• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you all think the difficulty of the games are going to be like?

Years
  • Expecting mostly easy. Forced Exp. Share will probably continue to exist, since it did in both BDSP and Legends. I would love a harder difficulty - at least an option for it at the beginning - though I'm not expecting it anytime soon in the series. I hope boss battles can at least lean in the harder difficulty at points, like with the final trainer battle in Legends, but this being our first open-world generation game makes me unsure of what to expect. @_@

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I also think they are going to be easy. Even Legends was easy, at least for me. There might be some power houses, but I really don't think it is going to be hard. I don't think we will ever have another hard Pokemon Game.

Years
  • I also think they are going to be easy. Even Legends was easy, at least for me. There might be some power houses, but I really don't think it is going to be hard. I don't think we will ever have another hard Pokemon Game.
    When were they ever hard?

Years
    • Seen today
    Difficulty in Pokémon games is something players can, to a certain degree, manage by themselves (especially in the newer games) depending on what kind of experience they're looking for.

It's up to the game, however, to provide reasonable options for those who want a more difficult experience.

So, if they keep Exp. Share on all the time... Well, have fun steamrolling everything with your mons 10-15 levels above the opposing trainers' unless you skip half of the trainers in the game or cycle between a team of twelve or more Pokémon to dilute Exp. gain. And if they keep forced affection bonusses, enjoy "winning" Anime battles with the power of friendship instead of winning because you're actually playing well, unless you feed tons of herbs to your mons so they hate you or use cheats to disable this mechanic.

Even if they make trainers somewhat more challenging (see BDSP), difficulty is still going to be a complete joke if we make use of all the advantages these games handle to us. Can't trust Game Freak for a difficult Pokémon game, adding self-imposed rules to cripple ourselves is the only way.

Last edited:
    Years
  • To me, they have never been hard. But people say the older games were hard. So I am saying, people are never going to get the game they want. I just don't see it happening with Pokemon.
    They probably just thought it was hard because they weren't as good back then.
    Trust me, I was constantly walled by random trainers when I younger

Anyways, I think the game probably won't see a difficulty increase or decrease from the previous gens, whether that makes it easy or hard.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • One hard battle to go alongside multiple easy battles, like in most of the newer games. Hopefully the Exp Share will be optional again to make the game at least slightly harder, but that probably won't be the case.

Years
  • It's hard to say. In Pokémon games, difficulty is usually a matter of how much level-grinding you're willing to do.
    I did a lot of exploring in Legends Arceus, so my team was around level 28-30 by the time I fought the first boss, Kleavor, who is at level 18 (I had no way of knowing!).
    Legends Arceus had its challenges, but because of the characters not strictly being Pokémon trainers, they usually had one strong ace, and a few substantially weaker Pokémon. I think Scarlet/Violet will be a bit more difficult, because it's already an established world where people train and battle Pokémon. People can have bigger and more balanced teams (let's hope they do!).

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    With the forced EXP share and the friendship bonuses during battle (if they exist), I imagine it's going to be extremely easy.

Years
    • Seen today
    It's hard to say. In Pokémon games, difficulty is usually a matter of how much level-grinding you're willing to do.
    I did a lot of exploring in Legends Arceus, so my team was around level 28-30 by the time I fought the first boss, Kleavor, who is at level 18 (I had no way of knowing!).

Yeah, that's why in Legends Arceus it's better to frequently swap teams while exploring, doing side-activities or revisiting previous areas to complete stuff, instead of allways keeping your intended main team.

Same happens in other modern games, spend too much time in Sh/Sh wild area, and you'll break the level curve. Spend too much time catching in the underground and battling everyone in BDSP, and you'll break the level curve.

Modern Pokémon games are balanced around rushing/casual play, not around completionist playstyles. They don't want to force anyone to grind or spend too much time on things outside the main story to be able to keep up with the level curve, at least until they've cleared the main story and get into the post-game. As a result, players who have the urge to complete everything as they go will easily end up overlevelled.

Years
  • I think easy. I am not sure but I think they will follow Swo/Shi path, therefore an easy and fast game. On the other hand, it might be that GF decided to complicate things a little more than Swo/Shi, so it could be more difficult but not too much. I would say in between Swo/Shi and BDSP, I guess.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Easy most likely, but tbf name a hard pokémon game (bdsp postgame rematches don't count).

Years
  • Easy most likely, but tbf name a hard pokémon game (bdsp postgame rematches don't count).
    To be fair I am struggling with the elite 4 in bdsp, I'm now having to grind to make it easier on me. I found gen 4 and 5 to be the most difficult generations for myself personally.

Though I'm not the one to complain if the game is easy, I don't like having a challenge myself. I just hope they don't copy gen 8's league, as I don't mind attempting to fight 5 trainers in a row with only using items for healing. Gen 8's league by far was the easiest since you were healed after every battle if you replay the league. I know first time through the story halts the league and makes you do other things to continue the story.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Easy. Draws on decades of Pokemon experience. Usually indulges in things like friendship and the power gimmick for first playthroughs, also.

Expects even levels for the first half, slightly overleveled for the second half, wildly overleveled for the Elite Four, and on par or slightly underleveled for the Champion. Predicts the Champion to be the only difficult battle. May see some difficulty early with a poor matchup with only 2-3 Pokemon on the team, as well.

Years
  • I can see exp share living on still for sure. I'd hope you can turn it off if you wanted to, but yeah. I do not see that happening. I'd hope it'd be a bit difficult, but not too hard for kids.

Back