• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Dv breeding?

Days
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Is dv breeding impossible or just a statistical nightmare in vcs gold, silver, and crystal?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Looks unpleasant.
    1. Cannot breed two Pokemon with the same Defense DV AND same Special DV (or +/- 8). Makes it tough to slowly improve a Pokemon.
    3. Takes the DVs of the opposite gender parent. Assuming that: Grabs Defense 100% of the time and Special 50% of the time. Randomizes Attack and Speed.
    4. Offers no in-game way of viewing DVs. Might figure it out with a calculator. Probably means leveling the Pokemon a bit.

Also discovered gender is determined by Attack DVs. Means only male Pokemon (or Pokemon of a female-only species) can have maximum DVs in Attack.

Hm. What are the odds of breeding a perfect DV Pokemon?

Assume two non-Ditto Pokemon with an even gender ratio. Has a female parent with maximum Defense and Special DVs. Makes no difference what the male Pokemon is.
    Male egg: 1/2 chance
    Defense: 1/1 chance
    Special: 1/2 chance
    Attack: 1/8 chance (8 - 15 DV range because of being male)
    Speed: 1/16 chance

(1/2) * 1 * (1/2) * (1/8) * (1/16) = 1 / 512, or about a 0.2% chance.

Days
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Not sure if I can thank and compliment you here on this thread because admin user arcaneum said not to. Would it be better to dm you or tell me which thread is right for this? I don't want to break the rules unknowingly.

Back