• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emulators/Roms (n00b question)

wrathchild712

Defender of teh Metallz
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 16, 2007
    Hey everyone,

I'm sort of new to this whole thing. I'm working from a Mac and was thinking of downloading VisualBoyAdvance so I might be able to play some G/S...'cos I can't get a used copy that has a working battery. That said, I've lost TWO computers in the past to viruses and sh*t like that, and I'm not sure I want to lose a third. Is there anything in an emulator/ROMs that would really up my Mac? If there is, I'm thinking I'll pass on it. Any info'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

-wrathchild712

anyone? ...anyone at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    There is a Mac version of the VBA, don't think it has viruses. :surprised:

wrathchild712

Defender of teh Metallz
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 16, 2007
    And there's nothing in a ROM that could screw up my comp?

Sorry I just get über-freaked about this ever since my first two went down...:paranoid:

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    And there's nothing in a ROM that could screw up my comp?

Sorry I just get über-freaked about this ever since my first two went down...:paranoid:

Maybe a virus has attached itself to a rom, I know someone who's comp stuffed up because of roms.

wrathchild712

Defender of teh Metallz
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 16, 2007
    Maybe a virus has attached itself to a rom, I know someone who's comp stuffed up because of roms.

Oh no, nothing's happened YET. I haven't DONE anything yet...downloaded an emulator, roms, nothing. I'm just wondering all this before I do. Being prepared I guess..

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    wrathchild712, do not double post! If you have something to add to you post, use the Edit button, that is located in the bottom right of your post.

Also, do not swear or censor bypass. I suggest you to have a look at the rules!

Everything you download could have a Virus attached. However, if you download VBA from the official website, there is no hazard coming from it.

For the ROMs, most are clean, however there might still be a few suspicious sites where that isn't the case.
    If you want to be sure, just run a virus scan on the Emulator and ROM file.
    Besides, if it contains a virus, it will most likely be a Windows one.

kuribohgx

pokemon freak
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 17, 2007
    can anybody tell me a website where i can download a visual boy?

Corrosion

Support Pokemon Amber!
    Years
    Google is your friend. Just type it in and you're certain to get a result.
    As for Wrathchild, i helped a friend get it on his Mac, and it worked a dream.

Zurenriri

Has What Grass-Types Crave
    Years
    One time back when I was a newb at emulators, VBA crashed on me when playing Crash Bandicoot: N-Tranced, and I couldn't fix it, or delete the emulator, but eventually I got it off. Since then, no issues. If you do have issues with it, try the second best emulator, BoyCott Advance, but I'll warn you, the sound sucks, it's confusing, a lot of games won't run, and I don't think they have a Mac port...

EDIT: kuribohgx, go to Zophar.Net. It's out of date, but loaded with great emu needs for beginners. That's where I started out with BGB and a ROM of Mickey's Racing Adventure... lol.

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
    No, theres nothing in an emulator or rom that will mess up your computer if you know what you're doing. However, if the rom is infected wit ha virus, it could mess up your computer. I downloaded a whole bunch of n64 roms from this one site and all of them were infected with a virus. I suggest you get McAfee anti-virus and scan all the roms you download, I don't, but I'm not really worried.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2007
    If you're gonna get a VBA, might as well get VBA Link. That allows you to trade. YOu can even configure it so your appearances in the Union Room are simultaneous. Same time saving, same time confirming, exact same time trading (and same time walking) if your joypads in both instances are one and the same. Unlike VBA, VBAlink works even when not an active window.

Kenaka

BCHT Graphics Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2007
    The chances of you getting a virus from a GBA ROM are less than the chances of Microsoft and Apple mergeing. I don't think you need to worry about that. Since majority of computers use Windows, Mac OS X has been able to avoid most of the viruses out there. But, Macs are not completly invernuable, so just take precaution. If you feel you need a virus scanner, I suggest clamXav. It's a free, open source virus scanner for Mac OS X.

Back