• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Modern Emerald (Complete, 2.3 Released! Following Pokémon, Modern Battle Frontier, and more!)

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Hmm.. I can't seem to get L+R to run away from Encounters.
    Using Gameboy Advance with EZFlash cartridge

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Hi,
    Thank you for all your work on Modern Emerald, this is really impressive how much you changed the experience for the better.
    I have a few questions if you don't mind. I hope they have not been answering before (I spend quite some time reading the forum).

Would it be possible to change the quick runaway to : A to fight and B to run ? Playing on an emulator with touchscreen only make the quick run not really usable (by the way, this is the feature I like the most. I have been thinking that it would be a logical and practical addition to the saga, and was thrilled to discover that someone actually implemented it in a game, really nice job).

Can I apply the patch on a french ROM ? For sure all you modification will be in english, but will this technically work?

Thank you.

Years
    • Seen today
    Hmm.. I can't seem to get L+R to run away from Encounters.
    Using Gameboy Advance with EZFlash cartridge
    You also have to press A.
    Hi,
    Thank you for all your work on Modern Emerald, this is really impressive how much you changed the experience for the better.
    I have a few questions if you don't mind. I hope they have not been answering before (I spend quite some time reading the forum).

Would it be possible to change the quick runaway to : A to fight and B to run ? Playing on an emulator with touchscreen only make the quick run not really usable (by the way, this is the feature I like the most. I have been thinking that it would be a logical and practical addition to the saga, and was thrilled to discover that someone actually implemented it in a game, really nice job).

Can I apply the patch on a french ROM ? For sure all you modification will be in english, but will this technically work?

Thank you.
    You're lucky actually! I was planning on releasing 2.2 today and it includes a way to enable quickrun in 2 ways: LR or B->A.
    And no, you can't patch a French rom.

2.2 changelog:
    • New "level cap" feature to rematches. Now rematches won't overlevel the Ace Pokémon of the next gym (click for more info).
    • New quick run option: Now you can select between "off", "L+R" or "B->A".
    • Vitamins now cost 1350$ but are uncapped (you can use them even if the stat has 100 EVs). Every vitamin will add 14 EVs, and you'll need around 50.000$ to fully max EVs (and 37 bottles in total).
    • In other words, you can now decided to EV train fast using vitamins (but requires money) or using the EV gym in Lilycove (but takes longer).
    • Shops will have PP restoring moves while playing the Pokécenter Challenge.
    • Restored Battle Frontier lounges to their original sizes.
    • Music changed in the EV gym.
    • Grovyle and Sceptile are not Dragon type with Modern Typings. Added dragon breath to their movepool.
    • Masquerain is now Bug / Water with Modern Typings.
    • Noctowl is now Psychic / Flying with Modern Typings.
    • Politoed has a BST of 510 (same as Poliwrath, which was changed in Gen VI) with Modern Stats.
    • Cacophony added as an ability to Noctowl. It boosts sound-based moves (so it can retain the STAB while using normal type sound moves, only for Modern Stats).
    • Slightly changed some trainers, including Steven's rematch.
    • Fixed a few typos.
    • Fixed battle moves and contest moves not swapping instantly in "Moves" tab in the Pokédex.
    • Fixed rival battle music with music other than Gen 3's.
    • Fixed EXP. Sound after a trade evolution.

Days
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Fantastic! You really have a great sense of UX design. Thanks!
    Thinking of it, I'm willing to translate the game in french if you agree. I have no dev skills (basic C++) but translating all your modifications is something I can do.

Edit : I tried the 2.2 version. Quick run with B is not exactly what I excepted. Still useful, I like it. But I thought that B could trigger the runaway before sending the Pokémon, just like L+R. This way playing without controller allow quick run without pressing 3 buttons at a time on the touchscreen.
    I think the option B -> A should be a standard, and the option menu allow change between L+R or B to run before sending the Pokémon.

Edit 2: was playing version 1.5 earlier today, and noticed that when catching a new Pokémon, it said that data have been added to the Pokédex, without actually opening the corresponding entry. It's not the case anymore in 2.2. I thini this would make a nice option to add, like Pokédex on capture On/Off.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    You also have to press A.

You're lucky actually! I was planning on releasing 2.2 today and it includes a way to enable quickrun in 2 ways: LR or B->A.
    And no, you can't patch a French rom.

