• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Previews

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    [Pokeemerald] Map Previews

This feature adds the map preview screens from fire red to pokeemerald
    Map Previews
    Map Previews

How To Add:
    How To Use:
    • Add a map to include/map_preview.h under MapPreviewScreenId (eg. MPS_MT_CHIMNEY)
    • Add an entry to sMapPreviewScreenData following the emerald examples I gave and/or the existing firered map previews I left for comparison
    • Firered maps had world map flags set for all map preview areas, but emerald does not. This only changes the map preview duration. If you want to keep this feature, change FLAG_BASED_MAP_PREVIEW_TIME to TRUE at the top of src/map_preview.c, then define flags for each area you want to visit (they must also be set in a map_script upon entering). Otherwise, they will appear for the length shown in the above GIFs.

Notes:
    • I added a forest(Petalburg Woods) and Cave(Meteor Falls) example, but all other maps do not have map previews included. Feel free to submit a Pull Request with completed Emerald map previews, though! :)
    • The map name window accompanying the image is currently just a regular textbox as opposed to the cool graphics included in emerald. Sadly, short amount of time I spent trying to add the graphical map name popups resulted in distorted images, so regular textboxes will have to make do for now
    • I've only tested forests and caves, so far. The map loading iterations between emerald and firered are different so others may cause problems. Please report bugs here!

Last edited:

MysteryGift

disassembly tinkerer / pkmnubuntu dev
    Years
  • Thanks for porting and sharing! Messing around with it was pretty fun

Hey man - did you make that forest image yourself? If not, do you have any links to graphics like that?

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2023
    Hey man - did you make that forest image yourself? If not, do you have any links to graphics like that?

If I'm not mistaken that's an edit of the location art from when you enter Ilex Forest in the morning in HG/SS. If you go on Spriters Resource you can find a sheet with all of these backgrounds

Back