• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Emerald In-Game Team

Days
    • Seen Jun 17, 2023
    I am looking to start a Lets play and wanted to plan my team. I am struggling between a few members. I realize I have two water types but I have never used Milotic and figured I'd give her a shot. Open to all suggestions.

Blaziken - I usually pick Mudkip as my starter so I figured id mix it up. With the ability to get Ludicolo (Water and Grass) it made the Starter choice easy.

Blaziken
    Ability: Blaze
    Naive Nature
    - Thunder Punch
    - Flamethrower
    - Body Slam
    - Brick Break

Ludicolo - I am not going to lie, I have been watching and playing Colosseum recently and I love Miror B. Plus the typing is interesting.

Ludicolo
    Ability: Rain Dish
    Calm Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Leech Seed
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf

Aggron - I realize that Aggron is more like a triceratops but it looks similar to a rhino, and it is among my favorite Pokémon.

Aggron
    Ability: Rock Head
    Brave Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Double-Edge
    - Surf

Flygon - Again, among my favorite Pokémon and its typing is good. I wanted a dragon on the team, I don't really have anything to say good or bad about Altaria, and Salamence is way to late game.

Flygon
    Ability: Levitate
    Hasty Nature
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Flamethrower
    - Crunch

Milotic - I have never used a Milotic before (probably because of the difficult way to obtain) and figured it would be pretty good.

Milotic
    Ability: Marvel Scale
    Modest Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Waterfall
    - Dragon Breath
    - Recover

Gardevoir - Gardevoir Is a great psychic type.

Gardevoir
    Ability: Synchronize
    Timid Nature
    - Psychic
    - Thunderbolt
    - Calm Mind
    - Will-O-Wisp

Any changes or suggestions are more than welcome Thank you!

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    (Disclaimer: Not that familiar with Emerald.)

How are you creating your team? Are you hacking things in, or are you relying on in-game methods? Asks because of Will-o-Wisp on Gardevoir. Learns that as an egg move. Finds all three Will-o-Wisp learners by level-up (Vulpix, Shuppet, and Duskull) all near Mt. Pyre, past Winona (Gym #6). Would be a pain to level up a Ralts from an egg then, but doable. Notes similar circumstances for Milotic and Dragonbreath.

Spotted three moves (Thunderpunch, Body Slam, Rock Slide) from Battle Frontier tutors, also. Believes that to be postgame. (May be wrong.)

• Blaziken: Appears to be giving Earthquake to Aggron (fine). Recommends something other than Body Slam. Already hits every Pokemon for normal effective damage between Fire, Electric, and Fighting except for Lati@s. Adds a nice paralyze chance, sure. Could probably do something better with that moveslot. Ideas:
      - Bulk Up / Swords Dance. Use it on a good type matchup. Punches a hole through everything after a couple uses. Main downside: Only affects Brick Break's offense. Costs a lot of BP for Swords Dance too (48), although no more than Body Slam.
      - Quick Attack. Might only need a little bit to finish off a foe. Assumes no healing items left, usually.
      - Double Team. Drops the enemy's accuracy to 75% with just one use. Falls all the way to 33% with six uses. Use it on a good matchup to handle the rest of the enemy team.

• Ludicolo: Loves Leech Seed. Makes more sense on a defensive moveset, though. Will probably lose more health by using Leech Seed than not, given a good matchup. Two options:

Offensive option: Swift Swim. Modest nature. Drop Leech Seed for Rain Dance. Requires only one turn of setup. Doubles your Speed on top of stronger Water moves.

Stall option: Rain Dish (but not important). Moves: Leech Seed, Giga Drain, Synthesis, Toxic. Whittles down opponents while healing back any damage taken. May not be your cup of tea, though.

• Aggron: Learns Double-Edge at level 63 OR in Sootopolis City. Comes in very late. Could use Return (max 102 power) until then.

Advises against Surf. Already put two Water types on the team. Accomplishes weak damage with its base 60 Special Attack too. Already gave Brick Break to Blaziken (fine). Costs a lot of BP for Thunder Wave and Seismic Toss for small gains. So, in that case...Mud-Slap? Iron Tail / Metal Claw?

Could also switch from Brave nature to Adamant with Surf gone. Stands fairly little chance of outspeeding anything, but better some chance than none.

• Flygon: Seems fine. Would personally go with a +Special Attack nature (given three Special moves) or even neutral. Uses all its stats.

• Milotic: Personally prefers Hypnosis over Dragonbreath. Simply switches Pokemon if Water and Ice fail. Views both as a pain as egg moves, though. Check your Hidden Power. Could go with Toxic too. Survives quite well between its stats and Recover.

Mentions Surf over Waterfall. Presumably chose Waterfall to cover HMs. A fair decision, if so.

• Gardevoir: Also fine.

Days
    • Seen Jun 17, 2023
    Thank you for all the information. I hadn't considered Egg moves. I made some changes to the team with your recommendations above:

Blaziken
    Ability: Blaze
    Hasty Nature
    - Bulk Up
    - Flamethrower
    - Quick Attack
    - Brick Break

Ludicolo
    Ability: Swift Swim
    Modest Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Rain Dance