• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Complete] Pokémon Fan Game Calls out Nintendo

Years
  • Hey everyone! This would be my first post on the PokéCommunity Daily, so feel free to give as much feedback as possible! So pretty much I noticed a lot of fan games being taken down and one unexpected fan-game had stuff to say! I talked to the team behind the game and wrote this article! Thanks for giving it a look!

The creators of Pokémon Wet Moat, a fan made hack for Pokémon Fire Red that released on April 1st, took the opportunity of the game's popularity to call out Nintendo.

Pokémon Wet Moat has gained mainstream popularity due to the exposure YouTubers have given it. The videos add up to hundreds of thousands of views. This led to more downloads and more people to see Wet Moat's message.

Team Meat, the creators behind the game, are the first to admit their game is heavily based on memes, but takes pauses to get serious about the future of Nintendo fan games.

"Sure they (Fan Game Creators) knew Nintendo would eventually take notice if their games got too big, but for something that is essentially a hobby, I feel like showing love for a franchise that they really enjoy is a rewarding experience," Wet Moat's Professor said. "Even with the risk of a lawsuit, amongst other things."

Nintendo has been known to be a stickler for taking down non-licensed fan-made games. Pokémon Uranium planned on releasing in August last year, but after nine years of development, Nintendo pulled the plug on the game.

Nintendo fans have been noticeably upset about the absence of support from Nintendo for fan projects. Despite releasing creative tools like Mario Maker, Nintendo has been less lenient than even with fan-made games.

After talking to Team Meat, they still seemed positive saying, "Games are being taken down, but anyways people are still making fan games and that's neat."

Last edited by a moderator:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Hey everyone! This would be my first post on the PokéCommunity Daily, so feel free to give as much feedback as possible! So pretty much I noticed a lot of fan games being taken down and one unexpected fan-game had stuff to say! I talked to the team behind the game and wrote this article! Thanks for giving it a look!
    Good start!

First, some general comments. Each article needs a cover image - do you have any in mind or know of any to use? No need to worry about making one (but if you want to go ahead), as we have a few folks on the team who can do that and also you can request it from the forum members too. If an image that already exists is ideal that can work too, e.g. image to do with that Wet Moat hack. If you do want to make one we have some notes about ideal sizes for them here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=367237 (see 'guidelines' in the first post).

Next - each article needs an excerpt; a short sentence or two giving the gist for the article. They appear below the article title and also on the Daily homepage/comment threads.
    The creators of Pokémon Wet Moat, a fan made hack for Pokémon Fire Red that released on April 1st, took the opportunity of the game's popularity to call out Nintendo.
    I would link to this ROM hack within this sentence.
    The videos add up to hundreds of thousands of views.
    Likewise, here I would link to one of these videos
    Nintendo fans have been noticeably upset about the absence of support from Nintendo for fan projects.
    Kill the space before Nintendo here.
    Despite releasing creative tools like Mario Maker, Nintendo has been less lenient than even with fan-made games.
    "...less than lenient with fan-made games" sounds better to me.

I would add a short bit at the end asking readers what their thoughts on the issue is too, just to encourage people to discuss what you wrote.

Back