• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen I didnt really like Red and Blue's redesigns for FRLG

yamibakura95

Shadow Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2022
    The originals had a certain attitude about them. I liked how the characters were following the 90s fashions, the jeans, the sneakers, the shirts, it was so iconic and i always ascociated the games with that style.

But for the remakes they modernized their style to make it more like RS but it felt like a departure for me. Red looked a lot more rebelish in his original incarnation. A similar thing happened with Gold/Ethan in HGSS.

I didn't mind them too much, but Red in FRLG did look somewhat different/weird to me for the longest time. I still can't figure out why lol. Maybe it was the hair color change, since I'd always assumed he had black hair up until then. Do like the 2016 designs where they're older though!

Spoiler:

yamibakura95

Shadow Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2022
    I didn't mind them too much, but Red in FRLG did look somewhat different/weird to me for the longest time. I still can't figure out why lol. Maybe it was the hair color change, since I'd always assumed he had black hair up until then. Do like the 2016 designs where they're older though!

Spoiler:

legit the hair is different too. they also changed the hat and his shirt is closed in FLG.

The new desings legit look like different people. They also updated them to follow the current fashion but tbh i always ascociated Red/Blue with the 90s. Im generally not a big fan of remakes because i feel like every game had its time and remaking it just doesnt feel the same.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
    I feel at certain times character re-designs are needed.

The 90's design, while being a cool design, was very dated and not a fashion that was popular in the 2000's
    Everything was jeans, jackers, and seriousness. Not as casually laid back and cool kids as the 90's.

Just as the 2016 re-designs are a more relaxed meme'd upon holiday design. Because the charactes are technically on holiday, and a more relaxed version of themselves.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    I didnt really like Red and Blue's redesigns for FRLG

I really like this animation from HgSs, it speaks to me as "oh shit this is the first serious fight in the game." Red says nothing, he simply gazes as you from under the brim.

yamibakura95

Shadow Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2022
    I didnt really like Red and Blue's redesigns for FRLG

I really like this animation from HgSs, it speaks to me as "oh shit this is the first serious fight in the game." Red says nothing, he simply gazes as you from under the brim.

Why did they take his Espeon and give him a Lapras?

I feel at certain times character re-designs are needed.

The 90's design, while being a cool design, was very dated and not a fashion that was popular in the 2000's
    Everything was jeans, jackers, and seriousness. Not as casually laid back and cool kids as the 90's.

Just as the 2016 re-designs are a more relaxed meme'd upon holiday design. Because the charactes are technically on holiday, and a more relaxed version of themselves.

i doesnt feel like the same trainer to me. I grew up with Red as he looked in the RBY instructional booklet and i liked him there. I like Brendan too and i think Brendan sufficed as a character for gen 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Artists always try to improve their art. Pokemon is one of those cases where the franchise happens to be around for so long that you get to see the artists changing their art style multiple times.

I do like the old watercolor-esque style more than the modern ones but even I can't deny that there have been significant improvements.

yamibakura95

Shadow Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2022
    Artists always try to improve their art. Pokemon is one of those cases where the franchise happens to be around for so long that you get to see the artists changing their art style multiple times.

I do like the old watercolor-esque style more than the modern ones but even I can't deny that there have been significant improvements.

I actually liked the artwork even in gen 3. But i feel the colors got a it saturated from gen 4 and onwards

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I didn't mind the frlg redesign, but in fairness I also played as Leaf and I loved her style because it came off as a bit careless to me. I find Red's redesign in usum to be much worse. I get really boring dude vibes lol.

AstroBreak

Tinkerer
    Years
    Although i like the FRLG redesign of Red he definitely looks a bit more souless there than on the original. I can't quite put my finger on why but i'd say it's maybe cause of the frowny, front looking expression. Clothing looks more formal too.

Back