• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hidden Abilities

Years
    Gen V introduced new mechanic called Hidden Abilities. Now, some Pokémon might have a special ability they normally can't have. Such Pokémon were limited to Dream World and Hidden Grottos, making them somewhat rare.

What do you think about hidden abilities? Have you hunted a specific Pokémon with hidden ability?

As someone without DS, I never really got a hold of Pokémon with hidden ability in Gen V. But I got several of them in 3DS era, including some event exclusives like Johto starters or Regi trio with their hidden abilities. I still have these Pokémon in Bank/HOME.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Definitely was a nice thing to have introduced, though it was a mixed bag on which Pokemon benefitted and which didn't. Some got an ability that was good when what they had prior wasn't, others already had good options but gain another one, for variety. But then there's like....Swampert getting Damp as its HA lol.

Never made much use of HAs in Gen 5 myself though, since the main way to get HA Pokemon was via the Dream World, which either I couldn't access or couldn't be bothered to make use of, I don't remember which (and I didn't bother with Hidden Grottos as well). There was always trading for 'mons with HAs, but that wasn't something that ended happening for me at the time either.

Years
    I started collecting them in SwSh.
    Got every breedable mon with HA, egg moves and some type of special ball in these games =3
    Prior to that I never really bothered with them.

I generally like having an extra ability to choose from, but some of them are just pointless or even hindersome. For example, why get or hunt for a Durant with it's HA (Truant), when it can have Swarm or Hustle? Varoom gets Slow Start as it's HA, but at least it loses that when it evolves into Revavroom. An HA Durant is stuck with Truant. I only got it to complete my HA aprimon collection, pretty much.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm fine with the addition of HAs mainly for three reasons:

-Gives starters an alternative to their generic "Boosts Grass/Fire/Water moves in a pinch".

-Opens up new possibilities and strategies for Pokémon wich already had two abilities. Say you want to use a Dugtrio for an in-game playthrough, but Arena Trap is garbage since the AI almost never switches anyway, and so is Sand Veil on what's one of the most fragile fully evolved Pokémon ever, well, you can go with Sand Force and make it a great Sandstorm sweeper instead.

-Prevents some Abilities that may be too broken, especially for the early game (e.g. Magic Bounce) to be available too easily. So while possible to obtain, you'll have to work a bit harder or wait to a certain point in the game to get them.

That said, however, I'm completely against HAs being locked behind methods that require things from outside the game, or that require buying an Ability patch that you can only get after you've finished the game. If HAs are obtainable through actual mechanics present in the game, such as Hidden Grottos, SOS chains, Dex Nav, Raids, etc. that's great because I see it as a way to rewards players for interacting and experiencing those new mechanics.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I like the introduction of hidden abilities because it gave life to some Pokemon in the competitive battling scene. I remember hunting for quite a few hidden ability Pokemon during generation 5, albeit most were locked behind Dream World in Black/White and Hidden Grottoes in Black 2/White 2.

Some of my favorites included:
    - Sheer Force Nidoking
    - Drought Ninetales
    - Rock Head Aerodactlyl with Double Edge (no recoil)
    - Imposter Ditto
    - Multiscale Dragonite
    - Speed Boost Blaziken
    - Poison Heal Breloom / Gliscor
    - Regenerator Amoongus
    - Regenerator Ho-oh via Dream Radar

That reminds me, I still have the event Arceus in my Entralink (Dream World) that I never caught. :O

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    For example, why get or hunt for a Durant with it's HA (Truant), when it can have Swarm or Hustle?
    There is a niche use for that in that you can use Entrainment to have Durant give Truant to an opposing Pokemon. Outside of that though, not sure why it got the ability in the first place. I kind of doubt that they gave it Truant specifically and solely because of Entrainment, and the only other Pokemon that get it are Slakoth and Slaking for obvious reasons, but ones that don't apply to Durant.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I guess Truant makes sense as an Ability you can't obtain on a regular Durant because it can be actually insanely good for a regular playthrough.

I mean, you could Entrainment Truant, immediatly switch into a Pokémon that knows an Attack/Sp. Attack boosting move (plus Speed if it's not already fast) and Protect. That Pokémon can safely max its stats by alternating Protect (for when the Truanted opponent can attack) with stat boosting for when the opponent can't move, then proceed to sweep the entire opposing team. Won't work against human players though, unless you switch into something with Shadow Tag/Arena Trap before the opponent figures your plan.

Lopunny can also make good use of an useless Ability, by giving Klutz to an opponent to disable its Ability and its held item simultaneously (kind of like mixing Gastro Acid and Embargo in one move 🙂)

Last edited:
    Years
    For example, why get or hunt for a Durant with it's HA (Truant), when it can have Swarm or Hustle?
    I actually used Truat Durant in Gen VI Battle Maison. It was Choice Scarfed and had Entertainment to pass Truant on my opponent. Then, I switched out to other Pokémon to set them up, while also using Protect to completely stop my opponent from attacking.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Likes hidden abilities in general. Benefitted from two generations of seeing how abilities played out. Parceled out some really helpful ones to Pokemon like Ninetales. Gave starters other options than the standard.

Brings up two main complaints with them:
    1. Made them too difficult to get. Varied heavily by game. Probably never got any in Black/White. Locked away most X/Y ones in the Friend Safari.
    2. Balanced a few Pokemon around their hidden ability. Obliterated Serperior's movepool because of Contrary. Left Diggersby with a sad base 56 Attack stat. Designed Cinccino around Skill Link. Results in a far worse performance for the majority of playthroughs.

Hunted down tons of hidden abilities. Probably grabbed the hidden abilities for at least 50% of Pokemon available in Ultra Sun/Moon. Also tracked down hidden abilities for some Scarlet/Violet Pokemon. Spent quite a while looking for Froslass/Glalie, Scovillian, and Cacturne. (Wants one of their stupid builds to beat a 7-star raid solo somehow.)

Days
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    Do you need a moody glalie/froslass scovillian and water absorb cacturne or do you already have what you're describing.

Days
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    Oh is that so. I was reading about your plans on using them in a tera raid I suppose?

Back