• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC's Best-Of 2015!

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    Okay, this might end up being the first post I make with proper capitalization and punctuation, so you should read this if only for that. (Also, I don't have any fancy CSS or anything so I am very sorry for that. Very. Sorry.)

ANYWAY. Since we aren't doing Member of the Year this year, I figured I'd drum up the next best thing and people like voting for things, or at least that's what I have observed in my experience, so without further ado: some General Entertainment-driven best-of's!

Now, there aren't many categories but there is an express reason that I did that (& it isn't laziness) -- I want you to write a little something about these things. If you're pressed for time or something I'm obviously not gonna, like, remove your post if you don't, but I'm trying to encourage some intelligent discourse about your favorite things of 2015. This is probably unorthodox but I'm encouraging discussion within this thread -- the one thing about voting threads such as these is that they are very post-and-go, which is in its nature so it's not necessarily a bad thing per se, but I'd like to try and stifle that a little bit and have some Talkin' going on in here. So please -- debate other peoples' choices. Ask them questions about their write-ups. Anything and everything.

THE CATEGORIES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
    Best Album/EP
    Best Song
    Best Film
    Best New TV Series
    Best Internet Fad (for example, like, The Dress that was a huge thing in February or something)
    Most Influential Person
    Best Video Game (not necessarily General Entertainment, BUT)
    Best Book
    Best Music Video

I was just in the shower and I thought of one or two more, but alas, they are gone. Perhaps I've included them and I just don't remember. Regardless, I hope that the lack of extraneous unnecessary 60 bajillion categories does not underwhelm you. Have a ball. You don't have to answer all of them, of course. I'll be posting my choices tomorrow. Merry Christmas. Love you.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Will edit this as I goooo.

Best Album/EP:
    Best Song:
    Best Film: Inside Out
    Best New TV Series: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Slightly off-the-wall vote, but honestly I thought the series was really fun and enjoyable ^_^.
    Best Internet Fad:
    Most Influential Person:
    Best Video Game:
    Best Book:
    Best Music Video:

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Best Album/EP: Instant Gratification, Dance Gavin Dance
    Best Song: Shake It Off - Taylor Swift, and the Trust The Medic cover.
    Best Film: Ant-Man. I only saw the Marvel films of those that released this year, and I liked this one better than Age of Ultron.
    Best New TV Series: Jessica Jones
    Best Internet Fad: I don't remember any!
    Most Influential Person: For me personally, the Mcelroy brothers, from the MBMBAM podcast, who have entertained my through most of my brainless work and sick days. On society, I dunno, Zayne Malick or something.
    Best Video Game: I've had so much fun with Rocket League
    Best Book: Oh man, I've only read classic literature and school books this year. I guess I could put down Frankenstein.
    Best Music Video: I the Mighty - Miss Erray

Best New TV Series: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Slightly off-the-wall vote, but honestly I thought the

I've heard it's very cringe comedy. Is this true? Also, I need to see Inside Out sometime, like, damn, I wanna see that flick.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I've heard it's very cringe comedy. Is this true? Also, I need to see Inside Out sometime, like, damn, I wanna see that flick.

It's a bit cringey but that's the kind of comedy I get along with :P Bad jokes are best jokes. Also the theme song is a total random earworm.

Sefuree

Canada Goose
    Years
    Best Song: Drake - Hotline Bling
    Best Film: Ted 2 (The only one i saw this year)
    Best New TV Series: Supergirl
    Best Internet Fad: JOHN CENA!!!
    Most Influential Person: None
    Best Video Game: Fallout 4
    Best Book: None
    Best Music Video: Drake - Hotline Bling

:P

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
    Best Album/EP To Pimp A Butterfly, Kendrick Lamar​
    The fusion of jazz and funk instrumentation combined with K-Dot's excellent song-writing and flow made this album my favourite out of a long tough list, simply because I believe this'll be celebrated as one of the best rap albums of this decade in years to come. There's a surprising amount of variety in display - from the serene, almost spiritual beat in 'For Sale? (Interlude)', the funky strut of 'King Kunta' to the harsh boom-bap of 'The Blacker The Berry' Kendrick tells a story that while isn't as straightforward or chronological as in good kid, m.a.a.d city, it's one that certainly covers a much wider range of topics that concerns his own fame, morality and the black community in the whole. There's a reason why Obama chose 'How Much A Dollar Cost' as his favourite track of 2015.​

