• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Let's Talk Art

Years
    Mostly because every time I pick up one of these Promised Neverland books I spend about ten minutes just staring at how pretty the covers are before I actually get to the story.

So, are there any anime or manga you think have particularly gorgeous art? What do you like about it?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    The art in D.Gray-man was always great! I remember reading through it on a binge when the manga was initially on hiatus... should probably go back and re-read since that was something like 13 years ago lmao.

Manhwa:

Hey, I love me some Tower of God. The way that attacks and powers are drawn and designed is one of my favorite parts of it. Just about everything stylistically has a lore or story reason for the reason it is why it is, which is hype.

The Boxer is another great one. A sports mahwa that's fairly straightforward. There weren't any big flashy attacks, no cool crazy powers or anything of the like, but the details of the characters, the emotions conveyed in their expressions... everything about it artistically was pretty great.

Manga:

On the subject of characters, Bleach and Jojo's are top tier. Between fashion, designs of the characters themselves, and again how their powers/attacks manifest is all just top tier. Say what you want about the lack of backgrounds in Bleach, but the characters are always beautiful.

One punch man's manga is also fantastic. There's been some recent fanservicey stuff which was beautiful, but Murata has been doing a fantastic job in transforming the original sketches of ONE.

Anime:

I think when it comes to anime my favorite art showcases are the series which go a little less traditional in their approach. Things like Ping Pong, Sonny Boy, and Aku no Hana typically jump to mind. There's also the splendor that is big fight scenes provided by ufotable as they're almost always a feast for the eyes in things like Fate and Demon Slayer. And then there's the more subtle beauty in the art of some of the more 'vibey' anime like Chihayafuru, Mushi shi, Violet Evergarden, Magus Bride, and so on and so on. Anime is such a beautiful medium that it's hard to list just a few things and there's so many ways in which to divide the 'feeling' of each style and how the shows utilize it ;u;

Sapphire Rose

[I]Only thorns left on this rose.[/I]
    Years
    The Kyouko Suiri manga has pretty good art. I only watched the anime and picked up the manga yesterday because I read that Koroko's and Kuro's relationship is more apparent in the manga because you know I will take whatever bait leads to more shipping and noticed how pretty the art is. I don't know why that surprised me so.

I will also ALWAYS keep on mentioning how the Rosario Vampire manga actually has gorgeous art and is so much better than that trash of an anime.

Years
    So, for manga I haven't really read enough of it to say much. But it is definitely worth repeating that the cover art for The Promised Neverland is amazing.

For anime though, I have a lot more I could point to. Ufotable fight scenes are visually stunning. Ancient Magus Bride, Violet Evergarden and Made in Abyss are all beautiful to look at - especially the environments. For two more outside picks on this one, I really like the unique art styles that Serial Experiments Lain and Isshukan Friends (what a pair lol) have. One is dark, off-putting and otherworldly while one is very comfy and cute while still being very distinct from typical moe fluff styles.

I'll also just chuck a Manwha here like Alvey did, why not? Eleceed's art is great in general but the expressions and depiction of motion are particularly great.

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Cliche for this Forum but Pokemon Adventures is my favorite Manga art style😫👍

For Anime I love 80s/90s style like Sailor Moon. I watched Dirty Pair last year and loved the show and art it just add so much substance to the world. Magic Knight Rayearth is beautiful as well. Seems like the girl-protag shows get all the best art haha.

My favorite might art might be Ranma but Im biased since its tied for my favorite anime. I like the variation in the art style when it reflects different tones of the show

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2023
    I do the same. I love art, and I've been drawing for more than five years, so art and illustrations are the first things I pay attention to. And you know, there is an idiom, "don't judge a book by its cover," and that's exactly what I do. Sometimes I can buy a book or comics just because of the gorgeous cover. It's hard to say which one is my fav, but I love the covers of Death Note Volume 12: Finis, and even more, I love the cover of Innocent Rouge Vol 12. I hate red, but that cover is just magical. And you know, some time ago, I needed to write a paper on art, and I based it on anime and manga art. I found one source with examples and decided to check this info to find some writing ideas. And I did it! There was an example analysis of one famous painting, and I thought, why not write about covers or other illustrations? It's also art. So, my hobby, literary, helped me with my task.

Last edited:
    Back