else's assistance. If you are playing for a team tour, ideally the most help you will receive is damage calculations on the go from your teammates. Nobody will tell you what plays to make, suggest plays the opposition might make – nothing of the sort. You're on your own. This is optimal as it ensures that whatever plays are made are a reflection of your ability, not the ability of a puppetmaster.

Ghosting is where you act as the 'player', but your decisions are either influenced by or the product of other people. Here is a scenario:
    Prince Brian commences a BW Ubers battle with Fomuga. Both are on their own: they are not talking to anybody on Skype, they haven't called their Brazilian Pokemon prodigy friends over to their place of residence to watch – nothing. On Turn 1, Prince Brian leads with Darkrai. Fomuga leads with Choice Scarf Genesect. Prince Brian becomes flustered as he realizes that his only option is to switch out, while Fomuga has an advantage because he can pivot out with Genesect's U-turn and gain lots of momentum. Knowing that becoming flustered will do nothing but hurt his playing ability, Prince Brian notices that Ord Loutrage, his friend that happens to be very good at BW Ubers, has just logged into Skype. Prince Brian starts a Skype call with Ord Loutrage, screenshares the battle that is taking place with him, and gets Ord Loutrage to help him think of plays he can make to defeat Fomuga. Ord Loutrage obliges, and suddenly Fomuga finds himself in a sticky situation as Prince Brian, who, unbeknownst to him, is getting ghosted by Ord Loutrage, suddenly makes plays that not even a fusion of Anti and Dark Azelf could produce. Prince Brian wins and takes the credit, while Fomuga is left to lick his wounds over losing a Pokemon game he would have won normally.

Last edited:

Aurora

Years
    will be done in the next few days or so, sorry. i had a pretty busy weekend and much of my time here was taken up by matters relating to the purple colouring in my postbit

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
    will be done in the next few days or so, sorry. i had a pretty busy weekend and much of my time here was taken up by matters relating to the purple colouring in my postbit
    could i perhaps assist you by making this article a cover image?^_^
    if so, ideas you have yourself?​

Aurora

Years
    could i perhaps assist you by making this article a cover image?^_^
    if so, ideas you have yourself?​

oh yes please. i sketched something that might work

Spoiler:

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
    oh yes please. i sketched something that might work

Spoiler:

unfortunately i am the only one of the daily artists who does not draw
    i only do editing in photoshop
    if you want an awesome drawing i suggest you ask fairy or somebody else who has got drawing skills because i got none;-;​

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Gonna chuck in a quote notification to them in that case!

Fairy said:
    Rivvon said:

@ Aurora - skim read super quickly but it seems like a good start! Will note on this:
    suddenly makes plays that not even a fusion of Anti and Dark Azelf could produce
    Idk if all readers will appreciate/know who these are, so maybe a note added in (...fusion of battling veterans Anti and Dark Azelf...) would help. Also would put their names in italics, maaaybe link to their profiles too but less sure about the latter as the article isn't about them.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Hmmm, looks good but seems like it could be a big project. If any other the daily artists wanna collab on this one, I'm happy to work together on this! We can delegate roles later, but if anyone is up for it let me know.

Also @Aurora - so the idea is that someone is sitting at their computer getting "ghosted", right? Do you think we can use the good'ol classic Pokemon ghost sprite as a base? (or other such ghost pokemon?) Or are you pretty dead set on your idea? Just wondering how much creative room we have to work with! :)

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Hmmm, looks good but seems like it could be a big project. If any other the daily artists wanna collab on this one, I'm happy to work together on this! We can delegate roles later, but if anyone is up for it let me know.

Also @Aurora - so the idea is that someone is sitting at their computer getting "ghosted", right? Do you think we can use the good'ol classic Pokemon ghost sprite as a base? (or other such ghost pokemon?) Or are you pretty dead set on your idea? Just wondering how much creative room we have to work with! :)

I'd love to collaborate once we get an idea of how much leeway we have for the image. I think it would be cute if there were some Ghost Pokémon included, but ultimately that's up the Aurora and it's a solid idea regardless!

Aurora

Years
    k finishing this in the next day or so, sorry

will add ~artistic vision~ when i edit this post with the jubilant news i've written this article

Back