• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Picking back up old games

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I left God of War 2018 towards the end of the story. I last played in March last year. Darn.

How do you go about stuff like this? Do you start over, read a recap, or replay it?

I feel like many of my games end up unfinished because I can't decide.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Depends on how long it was since last playing. Skimmed a Youtube video last time, though. Sufficed to remember the story and maybe the odd mechanic.

Probably starts over in some cases. Thinks of a Fire Emblem: Fates playthrough. Dropped it somewhere in the middle after a lot of grinding (from the self-imposed restriction). Would not pick it back up there.

Years
  • If I remember enough of it I'll just start where I left off. But if it's a very story-heavy game and I forgot a bunch of things I'd be more inclined to make a new file.. I did this with Bravely Default for the 3DS. Played an hour or two and then dropped it for 5+ years. At that point I remembered nothing and just had to start over lol, fortunately I didn't make much progress to catch up with. @_@

Years
  • Reminds me that I still need to re-continue PLA lol
    It's been shelved for what, a year now?

Anyway... GTA 5 also comes to mind, but my laptop could barely handle that so I don't think it's possible to pick that back up at all until I get a new one.
    Not really sure what else I've left unfinished... that I actually want to finish lol
    Like I never finished Super Meat Boy, but that game became so hard at one point that I just ditched it completely.

Depends on how far into the game I was I guess... usually just taking a look around and looking at any menus to jog my memory and re-familiarizing myself with the controls will be enough. But if I only barely started the game I might as well start a new playthrough.

Need to go and finish off my Morrowind playthrough some time, but don't really feel like doing it any time soon.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I've definitely done that sort of thing with some games (the example I can think of is the original Super Mario RPG, I owned it for maybe 10+ years before finally beating it) but it's usually really hard for me to jump back into a game if I stopped playing it for anything longer than maybe a couple months. I feel like it's a lot easier to drop RPGs mid-way through and those are the kinds of games where I really want to have the whole experience together instead of having to look up what I forgot about it.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • If it's only been a few months I'll usually just pick up where I left, but otherwise I just start over even if it's a long game.

But I suppose it also depends on the game since like... most RPGs I'd start over because I can't remember what was going on, but if I ever go back to Pokémon Scarlet, I'd probably just persevere and try to figure out where I am and what I'm doing because I wouldn't wanna lose the Pokémon I trained. Even if I can't for the life of me remember my team anyway, lol.

Back