• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 4] First full playthrough of Pokemon Platinum (& Gen 4)

Days
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    Episode 0:
    I have been a stellar Pokemon fan for quite a while now.
    I got into Pokemon by anime, found out about Pokemon Games, and started playing Pokemon Sapphire on a GBA Emulator on my smartphone. I loved every bit of it. (It also gave me my favorite pokemon Blaziken, and now Metagross)

I proceeded to play Fire Red, Emerald and some GBA Rom hacks. I have played Alpha Sapphire and X and Ultra Moon too. But somehow, I have never been able to finish a Gen 4 playthrough.
    So, this will be my journey to, hopefully, my first full Gen 4 playthrough.

A little bit about my playstyle.

I do care a lot about nature and ability of a pokemon, but I don't go as to properly EV train my team, too much grind.
    I prefer dual type pokemons, so I can have maximum STAB coverage in my team as possible, for such reason, Pokemon like Luxray and Machamp does not interest me as much as Roserade or Bronzong. I also don't like to repeat a type in my team, so teambuilding is gonna be a pain. But I look forward to have a good team and try having fun with them.

For the starter choice, It is difficult. I would naturally prefer Infernape because I love the Blaziken, but I have a wish to use Lucario for this playthrough. For the same reason, Empoleon also seems a difficult choice. It leaves Torterra as the choice, but it would be hard to leave Garchomp of the team.

Also, I know how hard Cynthia fight can be, even when I never experienced it. So I will be planning my team along the lines. I do not plan this to be nuzlocke, but I will try not to overlevel my team to win the battles and try to beat my opponents by strategy.

Also, I will try to write my journal in the form of a story, a novel if you like, from main character's POV, in third person. So this is gonna be a real challange writing wise too.

Well, Goodluck to me.

Years
    • Online now
    Looking at your post, I'd recommend Pokemon Platinum. It gives you a bigger variety of Pokemon compared to Diamond or Pearl.

Days
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    Chapter 01: Can we call that a humble beginning?

So, the world of Pokémon is crazy one. That's what my mom would have me believed. People catch and train Pokémon for their livelihood. Pokémon is their everything. In the world of Pokémon, people come second to Pokémon, even you family.

But you got to cut her some slack. Ever since dad left for travelling foreign regions, she never looked at Pokémon the same. Becoming Pokémon trainer is part of growing up. Learning to use and control these awesome creatures, making friends with them, fighting with them, is the way of life. And it is an amazing way of life.

Oh! I started a monologue, didn't I? Let me go back to basics.

Hi, my name is Sam Jackson. A sixteen-year boy from Twinleaf Town. With aspiration to become best Pokémon trainer in whole world. Problem? Well, my mother doesn't want me to go out on adventure. But enough of this family drama. Why not just tell the whole story, alright? Let's start then.

I was watching the TV as a normal teenager would do, in my room. It was an interview with professor Rowan. He was middle aged man with crazy mustache. They will often interview Professor Rowan, because he was very smart. Of course, he was smart. He studied Pokémon and its evolution process since he was of my age. No wonder people called him 'Pokémon Professor'. Interview finished with Professor Rowan saying, "Pokémon are by our side, always. I hope you will understand the meaning of those words."

I hope mom understands the meaning of those words. Then she might let me go on an adventure of my own.

Just as I switched off the TV, Berry barged in. "Hey Sam, did you just see the TV?"

"Sure did." Berry was neighbor's kid. He was same age as me, but very Hyperactive.

"Pokémon Professor must have lots and lots of Pokémon." He continued without taking a breath. "If we ask him, I bet he'd give us some Pokémon."

Before I can reply, Berry sprinted across the room to my new PC. "Oh, hey! Is this a new PC?"

It was a new PC. My mother bought me so I will stay inside the house more often. She was like that, my mom. Every parent wanted their kid out of the house, mine wanted me inside. God forbid, what if I take after my father and run away to have an adventure? But I wanted to have an adventure. Getting your first Pokémon from 'The Pokémon Professor' would be a good case for it.

Berry still continued, "We are going to see Professor and get some Pokémon. I will be waiting outside. Ok Sam? If you are late, I am fining you 10 million!" and he was gone. Better to follow him than paying 10 million, right? So, I followed him downstairs.

Mom was sitting on the couch, knitting. She looked up and said, "Sam, Berry already left. I don't know what it was about but he sure was in a hurry." She didn't suspect the plan. That was pretty much normal Berry behavior. I moved quickly to go out. Just as I was about to reach door, "Oh, yes Sam! Don't go into tall grass. Wild Pokémon might attack you." There it was. Mom's voice of concern. What she meant is, don't go into tall grass, you might meet a wild Pokémon and become friends. Then you will want to leave for adventure and I won't like it. Little did she knew; I was planning same thing.

