• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Galarian Weezing and the Value of Neutralising Gas

Years
  • When Galarian Weezing was revealed, there was a lot of hype around its Ability. The question is, how big of an impact does Neutralising Gas have on the viability of Galarian Weezing?

Sirfetch’d

I certainly think it's going to be really good in doubles, mainly VGC, but probably underwhelming otherwise. It would much rather have an immunity with Levitate in a metagame where ground type move coverage is prevalent.

Years
  • I certainly think it's going to be really good in doubles, mainly VGC, but probably underwhelming otherwise. It would much rather have an immunity with Levitate in a metagame where ground type move coverage is prevalent.

What makes you think it will be good in doubles with Neutralising Gas? I can't see any available partners who will really benefit from it. It could be decent with Levitate though. Which seems to be the running theme with Galarian Weezing - Neutralising Gas is a cool ability but it's wasted on Weezing which needs Levitate desperately.

Years
    • Seen today
    What makes you think it will be good in doubles with Neutralising Gas? I can't see any available partners who will really benefit from it. It could be decent with Levitate though. Which seems to be the running theme with Galarian Weezing - Neutralising Gas is a cool ability but it's wasted on Weezing which needs Levitate desperately.

It's better compared to Singles because you can neutralize two of your opponent's Abilities (though you do neutralize your own teammate's), as opposed to just making the opponent as useless are you are in Singles. I don't play Doubles, but Surge Abilities, Weather Abilities, Unburden, Intimidate, and other Abilities that give immunity (Storm Drain, Lightningrod) are some Abilities that I think would be useful to stop, as they affect the entire field. Maybe there are entire combos that you can stop. The caveat here is that they immediately activate once Neutralizing Gas is gone.

You also don't have to pair it with a partner with a detrimental Ability for it to be useful. I think it could be good with partners like Gengar or Keldeo, which don't make much use of their Abilities anyway. Taking away the opponent's Scrappy or Water Absorb could be very useful with those types of partners. Yeah actually I think it's cool if those immunity-giving Abilities are taken away because suddenly there aren't any Pokémon that are immune to Grass, Fire, or Water. Of course, I don't know VGC and maybe the meta wouldn't allow Galarian Weezing to be strong. But to outright dismiss Neutralizing Gas because there are seemingly no good combos is wrong.

Even in Singles there are times when Neutralizing Gas will be used - and it might be more than you think. I don't know what tier Galarian Weezing is going to be in, but I'd imagine there are cases where taking less damage because the opponent doesn't have Strong Jaw anymore is more useful than a Ground immunity. You can have teammates to cover for the Ground weakness, but you can't really "disable" Strong Jaw with other Pokémon (though maybe this is a bad example because Psychic Fangs exists and you'd probably lose to Strong Jaw anyway).

Maybe there are cases where you Toxic a Magic Guard user and then send in your Weezing Later on to remove their Ability so they take massive amounts of Poison damage in one turn. In this sense I think that there are niche uses for Galarian Weezing in Singles as well. It's hard for me too, since it's hard to get out of the mindset that Weezing has Levitate, since it has always had Levitate. I don't think Neutralizing Gas is that bad and I think it will get some use - and so Weezing in general becomes better because it can have two game-changing Abilities. This uncertainty will no doubt make it so that the opponent has a harder time making decisions.

Years
  • It's better compared to Singles because you can neutralize two of your opponent's Abilities (though you do neutralize your own teammate's), as opposed to just making the opponent as useless are you are in Singles. I don't play Doubles, but Surge Abilities, Weather Abilities, Unburden, Intimidate, and other Abilities that give immunity (Storm Drain, Lightningrod) are some Abilities that I think would be useful to stop, as they affect the entire field. Maybe there are entire combos that you can stop. The caveat here is that they immediately activate once Neutralizing Gas is gone.

You also don't have to pair it with a partner with a detrimental Ability for it to be useful. I think it could be good with partners like Gengar or Keldeo, which don't make much use of their Abilities anyway. Taking away the opponent's Scrappy or Water Absorb could be very useful with those types of partners. Yeah actually I think it's cool if those immunity-giving Abilities are taken away because suddenly there aren't any Pokémon that are immune to Grass, Fire, or Water. Of course, I don't know VGC and maybe the meta wouldn't allow Galarian Weezing to be strong. But to outright dismiss Neutralizing Gas because there are seemingly no good combos is wrong.

Even in Singles there are times when Neutralizing Gas will be used - and it might be more than you think. I don't know what tier Galarian Weezing is going to be in, but I'd imagine there are cases where taking less damage because the opponent doesn't have Strong Jaw anymore is more useful than a Ground immunity. You can have teammates to cover for the Ground weakness, but you can't really "disable" Strong Jaw with other Pokémon (though maybe this is a bad example because Psychic Fangs exists and you'd probably lose to Strong Jaw anyway).

Maybe there are cases where you Toxic a Magic Guard user and then send in your Weezing Later on to remove their Ability so they take massive amounts of Poison damage in one turn. In this sense I think that there are niche uses for Galarian Weezing in Singles as well. It's hard for me too, since it's hard to get out of the mindset that Weezing has Levitate, since it has always had Levitate. I don't think Neutralizing Gas is that bad and I think it will get some use - and so Weezing in general becomes better because it can have two game-changing Abilities. This uncertainty will no doubt make it so that the opponent has a harder time making decisions.

This is fair, and mostly covered in the article. I still think it's not the best ability for Weezing though. Cause you know, EQ.

Back