• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looking for a "Vanilla" Red 151 ROM Hack

Days
    • Seen Apr 10, 2024
    Hello! Long time reader and Pokemon fan here, first time poster. :smile:

I've been feeling nostalgic and wanted to play some old-school Pokemon - specifically, Red version (my first Pokemon game all the way back in 1998)! I want to play on an emulator and went hunting for a ROM hack or patch that would allow me to find all 151 Pokemon without trading or using glitches/third party programs. This has been surprisingly hard! Most specific Red hacks alter graphics, add difficulty, etc. The one 'Red 151' I did find was actually the Emu Edition that seems to be more like Red 150 - it seems to be lacking any non-glitch way to get Mew.

Any advice on what to look for would be extremely helpful!

Years
  • Hopefully this doesn't come across as unhelpful, but in all honesty it's something you can probably whip up yourself in about 20 minutes.

Get yourself a Red ROM, then this tool:

Then go on a software-journey around Kanto, and wherever there's a split between Red/Blue exclusives, add the Blue exclusives to that map too.

Add Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan to the Safari Zone (replace some Nidoran data), add Eevee and Mew as rare encounters in the Pokemon Mansion, and… voila. Job done.

Days
    • Seen Apr 10, 2024
    Hopefully this doesn't come across as unhelpful, but in all honesty it's something you can probably whip up yourself in about 20 minutes.

Get yourself a Red ROM, then this tool:

Then go on a software-journey around Kanto, and wherever there's a split between Red/Blue exclusives, add the Blue exclusives to that map too.

Add Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan to the Safari Zone (replace some Nidoran data), add Eevee and Mew as rare encounters in the Pokemon Mansion, and… voila. Job done.
    Thanks! I will definitely use that tool. One question it's allowing me to replace Pokemon, is there a way to add Pokemon so that the ones that would normally appear can remain?

Years
  • Thanks! I will definitely use that tool. One question it's allowing me to replace Pokemon, is there a way to add Pokemon so that the ones that would normally appear can remain?
    Adding Pokémon is another matter - I know what you're going for, and I agree it'd be better, but I think outright adding more encounters to a route is when things get complicated.

Best bet is to make use of the various duplicate encounters throughout the game and replace those with the other version exclusives/rarer Pokemon.

If you were comfortable enough setting up a decompilation ("pokered"), I imagine you could add the encounters pretty handily, but that could be a bit daunting. But I'm curious enough to look into that myself, once I have a little time!

Days
    • Seen today
    Are you specifically looking for Mew?

I've been playing FireRed 150 Edition, which is great, but as the name suggests, I think it omits Mew.

Back