Honourable mentions: Currents, Tame Impala; So The Flies Don't Come, Milo; Live From The Dentist Office, Injury Reserve; Another One, Mac DeMarco; Sound & Color, Alabama Shakes​

Best Song The Less I Know The Better, Tame Impala​

That killer bassline, along with the stellar production just edges this song over 'Alright' for me. I could dance to this all day and still not get bored dammit​

Honourable mentions: Alright, Kendrick Lamar; Hotline Bling, Drake​

Best New TV Series Masters Of None​

Aziz Ansari might play a similar character to Tom Haverford (Parks & Recreation) in Masters Of None as Dev, but the tone of the two shows couldn't be any more different. MoN is definitely hilarious, but also cinematic and intensely personal at times too. Some of the stories here struck a surprisingly deep chord with me, especially episode two 'Parents' which focuses on Dev's and Brian's immigrant parents, their struggles when they decided to move to America and their relationship with their second-generation sons. The realism of the plot and the humour overall appealed to me in a big way and I came out craving for more.

Honourable mentions: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt​

Best Internet Fad The Dress​
    Divided my family apart for a few weeks, think that's enough impact for it to gain this award lol​

Best Music Video The Less I Know The Better, Tame Impala​

Would have been Hotline Bling until this bomb dropped, the whole video is just amazing.​

Honourable mentions: Hotline Bling, Drake​

Last edited:

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I'mma get my thoughts on each as I go. Since you desire discussion, feel free to respond to my opinions. :)

Best Album/EP
    What Went Down - Foals
    What is unarguably the only full album of 2015 I've heard this year, it's also by one of my favorite bands. From the smooth Mountain At My Gates to the raw intensity of self-titled What Went Down, it's a great mix of everything I love about Foals.​
    Best Song
    Paw Print - The White Panda
    It's not technically a "song", but a full-length album. The problem is you just can't listen to it track-by-track, but as an entire mashup song. The White Panda is my go-to mashup duo these days after Girl Talk utterly disappeared and no other mashup artist can compare to these guys. If you like hip hop, pop, electronica, dance, rock, and plenty more, this "track" has it all and mashes up well over seventy artists and bands together to make a flowing piece.
    Other songs: Hotline Bling (Drake), The Hills (The Weeknd), Lean On (Major Lazer feat. Mø, DJ Snake)​
    Best Film
    Inside Out
    Of course this would be the best movie I've seen this year. It was way better than anything else and has become a favorite Pixar movie of mine. It's got a great story, the emotional beats of the best movies around, and it's as Pixar-esque as they come.​
    Other movies: Mission Impossible: Rogue Nations, The Night Before, Ant-Man
    Best New TV Series
    Sense8
    A Netflix Original, this show blends together the best of what The Matrix, 24, and LOST in a uniquely twisted world of linked minds and powers. It's probably one of my favorite new shows and I can't wait to see what else is in store with it. Netflix proves it's got the best original content right now and, if my "Other Shows" list is any indication, the competition is nowhere close.
    Other shows: Mr. Robot, Bloodline, Narcos, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp
    Best TV Series (New or Old): The Leftovers
    Where some shows really shine is taking things that worked in the previous seasons and leaving behind what didn't. This season of The Leftovers is unarguably better than its predecessor and it shows. From the hauntingly twisted intro to the absolutely diabolical plot threads, THIS show is the best there is right now.​
    Best Internet Fad
    John Cena meme​
    Most Influential Person
    Donald Trump
    Before you jump on me for this, I feel Donald Trump has electrified the political sphere this year. I don't think 2016 will be as good for him, but in no other election cycle has someone like him succeeded for so long and so well. His crass, blunt, and "say it like he feels it is" attitude has been a breath of fresh air for many (and a stinky fart for others) in a political world where canned and programmed responses are common and saying what is politically expedient is paramount. While watching the debates, he says what he likes and succeeds, while the previous "shoe-in" candidate, Jeb Bush, now sits at 5% support. He may not be likable, honest, or even presidential, but he's done a lot for this election cycle - good and bad.​
    Best Video Game
    Fallout 4
    I can arguably say that no other game has brought me as much enjoyment this year, while also saying that The Witcher 3 provided an, overall, more polished and powerful experience. Fallout 4 is something I've been desperately waiting on and it's delivered an experience of pure quality in that regard. I'm roughly 48 hours into the game and barely even scratching the surface of the game thanks to fantastic world-building and settlement-building elements that further enhance the feeling of the Wasteland.
    Other games:
    The Witcher 3, Darkest Dungeon, Super Mario Maker
    Best Book
    Perhaps sickeningly, I didn't read many books this year or remember any of note.​
    Best Music Video
    Hotline Bling - Drake​

