• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Planning] E&M Trivia

Years
  • THE EVENT

Similar to VG Trivia, myself and Starlight will be hosting an Entertainment & Media trivia extravaganza! We'll be hosting a plethora of questions spanning TV, Film, Music, Books and Sports and across a range of events too including crosswords, picture rounds, sound clips and much more.

This will run throughout the Get-Together, I think it may be better to alternate days we ask questions but I am happy either way Taylor if you are to do a round every day also. Either way, I think ending on the 22nd will be good to then have time to total up points for the end of the GT.

CHANGES FROM LAST YEAR

So mainly I'm putting Taylor's idea in here, where we're looking to include a Six Degrees type factor to the event. What this means is that we have the answers and then teams will try to discover the [up to] 6 "degrees" or links of separation between them. An example being:

"Britney Spears" and "Uluru"

Link 1 - Britney Spears -> Neil Young
    Link 2 - Neil Young -> Powderfinger
    Link 3 - Powderfinger -> Uluru

I believe this is how it works but do correct me if I'm wrong Taylor! Either way I'd love to include this so even if we add it as say a bonus part to each questoin for bonus points or something?

As it's not something really implementing a 1st/2nd/3rd scale, I think it would be best as a longform event to just go the standard 100/50.

ACHIEVEMENTS

Similar to VG Trivia, probably some more generic ones such as:

- 90% average score throughout
    - More than 2/3 rounds at 100%

but also

- Scored 100% of [TV/Film/Books/Sports/Music] section correct

Years
  • I should be able to do every day unless something changes yes.

Six Degrees of E&M was planned be a forum feature, but that will now obviously come after the GT. I intended to list two random eligible people (from any area E&M section covers) without links being confirmed beforehand - that way section staff could play along too - and even though we won't be taking part here, I see no reason this would run any different.

So we simply list two random names, and the teams can confer and discuss while trying to find suitable (verifiable by a trusted source such as Wikipedia, IMDB, anidb etc.) links.

Perhaps it might increase the fun to offer a smaller number of points for each link, with full points as the prize for the whole six or whichever team finishes first etc?

Years
  • I should be able to do every day unless something changes yes.

Six Degrees of E&M was planned be a forum feature, but that will now obviously come after the GT. I intended to list two random eligible people (from any area E&M section covers) without links being confirmed beforehand - that way section staff could play along too - and even though we won't be taking part here, I see no reason this would run any different.

So we simply list two random names, and the teams can confer and discuss while trying to find suitable (verifiable by a trusted source such as Wikipedia, IMDB, anidb etc.) links.

Perhaps it might increase the fun to offer a smaller number of points for each link, with full points as the prize for the whole six or whichever team finishes first etc?

So to clarify, this will be a part of the normal trivia we do as well? I'd be happy to do that to almost trial it for the full forum event after the GT!

Regarding points - as in we should do points for each part individually? I think it will be good to be consistent, so if we want to do a separate structure for what you've mentioned, then thinking about doing so for the other bits too.

Years
  • re: points and structure - I'd suggest that whatever you do, you keep it simple. Once you start adding more variables to things it becomes less enticing to participate and more bothersome to run as well.

Years
  • re: points and structure - I'd suggest that whatever you do, you keep it simple. Once you start adding more variables to things it becomes less enticing to participate and more bothersome to run as well.

So to clarify, this will be a part of the normal trivia we do as well? I'd be happy to do that to almost trial it for the full forum event after the GT!

Regarding points - as in we should do points for each part individually? I think it will be good to be consistent, so if we want to do a separate structure for what you've mentioned, then thinking about doing so for the other bits too.

Yes all normal trivia too!

I envisioned just two blocks of points. One for the main trivia part as a whole, and one other set of points for each day's 6 degrees.

My plan was to have points for each step along the way of 6D, pretty much like the challenge section did last year, to spur teams to try for as many links as possible, but ultimately you peeps are the GT experts so I'm happy with whatever you decide 😊

Years
  • Yes all normal trivia too!

I envisioned just two blocks of points. One for the main trivia part as a whole, and one other set of points for each day's 6 degrees.

My plan was to have points for each step along the way of 6D, pretty much like the challenge section did last year, to spur teams to try for as many links as possible, but ultimately you peeps are the GT experts so I'm happy with whatever you decide 😊

Sounds good to me - in that case it will be good to run it as two separate events, we'll keep it all in here but yeah, we can run it similar to how I run VG Trivia and VGM Trivia!

With that in mind, happy to do the points for each step of the 6D, what do you think would a good amount for each? Should we stick to something small such as 5 points maximum per connection? I just don't want to say put a value of 20 points a connection and someone manages to come up with something that generates like WAY too many points!

Alternatively, we could do like you mentioned and a flat amount of points for completing it and then points for each link. I think I'd like this more actually. Only thing is that if we plan on doing it every day, we need to be careful about what we do, as even something as small as 20 points is going to mean 260+ points just for completing it and then even if it's done in just say 2 steps, that's a lot of points just on its own.

We could run them on alternate days, so it gives people a chance to really dig deep and get loads of links and potentially generate points that way?

LMK what you think.

Years
  • Sounds good to me - in that case it will be good to run it as two separate events, we'll keep it all in here but yeah, we can run it similar to how I run VG Trivia and VGM Trivia!

