• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Dark Tall Grass

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    In generation V only, there was dark tall grass. Here, Pokemon will be at a higher level. There's also Dark long grass, where wild double battles can occur. Dark tall grass has never appeared in the franchise since.

Did you ever venture through dark tall grass? What was your opinion on wild double battles? Tbh, I miss this feature. Pokemon calling for help in Gen Seven wasn't the same thing. I really wish later games would bring wild double battles back, but I'm starting to doubt they will.

Figment

Professional Falinks Enjoyer.
    Years
    I honestly agree with wanting them back, they were a really cool feature that added a great new dynamic to tall grass. I really liked wild double battles as a whole, to be honest. I will say that, im not sure if I prefer the Gen 5 tall grass system or the Gen 8 tall grass system if it was refined a bit more.

Years
    One thing I loved about Gen V was the variety of ways you could grind/train and encounter wild Pokemon. The dark tall grass was pretty cool, giving us stronger encounters and wild double battles, add in the rustling grass and Unova actually had a few ways to get immersed in the world, instead of the standard tall grass which has been a staple forever!

Years
    nothing will beat the chanseys in rustling grass. but dark grasses are also essential for grinding in unova!!

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    They were great to adding an extra layer of depth to the level design. It was smart to hide Trainers and special Items past the dark grass, rewarding players brave enough to wade through them. And of course, it added more ways for players to train, which was necessary because of the Exp. system.

I also much prefer the set double battles over SOS chaining, because SOS chaining very frequently ran the risk of overstaying its welcome and making it harder than necessary to catch wild Pokémon when your target would keep calling for help over and over. And it honestly kind of rubbed me the wrong way when the in-universe justification for SOS battles was "it seems like Pokémon in Alola are just nicer and help each other" when BW/B2W2 already had wild Pokémon fighting together.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
    Definitely missed this feature. It was so great to customize Smeargle because when I did this in Gen 6, I was wishing for the Dark Grass back.

But yeah, much rather have double wild battles over SOS because the former is less random and there's a chance you don't fight the same Pokémon.

TheRose

Youtube Lets Player/Twitch Streamer
    Years
    • Age 34
    • NJ
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    i didn't really like the wild double battles. I often wanted to catch a pokemon during those battles but i'd end up KOing it trying to faint the other one to catch what i wanted.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
    Tbh, i absolutely loved the dark grass feature with double battles, especially when I was a kid because i had this habit of training up a team of 6 level 100 Pokemon. Ah, good days.

Back