• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Concept: Pokemon Crystal Reimagined

Days
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024
    Literally came up with this concept within the last week, so bear with me as I spout off all these ideas, lol. So basically I was inspired by Pokemon Crystal Clear and Crystal Legacy, but neither hack really "fixed" what I saw as the main issue with gen 2. That issue is the game is just so bare bones. Like every area just seems so short you basically walk from one town to another collecting badges with very few things to do. Then you make it to the elite four and everyone's team is under level 50. Then Kanto is just tacked on and is even more bare bones. Crystal Legacy fixed the issues of most gen 2 pokemon not even being available until Kanto and balancing issues and such and I do want to do a lot of that.

So what I'm thinking is a hack that adds more content into Johto. What I'm thinking so far is make Union cave bigger similar to Mt. Moon in Red and Blue. Add more trainers to routes and such that are lacking. Just generally make it more of an adventure instead of a region full of optional stuff where the routes and caves just feel like getting from one Gym to the next. One idea I'm liking more and more as I think about it is make it so Goldenrod has a ship port on the left side and make it to where you go to Cianwood instead of Ecruteak and you get Surf there so you then have to go to Olivine and then Ecruteak. This was possibly an idea the original developers had and I think it just makes sense.

However, I'm completely new to pokemon rom hacking and using disassemblies in general. So the question I have to those with the technical knowledge is how realistic is this hack? Ideally I'd like to keep Kanto in and possibly add more content to that as well (at least put Viridian forest back in!), but not sure if the game is big enough for all that. If it's not possible to fit all of it in I would probably just cannibalize Kanto and focus solely on Johto. Toying with the idea of having Johto have their own Pokemon League and maybe add in the Kanto Pokemon League and Mt. Silver as post game content. So I guess my main question is how much room is there in the rom to expand and add some more maps?

Thanks for listening to my ramblings and I'd be happy to answer any questions. I'm not aware of any hacks that have done something like this, but if there are any please share!

Back