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Best Album/EP: Delirium by Ellie Goulding
    Best Song: Can't Feel my Face by The Weeknd
    Best Film: Bridge of Spies (because Star Wars 7 hasn't come out yet)
    Best New TV Series: Marvel's Jessica Jones or Aziz Ansari's Master of None
    Best Internet Fad: JOHN CENA
    Most Influential Person: Kanye West, Bernie Sanders
    Best Video Game: Fallout 4
    Best Book: Is it my favorite that were written this year or which I've read? Two of my favorite that were written this year are The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson and Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham. My favorite book that I've probably read this year was The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand or when I finally got around to reading Perks of Being a Wallflower.
    Best Music Video: Hotline Bling by Drake.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Best Album/EP
    Best Song
    Best Film

Best New TV Series Star Butterfly VS the Forces of Evil
    Best Internet Fad The Dress
    Most Influential Person
    Best Video Game Undertale
    Best Book
    Best Music Video

There will likely be more that I come back to add but I'm gonna get my primary votes up now while they're fresh in my mind.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Best Album/EP: The Weeknd: Beauty Behind the Madness
    Best Song: Adelle: Hello
    Best Film: Inside Out
    Best New TV Series: I'm boring and watch never ending old stuff on Netflix...
    Best Internet Fad: Drake... and his mad dancing skills.
    Most Influential Person: Bernie Sanders.
    Best Video Game (not necessarily General Entertainment, BUT): Minecraft. Don't care. Love it.
    Best Book: ...I don't read. ]: Shame on me, I know.
    Best Music Video: Sia: Alive

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I only watched like two movies this year and pretty much less of them, perhaps I should aim to do more of that next year.

Best Internet Fad: The Cool Cat Saves the Kids Phenomenon is incredible.

Sukyandaru

kimi ni baby sweet berry love
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2019
    Best Video Game: HuniePop
    haven't played fallout4 or undertale or all that ;_;

Last edited:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Best Song oh my love by the score? idk
    Best Film can I vote star wars even though it's not out yet
    Best New TV Series DIGIMON ADVENTURE TRI [i dont watch many new tv shows]
    Best Internet Fad GOOD **** MEME which I can't post because emojis turn into � apparently
    Best Video Game legend of zelda majora's mask 3d, pokemon super mystery dungeon [SADLY don't have access to splatoon... YET]
    Best Book rose society by marie lu, sky key by james frey, the sword of summer by rick riordan [people haven't read this year oml... i read all of these in like 3 days im not joking lol very good, i recommend the first of each series if you like YA fantasy]

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Time to be niche as hell. Can't get more general than these picks.

THE CATEGORIES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
    Best Album/EP: Cafe de Touhou 7
    Best Song: Day You Laugh by the Backstreet Boys
    Best Film: Movies came out this year? Well the only one I watched was Resurrection F, so...I mean, I wouldn't normally pick it considering it wasn't all that great. The Martian was probably better. But yeah, Resurrection F. Let's go with that.
    Best New TV Series: Food Wars
    Most Influential Person: Donald Trump
    Best Internet Fad: Donald Trump
    Best Video Game (not necessarily General Entertainment, BUT): Undertale is what I would say, but Sukyan inspired me to choose my fourth pick, Huniepop. Condolences to Bloodborne and Xenoblade X.
    Best Book: Seconds (by Bryan O'Malley)
    Best Music Video: Not much of a Music Video guy, so I think I'll go with Day You Laugh for this one, as well.

Back