• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Approved] Fakemon Design Contest

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

Fakemon Design Contest

Background image done by deviantart user lenaachan

In case you don't know, a Fakemon is, well, a Fake Pokémon that was made by fans instead of Game Freak. They can be both variations of already existing Pokémon (pre-evolutions, evolutions, mega evolutions, regional variants, etc.) or completely new monsters.

During the Get Together, we'll drop two prompts (one for each week), for you to design a brand new Fakémon!

Submission Rules

Each prompt might have different requirements, but generally speaking they'll require at least one image depicting your Fakemon.

It can be a sprite, it can be a drawing with pen and paper, it can be a digital drawing, a picture of a sculpture, whatever medium you want, as long as it's visual! You can even work in pairs, as long as both members are in the same team.

Our only requirements is that:

• All parts of the submission must be made by the submitter (or the other member, if submitting in pairs)
    • Your entry is PG (e.g.: no gore, nothing suggestive, the kind of stuff you could show to a random 10 year old).
    • Your entry must be made after the prompt was given.

Breaking Rules 1 and 2 might also break the PokeCommunity rules and as such, might lead to disciplinary action.

After making sure your submission fits all the criteria, send it via forum PM to me (Shooting Star) and the co-host Cubeth

The rewards

For each prompt, the Top 3 will receive the following amount of points:

1st Place - 100 points
    2nd Place - 50 points
    3rd Place - 25 points
    Participation - 5 points

Also, the Top 3 will gain free Smeargles VPPs! If you make Top 3 twice in the competition, they become shiny.

The deadlines

The prompts are given on Monday of each week and participants have until Friday 23:59 UTC (or alternatively 19:59 EST) to send them in, the results should be given before the following Monday.

How is the scoring done?

The basic rubric is:

• 40% of points for how well you match the prompt
    • 30% for visual design
    • 30% for textual design

We won't be judging on artistic ability per se, we'll be mostly looking for design elements and how the complement the Pokémon.

By textual design we mean things like how does the name, typing, species, PokeDex entries, etc. flesh out the Pokémon?

The prompts

None have been released so far ~

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Gonna do more formatting later, but the basic structure should be something like this.

Current ideas for prompts that me and Cube have been discussing on Discord:
    > "Unusual Evolution" -> "Design a (pre)evolution of an already existing Pokémon with a new evolution method"
    > "Time Warp" -> "Design a Fakemon that is a pre-historic or futuristic version an existing Pokémon"
    > "Trick or Treat" -> "Design a Ghost, Dark, Psychic or Fairy Fakemon"

Also, we should probably figure out a rubric.

Years
  • This looks great, but it definitely does need a rubric. I'm not sure you really need to include rule #2 since it should be a given but I'm not about to tell you to remove it either.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Ok, I'll work on it with Cube.

Also, I talked with the other VPP stats and we can give VPPs to Top 3.
    Right now the plans are Smeargles to everyone and if they make Top 3 again in the second prompt, they become shiny.

Years
  • Generally the event looks great, just a few things I wanted to mention:

- Regarding the art side of things, how much of a factor is this going to play in the judging? I ask because a lot of members may not be confident enough in producing art of their design and could perhaps be dissuaded from entering as a result (especially with the sort of talent we have in and around the forums)
    - In light of this, I know you say each entry is to be yours and yours only, but would you accept say joint submissions from people in the team? So let's say I had a great idea for a Fakemon but have literally no ability to present this visually, would you be happy for me to pick say GP as someone to make the design and we therefore both submit that entry as a duo?

When I ran an event similar to this elsewhere, it was done as a collaborative effort between the two teams mostly because of the above - it meant people could chip in where they felt they could without having to worry about another part where they feel they would do poorly in.

That said, I love the event and I am happy with all those prompts you have, they provide a good scope and focus on the themes around the GT!

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    So we more or less came up with the following general rubric:

40% for prompt stuff
    - This is more or less self explanatory but the concept goes that it's not just a binary.

30% for art / visual design
    - It's impossible to completely divorce technical ability from judging but our main focus should be the design aspects.
    Stuff that's more like "Does it look like it could be a (retail) Pokemon?" and "Does it have an interesting composition?" then "How is the shading done?" or "Is the lineart crisp?"

30% for dex / lore / textual design
    - Same thing with the dex entry. Does it fit with the visual design, does it give us some insight into the Pokemon, etc.

We're also not opposed to letting people do it in pairs.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I think I'm mostly done with the OP edits and the CSS work. Unless there's any more notes, I think this is as good as done.

Years
  • I think you should make a point of converting the percentages to hard numbers or at least make it clearer what the percentage is out of. I assume the answer is either 10 or 100. Marking this as done regardless.

Back