• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spinoff/Mobile Did you find any of the mobile games pay-to-win?

How do you feel the monetization is on the Pokémon mobile games? This includes past games that have shut down as well as all the current ones. Did you find any to be particularly greedy, or some to be fairly generous?

Extra: What do you think about Pokémon, a series primarily marketed at kids, to have mobile games with a gacha system?

Figment

Professional Falinks Enjoyer.
    Years
    For me atleast, someone who has been playing it since 2020, Pokemon Masters is one of the better gacha games for f2p players, it doesn't really require you to get the big new unit most of the time. Most of the content is perfectly clearable without paid units. Masters also has a pity system where if you spend about 1.5 months worth of f2p gems on a single banner, you get it guaranteed. So if you simply resist the temptation and save and only go for your favorites, your should get what you want without paying a dime.

Pokemon GO has the really bad ticket system for some events which I hate. You also only get remote raid passes once a week, which severely limits f2p players. So Pokemon GO is pretty pay to win.

Cafe Mix/Remix has been pretty pay to win as of late due to the introduction of the new delivery system, as the game was not originally designed with that in mind and still only gave you like 1000 acorns every month. This recent update though starting with Electrode seems to fix that issue as all the event rewards have been adjusted to give almost 5x more acorns than before.

Never played Unite.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Pokemon Go can be very pay to win because of the limited remote raid passes per week. I know some players with several shiny legendaries when I can't even get a single plain version of a legendary. It takes me at least 2-3 raid battles to catch a legendary. I happened to get a shiny Kyurem by luck as it was my first Kyurem.

For Pokémon Masters, the story content seems straightforward enough, but it's difficult to resist the temptation to throw a few freebie gems at a banner. Money goes a longer way...

I feel the monetization in the mobile games is a disservice to fans. Why should I spent $12 to get a shiny Mew or something? I missed the window so I'll probably never get one of the rarest shiny mythical ever. :/ I wouldn't mind having to do the challenges.

For me atleast, someone who has been playing it since 2020, Pokemon Masters is one of the better gacha games for f2p players, it doesn't really require you to get the big new unit most of the time. Most of the content is perfectly clearable without paid units. Masters also has a pity system where if you spend about 1.5 months worth of f2p gems on a single banner, you get it guaranteed. So if you simply resist the temptation and save and only go for your favorites, your should get what you want without paying a dime.

Oh, this is great to hear tbh. I mostly play Masters on auto mode and don't really keep up with end-game content, so I wasn't aware it's gotten a lot better in that regard. So you can use f2p units to clear most things?

Back