• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do people who think gen V pokemon designs are bad are genwunners?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    No. Inevitably contains some, much in the way that all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

Also, some Reddit polls:
    Favorite Generation from 5 - 9.
    Result: 52.7% of the vote

Favorite Generation Overall
    (Note: Voted for Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4, Gen 5, or Gen 6/7/8.)
    Results: 3rd in the votes (behind Generation 4 and 3)

And because why not, PokeCommunity Favorite and Least Favorite Generation.
    (Just favorites).
    Gen 1: 1
    Gen 2: 1
    Gen 4: 5
    Gen 5: 10
    Gen 6: 3
    Gen 7: 1
    (plus one user with several favorites)

Likely catches people still into Pokemon, admittedly. Regardless, do not worry about Generation 5's hate. Does just fine.

Last edited:
    Years
    I don't think so. I don't like gen V designs, but I also find Gen I designs pretty meh. My favourite designs are in Gen VI and VII.

I think Gen V has way too many humanoid and edgy designs. Most Pokémon from this gen are bipedal and/or takes itself way too seriously. Oh look, it's angry bipedal fire pig! And angry bipedal ice bear! And angry bipedal dragon! And angry bidepal toad! And another angry bipedal dragon! And angry bipedal turtle! And angry bipedal crocodile! That's so boring!

Gen V did a lot of stuff right, best in the whole series actually, but Pokémon design isn't one of those things.

Years
    • Seen today
    Can't see what does one thing have to do with the other.

Gen 5 was intended to be a soft reboot, and a good portion of its roster were in fact recycled tropes and ideas from Gen 1. That's apparently the main reason why many of its designs were criticized.

If anything both Gen 1 and 5 seem to be usually called for introducing some of the worst/most uncreative designs. But it's not like they didn't have some great ones, or that other gens don't have questionable designs either, but those two gens added more Pokémon than any other, so I guess bigger roster = more chances of not so good designs.

Gen 5 was required to add at least 150 new Pokémon because B&W were the first Pokémon games that wouldn't feature any Pokémon from previous games during the main game, so that requirement ended up leading to some questionable designs and Pokémon that seemed like fillers or Gen 1 rehashes.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I wouldn't say that all Pokémon fans that criticized Gen V's Pokémon designs were "genwunners." Different fans simply have different opinions on what they enjoy in regards to Pokémon designs. Personally, I believe that Generation IV introduced some of the worst designs. Pokémon like Magnezone, Magmortar, Electivire, Rhyperior, Togekiss, and so on could have been designed so much better in my opinion. I am also not the biggest fan of Palkia's design.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Disclaimer: Never heard the term before you brought it up.

According to KnowYourMeme, yes.
    KnowYourMeme said:
    Genwunner is a pejorative term used within the Pokémon fandom to describe those who only appreciate the first-generation of video games for GameBoy, namely Red, Green, Blue and Yellow, and tend to bash the sequel titles and monsters in the franchise. It is also used to describe Transformers fans that have the same feelings about anything past the 1980's transformers series.

Knows none of the connotations that come with the word. Could see it being bad if used dismissively (and especially inaccurately). Probably also mainly gets directly towards people who only played the original games, but nothing after that. May have happened for a variety of reasons, not all of them voluntary (such as finances). Potentially comes off as a little elitist, in the same way that "outsider" or deriding someone for only playing/enjoying one game in a long series would be.

But again, see the above disclaimer.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
    I'm on the opinion that Gen 5 had some of the strongest designs in the series, even if you exclude my personal favourite Pokemon from the equation. Even if Gen 5 has mirrors to Gen 1, it still has creative takes on a different species of a bat, pollution, and a martial artist style to name a few while also expanding on original designs and concepts. I do believe Gen 5 has some missed opportunities but it's minimum. I'm also on the opinion that Gen 5 being hated does not automatically assume that person is a Genwunner (as mentioned by others) unless they purely hate Gen 5 for not being like Gen 1. Do I find Gen 5 being hated unfair at times? Sure but people are allowed those tastes and opinions, even if I do not hold those thoughts.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I believe generation 5 has some of the coolest designs in the series. My favorites include Volcarona, Hydreigon, Whimsicott, and Lilligant. Some are perhaps even over-designed, such as Scolipede, Escavalier, Galvantula, Sigilyph, Reuniclus, Chandelure, Eelektross, Haxorus, Heatmor, Braviary, Golurk, etc. These Pokémon have so many colors, spikes, spots, lines, and other markings. You wouldn't dream of seeing these kind of markings on generation 1 Pokémon. The originals were more simple with choice of color pallet, for example, Pinsir, Scyther, Alakazam, Gengar, Electrode, Dugtrio, Onix. I imagine the limitation was a result of RBY sprite color issues; however, some generation 1 Pokémon were re-colored in later generations, such as Ivysaur.

To each their own! There are plenty of generation 1 and 5 Pokémon that I adore. For example, Dewgong... So boring, yet so (icy) cool! Everyone is allowed an opinion on which Pokémon (and generation) are their favorites. There are 1,000 Pokémon over 9 generations to choose from.

Setsuna

♡ I hope the world~
    Years
    I think that argument has a little weight, I think that's true for some people. But since Gen 5 introduced the most new Pokemon with the idea that you're stuck using them throughout BW, I think it's really easy for people to hate the Gen 5 designs specifically. Yes, people can make the argument that Timburr is just Machop or a garbage Pokemon is a stupid idea even though Muk exists but... It's sorta just pointless arguments to me.

People will have their opinions on what gen is the best and a lot of the time it's what they grew up with, I'm somewhat guilty of that, I think the designs just shouldn't be written off, and Gen 5 is a really easy punching bag.

Back