• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever played a video game in an arcade? Are arcades popular in your area?

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen today
    Yes, I have I go to Dave & Buster's here and there with my family its great. Went for November on my Birthday and had a blast so yeah I feel that yes arcades are popular in my area.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Yes, but not in the last decade. Mainly remembers fighting games (like Virtua Fighter 2 or 3) or a beat 'em up like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Played relatively few games from those genres outside of arcades. Recalls Crazy Taxi and a dinosaur game (Jurassic Park?) with a rumble seat too.

As far as popularity now: Not really. Shut down...at least two? Spans a pretty long time period, though. Could have sprung up somewhere else nearby.

Depends how loosely you define "arcade" too. Recalls a little arcade (~10 machines maximum) next to the concession stand of a movie theatre. Could not tell you if that exists anymore. Also installed an arcade machine at Burger King for a time.

Last edited:

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • Yes, I have I go to Dave & Buster's here and there with my family its great. Went for November on my Birthday and had a blast so yeah I feel that yes arcades are popular in my area.
    Happy Birthday!

We had a few arcades back home but I was never the type to go out to them unless I was with friends who wanted to go. I'd play a few of the machines that interested me but the loud or crowded environments aren't for me.
    I'd probably be the most interested in something like DDR but the fact I've never played it on an actual machine before makes me worried I'd be an embarrassment. ;;
    I'm sure I'll take some time to go to one again sometime in the future.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • There aren't too many arcades around here anymore. There's a Dave and Busters kind of close to me but I suspect soon enough they'll sell the land to condo developers. I remember sometimes there used to be arcades in malls but that just doesn't really seem to be the case anymore. Crane games have gotten a bit popular lately and we've seen a surge in my area of standalone cutesy crane game places popping up. They kinda seem like they're half to win cheap (probably bootleg) stuffed toys and half with aesthetic instagram walls.

I've only gone to Japan twice but I spent a not insignificant amount of time in arcades each time I was there, fighting through the awful cigarette smoke, so I could play arcade games. Theatrhythm arcade version my beloved..... ♥

BWZ

Days
    • Seen today
    Last time was when I visited the US and went to ... (surprise surprise) Dave and Busters ^^ . I was impressed by the size of that place and how popular it was. It's not really a traditional arcade per se but I think it's a good idea to mix food & drinks and gaming in the same place.

When I studied in France, I went to the arcades almost once a week for a good training session with my friends, and there was a tournament every 2 or 3 months. It was great !

I've only gone to Japan twice but I spent a not insignificant amount of time in arcades each time I was there, fighting through the awful cigarette smoke, so I could play arcade games.

I've heard that they recently banned smoking in japanese Arcades, players must smoke outside now. Not sure if it's all of them though.

Back