• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How different would your life be without Pokémon?

Years
  • I was just thinking about this (again) recently. Pokémon has seriously changed my life for the better - I was able to improve my English as a young immigrant thanks to watching the anime + playing the games, met my now-husband thanks to this series, and have made really important friendships along the way.

Has the series strongly impacted any of you guys in any way?

Days
  • I was just thinking about this (again) recently. Pokémon has seriously changed my life for the better - I was able to improve my English as a young immigrant thanks to watching the anime + playing the games, met my now-husband thanks to this series, and have made really important friendships along the way.

Has the series strongly impacted any of you guys in any way?
    Wow, i'm happy for you that the series helped you plant your feet!
    i forget how old Pokèmon is sometimes so many people grew up with it from multiple generations that others prolly have similar impacts too :love:

And for me the stories from MD inspired me to read and write my own stories again. i could prolly write fanfictions for every dungeon i visited

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
    Years
  • Man, I don't know what I'd be like if I never liked pokemon, pokemon inspired me to get good at illustrating, and it has kept me intertained for the past 10 years, lol. Plus joining this community would've never happened, which means I'd have no friends.
    So I'm really glad I got into it, because I don't know where I'd be without it.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Not strongly. Would have (re)played some other game. Owes no strong connections to it. Winds up on some other game forum, most likely. Cannot guess what, though.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm not sure. Not so much for the games and such themselves, but rather how it eventually led me to PC. It hasn't done something overt like teach me another language or cause some major offline change in my life (afaik), but....

I've been actively here on PC for a (relatively) long time, and perhaps it has had some effect on me. Would I be a similar sort of person as I am now if I hadn't? What would have I been doing in the time I've spent on PC if I hadn't joined it, or even didn't really get into Pokemon past a certain point?

It's difficult to tell what the present would be like if the past that you cannot return to was different

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Hard to say. But I'm fairly certain I would have found some other game series to pick up instead. Maybe I get involved with Fire Emblem, or the Tales franchise, or Atelier, or any number of other JRPG series/franchises earlier than I evetiually did? And of course, then I'd probably join a forum similar to PC except devoted to those franchises instead and met a different set of online members. I'd probably become a fan of characters from one of those franchises in the place of Leaf and Serena.

On the other hand, I think the quality of games I'd have bought would have been higher since most other franchise don't have the wildly varying quality that Pokemon does. I wouldn't have had the pleasure of playing Leaf Green, Platinum, or the Gamecube games, but on the other hand I'd have be spared the disappointment of lackluster entries lilke R/S/E, HG/SS or Sw/Sh. And I wouldn't be lamenting the current state of the franchise.

In short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that some other JRPG franchise probably would have taken the place of Pokemon's place in my life, for better or for worse.

Honestly, a more interesting question for me would be, "how would the past have to have unfolded differently for me not to get involved with Pokemon in the first place?" But most likely, if I had stumbled upon the Pokemon anime before the games, I would have been so disgusted by the former that I would have never picked up the latter. And maybe if my family had been a Sega family instead of a Nintendo one, I wouldn't have picked it up either.

Years
    • Seen today
    Honestly, I would have probably ventured into more games earlier. There was a very long time when I mostly just replayed Pokemon, Mario, or Dragon Quest.

Then I played Fallout 3 and Bioshock Infinite. Was my gateway into other games.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • I don't really see a scenario where I wouldn't like Pokemon that doesn't also change pretty much every other aspect of my life. Not because of the games themselves, but rather the fact that I became interested in Pokemon because of the kinds of games that they were. I love team building RPG games, especially ones that let me have some level of getting to make my own over having a set party, so Pokemon was perfect to fit that specific genre of my tastes in games. So without that, I can't even begin to consider what, well, anything about life like that as it would be completely different. But I can say that I had lost interest in the series after Sw/Sh came out for... Quite a lot of reasons that I've mentioned around the forum before. And the only reason I even got Violet was because someone I know wanted to play it in multiplayer. Now if it wasn't for how much of a total pushover the fact that I wanted to be nice, I'd have never found the PC, and by extension, probably never met other people that actually bring me joy to talk to. People I actually consider friends. Not something I've had very much luck with in my life as of before I joined. I'd still feel pretty much completely alone. So yeah, pretty happy that I gave the series one more chance lol. :p

Years
  • Well I wouldn't be on this forum which drains a lot of my free time... =P

I'd most likely be playing some other game series and possibly hanging out on a forum for that. I say possibly, because I'll check out a forum first before signing up and if I'm not at least neutral on what I see I wouldn't sign up. Let's just say Ive been on some forums with rather unpleasant people in the past before this one. Not all of them were bad though, there's still 1 forum I occasionally visit, but it's kinda mostly dead =\

I'd also not be hogging so much eeveelution merch lmao

Years
  • Pretty much play another series of games. I was introduced to Pokemon to my cousin and i immediately got into it and that allowed me to have several friendships in my childhood. Growing up, i stopped playing and had no friend irl interested in Pokémon. It's just my favorite series, so it's a big part of my life and one of the things i have much knowledge about lol.

So, idk honestly. Maybe i wouldn't have been so much into video games, because i have mostly been hooked on Pokémon games in my Life and not other ones. I kind of developed that around 14/15, but without Pokemon, i'm not sure it could have happened.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • How different would your life be without Pokémon?

There was a time in my life where I would've said everything I had in my life was thanks to Pokemon. The friends I made both at school and online, my interest in video games, playing the card game as a hobby, the emotional support it gave me growing up, all that. And those things allowed me to branch out and eventually become the person I am. It's tough because I'm not friends with any of those people anymore, but they either introduced me to new people who I am still friends with to this day, or allowed me to be confident enough talking to people that I could go out and make new friends. My interest in video games led me to play a variety of games and learn what I like and dislike, experience stories that still impacted me, and both of those also led into me getting into the anime I enjoy. The card game was something I took seriously for many years and got me multiple jobs and proved to me it was an interest worth my time, helped me travel to different cities, and let me meet more people. The emotional support probably helped me grow a lot healthier than I would've otherwise and gave me a lot of qualities I'm thankful I have like being empathetic and kind towards others.

It's strange to think that's no longer what my life is like, but that it still impacts me heavily and I wouldn't be who I am today without it. I suppose the answer is just that I'd be a different person. I'd probably still have some of my newer interests but I would've grown up a completely different way, met completely different people and probably would've been a worse, meaner person. Either that, or I'd discover it later in my life, get into it eventually, and today I'd still be trying to become who I am right now. Hard to say, huh?

Back