• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to update to latest pokeemerald from an older version.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
    I've been trying to find the answer to this and can't seem to find anything on the subject.
    If you're using DizzyEgg's branches (battle_engine_v2, item_expansion and/or pokemon_expansion), then you don't need to do anything beyond pulling from them every once in a while. DizzyEgg himself merges his branches with upstream (Pret's Pokeemerald repository) so people don't need to do it themselves.

If you're not using them, then from my point of view you can do 1 of 2 things:
    1) Pull from origin's master branch (this is assuming that you didn't modify the URL that git remote's origin is set to.)
    2) Track Pret's repository via git remote and then pull from there.

It's simpler than it looks.

If you just cloned Pret's Pokeemerald and didn't modify the list of tracked repositories in any way, then you can use git pull origin master and be done with it. Naturally, you'll have to resolve whatever merge conflicts that may arise.
    This command pulls all the commits from the master branch of the chosen repository (by default, "origin" is https://github.com/pret/pokeemerald, you can check this by using git remote -v) that your project doesn't have, and incorporates them into it.

if you cloned Pret's Pokeemerald, but you modified the URL that the repository you're tracking with the name of "origin" is set to for whatever reason, then you can add Pret's Pokeemerald repository as a new git remote, and pull from there. It's pretty simple.
    Code:
    git remote add upstream https://github.com/pret/pokeemerald
    git pull upstream master
    With this, I would be tracking Pret's Pokeemerald repository and I would give it the alias "upstream". Then I proceed to pull from upstream's master branch using git pull.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    Thank you. I think you summed it up pretty well.

Although I've noticed that in the git that not all move animations are done yet. I'm just curious if something like that was done if I needed to update. I appreciate the help.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
    I've noticed that in the git that not all move animations are done yet. I'm just curious if something like that was done if I needed to update.
    Well, naturally, once new move animations are added to the battle_engine_v2, you'll have to git pull that branch in order to incorporate those move animations into your copy/project.

To clarify though, right now, there's many moves that definitely do lack an animation, yeah. The 3 branches are in constant development, so there's that.

Back