I didn't have trust in Berry's plan. Why would Professor Rowan give us Pokémon. But we sure can make some wild Pokémon our friend if we wander about Route 201, between Sandgem and Twinleaf Town. I loved how flock of Starly looked. It would be lovely to have one of them as friend. My own Pokémon, caught by me. I carried some berries with me for that same reason.

I left the house, with my backpack on my shoulders and Shoes on my feet. I was ready to start my adventure. I reached for Berry's door. "THUD!!"

It was Berry. This boy was so preoccupied with the idea of getting first Pokémon, he didn't see me sitting in my butt, in front of his door. "Hey, I am going to see Professor, you should come too."

"You just said that, you know." I stood up, dusting my trouser of any dirt it may have. "Like five minutes ago."

"Oh jeez, forget something." He hadn't listened to a single word I said. He ran back in to the house. I followed.

Berry's mother was cleaning dishes in the kitchen. "Good morning" I said.

"Morning dear." She replied, still cleaning. "Are you looking for Berry? He was gone for a second, then he came running right back in. He can't sit still, that boy. He is up in his room."

I thanked her and moved to Berry's room. Berry was in the middle of packing his bag. "I'd better take my Journal too. Oh, hey, Sam" He noticed me. "I will be waiting on the road! It's a 10 million fine if you're late!" He ran off.

"Wow," I muttered. "That kid cannot be still." I bid his mother good bye and left the house. He would be by Route 201 now. So, I walked quickly.

Twinleaf Town is a little town. Half a dozen houses, a general store, and a sunny beach. People often came to Twinleaf for a relaxing vacation. Often visitors were trainers coming up the Route 220, surfing. But it has no Pokémon Center or Mart, so they often moved on towards Sandgem Town for free accommodation and shopping. But people on vacation often got room at Mallery's motel.

I reached Route 201, and found Berry waiting for me. He still didn't stand still. He was walking in circle, with hand in his front pocket. "Hiya" I said.

"Too slow," He replied. "All right! Let's get moving to Professor's lab."

"Hold it!" a stranger roared we were to enter the tall grass. "You two doesn't seem to have any Pokémon between you?" It was Professor Rowan himself. "Then what is the meaning of going into the tall grass?"

So 'The Pokémon Professor' has same thought as my mom. Before I could say anything, Berry's squirrel brain was on the move, "Hey! You are Pokémon Professor."

"Yes, People call me that."

"We were coming to see you."

"And why would you want to see me?"

"We wanted to get a Pokémon from you."

"Then why would you act like a Ten-year old kid?"

"We are not ten-year-old." I chimed in.

Berry told him about his plan. Professor was deep in thought for a while. I guess wondering what to do with us. He replied, "A pair of reckless kids who foolishly try to enter tall grass without Pokémon of their own. It worries me what people like that would do with Pokémon." He would have continued, but a girl's voice cut him off.

"Professor, you left you briefcase at the lake." Newcomer was a girl, about my own age. She wore a pink dress and a red scarf. Her eyes were blue, so was the highlight in her hair. "Oh, is something wrong here?" She said as she looked at the situation.

"What I was about to do was to entrust this two with their own Pokémon."

I wondered who that surprised most. Me, Berry or the Girl. "What?" I asked.

"We exist side by side at Pokémon. There comes a time when people should meet Pokémon." Said Professor.

"Wow." That is all Berry could muster.

"Go on. There are two Pokémon in this briefcase. Go on and choose one for yourself."

Berry offered me first choice. I guess the choice would be too much processing for his squirrel brain. The girl opened the briefcase and brought out two Pokémons from their ball. One was the fire monkey, Chimchar. Other one was grass turtle, Turtwig.

The choice was hard. But I chose the Turtwig. That left Berry with Chimchar. Professor Rowan asked us to meet him at his lab in Sandgem Town, and left with the girl. Berry moved to explore Route 201. But I decided it was best to go back and talk to my mom.

The talk was hard. I can see mom was angry at me, but she didn't say anything. After I was done explaining everything, she smiled a little. "So, you got a Pokémon from Professor Rowan himself then." She didn't have anger in her voice. If she was angry, she did not show me that. "Well, you should at least go to his lab and see what he wants to tell you."

"I will. I am sorry mom."

"It is alright. You are your father's son, no doubt. Don't forget to thank him, okay?"

"I won't." She wasn't angry with me. "I will go tomorrow. Good night."

"Good night"

That day, I went to bad with most confused mind I ever had. Professor Rowan had given me, a complete stranger, a Pokémon to take care of. That was a big responsibility. I met Turtwig that day. But most of all surprises, my notion of what my mom thought was wrong.

Well, I slept thinking what Professor Rowan wanted from me. How will my mom react to me going on an adventure? What surprises lies ahead? What wonderful adventures.

PS: I know I said I will write in Third Person POV, but my Turtwig is of Sassy nature, and it would be better to write those conversations and reactions in First Person POV.
    Also, I apologies for the word count. They are almost 1600. But I guess it is as bridged as I can get.

Coming Next: Chapter 2: Is this like a Date?

Back