• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Manga] Do you like the manga/comics?

Years
  • Seems like there are a lot less series manga fans around, at least compared to things like the video games and anime.

Do you like any of the manga/comic series? If so, which was your favorite?

I read a lot of Pikachu's Electric Boogaloo as a kid and had a few volumes in my house, so it has a special place in my heart lol. Also the original Adventures in Kanto!

Days
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I read the first couple of arcs of the Pokemon Adventures manga years ago when I was consuming literally every piece of Pokemon media I could and it was...fine, I guess? I liked the slightly darker shift in tone (as a teenager I tended to confuse "dark" with "mature" so I was drawn to it) but to be honest I've always struggled to read manga generally and it didn't really hold my attention in the long run. I have been meaning to give it another try, because from what I've read online the later arcs are quite good stories, but...well, I've been meaning to get back to it for about a decade. I don't see it happening soon.

Years
  • I don't really read Manga all that much in general.
    I've picked up a bunch of physical Manga for other series years ago, but then just kinda stopped. Never really felt like it picking it back up either.
    In general I just prefer to watch an Anime instead.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
    Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    I gotta preface this by saying I was professionally diagnosed with autism at a young age because it probably won't make sense otherwise.

When I had the Pokémon Adventures manga (Volumes 1 and 3) as a teen, I had a habit of skimming over the pages before reading the full story, and in the case of this manga series, I ended up skimming through it so much that I'd never actually read it proper. I've only ever done this with this series and the 2nd Big Nate graphic novel, which ... I don't think I liked, but it probably isn't fair for me to judge since I didn't read it from beginning to end. I recently bought the whole set for Red/Blue and Yellow. (Yellow is the 2nd arc because the early days of TPC were weird, I guess?)

Volume 15 is the only other volume I owned as a teen, and it actively bugged me with its changes. Most of it wasn't a big deal in hindsight like Mr. Briney being genuinely bothered to rescue Ruby from drowning at the end of the volume. The big change I hated (and still hate) is that the author had no idea what to do with two protagonists, so he gave Sapphire (the girl) the gym challenge, and made Ruby the one who likes contests, which ... I've seen one person who actually liked the contests in RSE, so it seemed dumb to me. Someone tried to reason with me about this change and made me hate it more because Ruby.

I think I had one comic for The Electric Tale of Pikachu as a kid, but I was not at all a strong reader, so the only parts I am familiar with were Ash catching a wild Pikachu causing trouble in town, Pidgeotto leaving a note inside its Pokeball like "Went for some R&R --Pidgeotto," and the ending where Jessie and James are expecting a baby. Oh, and ... also, a higher-up at TPC apparently did a bunch of drugs cuz they hired a [[HYPERLINK BLOCKED]] artist to draw that story. At times... it was a bit offputting.

Back