With that in mind, happy to do the points for each step of the 6D, what do you think would a good amount for each? Should we stick to something small such as 5 points maximum per connection? I just don't want to say put a value of 20 points a connection and someone manages to come up with something that generates like WAY too many points!

Alternatively, we could do like you mentioned and a flat amount of points for completing it and then points for each link. I think I'd like this more actually. Only thing is that if we plan on doing it every day, we need to be careful about what we do, as even something as small as 20 points is going to mean 260+ points just for completing it and then even if it's done in just say 2 steps, that's a lot of points just on its own.

We could run them on alternate days, so it gives people a chance to really dig deep and get loads of links and potentially generate points that way?

LMK what you think.

I think every other day is fine, because it gives teams a chance to debate and discuss it.

The points should be small enough per link, so as not to over score, but also big enough that it's worth the effort to come up with extra links.

Speaking of alternative days, we could always alternative it with the normal quizzes if that would be easier, but I'm fine with every day for the regular quiz too.

As for the regular quiz, I assume we are having a different theme each day (say songs one day, picture round the next etc.) or do you want a mix each day?

Years
  • Arc and I have decided to keep the above separate. Arc will be hosting the Six Degrees of E&M, while I will be running 14 different daily events with around 10 questions each day.

Entertainment & Media
    Quizarama!!!

I will be hosting a different event each day during the GT - 14 daily events in all - spanning subjects covered by the E&M section (Film, TV, Music, Books, Sport etc.)

The rules are simple:

★ Every day I will post a new event in the second post of this thread.

★ Teams should confer and discuss the questions and possible answers.

★ It is supposed to be a fun way to bond with your team-mates so please no googling the answers.

★ Teams will get 1 point for every correct answer!

★ You will find the closing time in the daily post. Once your team has agreed on as many answers as possible for that day's event, one member of the team should submit them to me before the deadline either:

On the forum via Private Message
    Or on Discord at Starlight#9696

★ I will accept each team's first set of answers only.

★ The most important rule: HAVE FUN!

Last edited:
    Years
  • To hop onto this - points for the above will be 1 per correct answer, so we're looking at a total close to a longforn event anyway

For Six Degrees I'll probably do a similar thing of a few points per link found. I in fact may look at 1 point per link but also include some special like conditions as well (so for example, bonus points for getting less than 3 links or more than say 15).

That said I know what people are like and someone would probably sit there all day and find like 50 links if possible, so may implement a hard cap. I think this will actually add to the challenge as you'll need to get it within that limit rather than trying to just get it done in as many links as you can find.

Years
  • Six Degrees of
    Entertainment & Media

Hi everyone and welcome to E&M's new addition to the Get-Together - Six Degrees!

What is Six Degrees?

Six Degrees is a game based on the theory of six degrees of separation (that in theory there are 6 links between yourself and any person in the world). You'll have to get from point A to point B in a number of links (normally six), by starting at the Wikipedia page for point A and using links on the page to then reach point B.

This event will be running in a similar manner, but with a few twists!

How the event works

In this event, there will be two subjects (related to E&M) randomly generated and teams will need to come up with a series of links to connect the two. The different will be that generally speaking, the more links you can get, the more points you will get for your team, but more on the points later.

Names will be generated, then teams will have 48 hours to find and compile their links. Answers should be sent as per the following example:

"Britney Spears" and "Uluru"

Link 1 - Britney Spears -> Neil Young
    Link 2 - Neil Young -> Powderfinger
    Link 3 - Powderfinger -> Uluru

If you could provide something to just show where the actual link is on the page, whether that be a screenshot or just a snippet of the sentence it's in, then that would be great (just to make things a bit easier to check!).

The important bit - how to win! The team that has the most points at the end will, naturally, win. Points will be scored as such:

- 20 Points for getting 3 or less links
    - 20 Points for getting 15 links (15 exactly, anything more will not count)
    - 1 Point per link, if anything between 4 and 14 links

Achievements

Yep, this event has some Achievements that teams can also earn, to try and get that edge over the other team and also add a bit of spice to the event! The achievements are as follows:

• Media Mogul - Manage to create a set of links that involves all of the E&M categories (Sports/Film/TV/Music/Books) - 20 Points
    • Top of the Pops - Create a set of links exclusively all to do with music - 10 Points (5+ links only)
    • Slam Dunk - Create a set of links exclusively all to do with sports - 10 Points (5+ links only)
    • Bookworm- Create a set of links exclusively all to do with literature - 10 Points (5+ links only)
    • Game of Thrones - Create a set of links exclusively all to do with TV - 10 Points (5+ links only)
    • Lights, Camera, Action! - Create a set of links exclusively all to do with film - 10 Points (5+ links only)

These can only be earned once, so whoever gets it first gets it forever!

Rules and such

So as with all the Trivia events... just try not to cheat as much as you can please! I appreciate that you may not know some things in the articles and such but your team is there for a reason, so ask around! I know there are sites etc. that automatically create the links for - obviously please do NOT use them (believe me, I will be comparing your answers against them so don't try!). Otherwise, keep it civil and enjoy the event as well as the Get-Together!

Last edited:
    Back