• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Games you wish you could re-experience for the first time

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I'm sure we've had this question before but I think it's been a while.

Are there any games that you'd love to play with fresh eyes again? Something you'd love to have a chance to play blind again, to experience all the twists and turns in the story without knowing what comes next.

What games are like this for you?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Hm. Initially thought of games like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger. May not be so forgiving with how game design has gone forward. Grew older as well. Likely views some stories as stale or simple. Might strike games like Tales of Symphonia and Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance too.

Appreciates some games because of that knowledge, such as Terraria, Pokemon, and Rune Factory 4. Builds on that framework even now to plan and do more with less. Why do the legwork again?

With that in mind:
    • Pokemon Sun/Moon: Mentioned it above, yeah. Imagines it like Generation 10. Presumably retains overall Pokemon knowledge, just not of the Alolan Pokemon or what is ahead. Reverted the Experience Share. Does not involve HMs. Mixes up the gameplay with totems that can be tough. Wants to get surprised by Alomomola Heal Pulsing Totem Wishiwashi again. Theoretically uses buffs/debuffs more. (Learned to do that in this generation...finally.) Gets decent clothing back. Only loses the good move relearner.
    • Undertale: A nice, quick game. Good music. Would love to re-experience the "nice" side of things, if you understand the drift.
    • Maybe one of the Monkey Islands? Has never seen anything like insult swordfighting. May be receptive to the puzzles still? Benefits more from a series mind wipe here.
    • Animal Crossing: New Leaf: On the condition of a series mind wipe, the same for a sibling, and a working online feature. Offers more than the original game did, minus the NES games.
      Remembers being excited about the different effects of feng shui and villagers sending you mail based on what you said. (...May be a little disappointed on the latter.)

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
    Stella Glow
    Radiant Historia
    Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
    TLoZ Ocarina of Time
    TLoZ Majora's Mask
    A very good VN who's name I've forgotten
    Metroid Prime 1
    Metroid Prime 3
    Outer Wilds
    TLoZ The Wind Waker
    TLoZ Twilight Princess
    Super Mario 64

Setsuna

♡ I hope the world~
    Years
    I think PMD Explorers of Sky is the first time I've ever felt that way about a game. I remember replaying it and wishing it hit as hard as it did the first time. Doesn't make it any less awesome though.
    Fallout 4 is another one, it's a series I could never really get into until I enjoyed playing 4 and I'd love to re-experience discovering things about it I enjoyed or finally getting to get into that thing I couldn't really enjoy for a while.
    FFXIV, specifically Shadowbringers and Endwalker, they were both great expansions and I felt super invested playing them.
    Metroid Fusion is a game I wish I respected more the first time I played it, because only after looking back on it I realized how great of a game it actually was.
    And... I know this is a weird pick but... BanG Dream Girls Band Party? It got me into a lot of the things I enjoy now and helped me meet a lot of the people I'm friends with now, and try as I might I just can't really get back into it and love it the same way I did back then. I get really nostalgic for that point in my life in particular and I'd like to at least relive those feelings for a little bit.

Years
    Mega Man Legends 1 and 2
    Final Fantasy 7 OG/classic
    Ocarina of Time on N64
    Harvest Moon 64 and Back to Nature
    Umineko and Higurashi

Reason: because of how addicted and in love I was with them as a kid/teenager for most of these. I was grown when I got into Umineko and Higurashi properly. I'd love to wipe my memory and experience these games all over again. Graphics and whatever be damned, I still feel I'd fall in love with them as I did.

Rune Factory 4. It impacted me tremendously at the beginning and I've never been able to recreate that same feeling with any other game.
    I could not get into 4 as much as I'd liked to. 5 very much the same way too, honestly. I like Rune Factory as a series but 4 and 5 I just could not get into.

Years
    I don't really replay most games all that much. The Legend of Zelda games are games I usually like a lot, but don't really replay, barring one exception when I was younger.
    Pretty much any game that's good, but doesn't really have a lot of replay value to me, I guess?

Legend of Zelda:
    -Ocarina of Time
    -The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    -Spirit Tracks
    -Skyward Sword HD
    -A Link Between Worlds

Darksiders comes to mind as well. 1 & 2 that is.
    Never actually played the 3rd one, but the first one was great and the second one was good too.

There's probably more, but this is what came to mind atm.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Belatedly rolling into my own thread to say the only game that fits the bill for this now is Outer Wilds for me. I would have mentioned some JRPGs with touching stories that I'd love to experience over again or the first games I picked up on new console iterations because they always looked so impressive but... for me, Outer Wilds made that all look so quaint. Replaying all those is basically the same experience now as it was, I just know the twists. But the way Outer Wilds works, with discovery so blindly tied to gameplay tied to story, I can never get that first playthrough back. I know too many of the connections, I know how to get everywhere and when to do things... the game is so perfectly constructed to facilitate its core exploration mechanic that I can't imagine any other game doing what it does and that's a feeling I'll never get back. I'm saving the DLC even for one day when I really can't stand that my first playthrough was the only time I'll ever have that feeling, because I think at least I can probably get it there too. u_u

Years
    The Stanley Parable comes on mind. I would love to explore this unexpected and original narrative and uncover every little secret again.

Back