• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Encounter Rates

Years
    Whilst we're on the Gen V topic on this forum, in Black and White, the encounter rates for running into Pokemon seem ridiculously high compared to the rest of the main entries in the series. What do you think about how easily you get pulled into a wild battle during these games? Does it annoy you?

Of course, we can just stock up on repels, but I like the odd Pokemon battle here and there to be immersed in the world, not just running around without ever encountering anything! It's almost unbearable though, especially the puddles around Iccirus City, and god forbid should you try to train on Audinos, as one step towards the rustling grass will set off a battle haha. Let me know your thoughts!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Oh, yeah, I definitely agree about the encounter rates being a lot higher in Gen V. I did find it annoying, so I used repels a lot, to be honest. Thank god B2/W2 had a continuous repel prompt so I can avoid Pokemon altogether. Although, phenomenons were actually pretty cool, so I'd try to actually engage w/those if I saw them in the overworld.

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
    Not sure if BW are the same but I know BW2 had TONS of fully evolved, usually unobtainable in the wild, pokemon, readily available. You could go out here and encounter wild KINGDRA AND DRAGONITE.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    In my current mode I try to capture every Pokémon possible in the game, so you'd think this wouldn't irritate me...it does. I preferred how it was in HgSs where if you ran / cycled you would encounter more but if you just wanted to slowly work your way about it was actually feasible. No joke in a cave just now I encountered a pokémon on 3 consecutive steps.

Years
    It's the gen they introduced the optimized Repel system. Of course they were gonna make players realize it one way or another.

Years
    • Seen today
    This is one of my biggest problems with the Pokemon games. (And JRPG's in general). In Gen 5 they took a bad encounter system and somehow made it worse.

I remember when I ran out of repels in ChargeStone cave, and every 2 steps I was running into a Pokemon. It almost made me quit.

And I don't even like using repels...but if you don't it turns a 10 minute section into an hour long section.

I mean, there's something seriously wrong with the random encounter system when I need to use repels just to reach that Audino in the rustling grass, 3 steps away. -_-

Back