2.2 changelog:
    • New "level cap" feature to rematches. Now rematches won't overlevel the Ace Pokémon of the next gym (click for more info).
    • New quick run option: Now you can select between "off", "L+R" or "B->A".
    • Vitamins now cost 1350$ but are uncapped (you can use them even if the stat has 100 EVs). Every vitamin will add 14 EVs, and you'll need around 50.000$ to fully max EVs (and 37 bottles in total).
    • In other words, you can now decided to EV train fast using vitamins (but requires money) or using the EV gym in Lilycove (but takes longer).
    • Shops will have PP restoring moves while playing the Pokécenter Challenge.
    • Restored Battle Frontier lounges to their original sizes.
    • Music changed in the EV gym.
    • Grovyle and Sceptile are not Dragon type with Modern Typings. Added dragon breath to their movepool.
    • Masquerain is now Bug / Water with Modern Typings.
    • Noctowl is now Psychic / Flying with Modern Typings.
    • Politoed has a BST of 510 (same as Poliwrath, which was changed in Gen VI) with Modern Stats.
    • Cacophony added as an ability to Noctowl. It boosts sound-based moves (so it can retain the STAB while using normal type sound moves, only for Modern Stats).
    • Slightly changed some trainers, including Steven's rematch.
    • Fixed a few typos.
    • Fixed battle moves and contest moves not swapping instantly in "Moves" tab in the Pokédex.
    • Fixed rival battle music with music other than Gen 3's.
    • Fixed EXP. Sound after a trade evolution.
    I'll try again with the new update. I did try L+R when they mention it but nothing changes. I've also tried to do L+R in the state where i choose to fight or bag or pokemon or run.

Years
    • Seen today
    Fantastic! You really have a great sense of UX design. Thanks!
    Thinking of it, I'm willing to translate the game in french if you agree. I have no dev skills (basic C++) but translating all your modifications is something I can do.

Edit : I tried the 2.2 version. Quick run with B is not exactly what I excepted. Still useful, I like it. But I thought that B could trigger the runaway before sending the Pokémon, just like L+R. This way playing without controller allow quick run without pressing 3 buttons at a time on the touchscreen.
    I think the option B -> A should be a standard, and the option menu allow change between L+R or B to run before sending the Pokémon.

Edit 2: was playing version 1.5 earlier today, and noticed that when catching a new Pokémon, it said that data have been added to the Pokédex, without actually opening the corresponding entry. It's not the case anymore in 2.2. I thini this would make a nice option to add, like Pokédex on capture On/Off.

I don't mind if you translate it to French.
    Well, people have been asking about this version of Quick Run for some time 😅 . I'll see what I can do.
    Pokedex text was removed mostly because of a bug. To be honest, it's pretty fast to skip so I see no point in adding an option to skip it.

Days
    • Seen Apr 24, 2024
    I'm very excited to try this one out! Can you recommend an emulator to use on Android since MyBoy doesn't run it?

Days
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I noticed somewhere between 1.5.6 and the current version that emeralds cloning glitch was silently removed. Would you consider adding it back in?
    I feel like it's an unnecessary diversion from the quirks of the original game that players can use if they choose. I use it to get pre evolution copies to complete my living Dex

Thanks for all your work on this rom hack, I appreciate the updates

Years
    • Seen today
    I noticed somewhere between 1.5.6 and the current version that emeralds cloning glitch was silently removed. Would you consider adding it back in?
    I feel like it's an unnecessary diversion from the quirks of the original game that players can use if they choose. I use it to get pre evolution copies to complete my living Dex

Thanks for all your work on this rom hack, I appreciate the updates

Was it? That may have happened when updating the main project. They may have done an optional bugfix that is globally enabled.
    With that said, obtaining, breeding and levelling up Pokémon is way easier than in the original, so while I understand what it was useful for, I don't think it is as useful anymore.

I'm very excited to try this one out! Can you recommend an emulator to use on Android since MyBoy doesn't run it?
    I can't give you an answer because I don't use Android devices to play. Maybe another user can enlighten you. Isn't mGBA on Android?

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Sorry to see this...but I had an issue with the HIDDEN POWER move 😭 I tried with multiple Pokémon, but it actually does NORMAL type damage (It had no effect on wild Gastly found in the abandoned ship)
    Playing on PC, with mGBA

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2024
    Does anybody know how chain fishing works in this romhack? There is no documentation for this game so I don't know exactly how it works. I've gotten 3 shinies really easily before, usually within the first 10 encounters, but sometimes I can go hundreds of encounters with no shiny. I've tried using save states so if it says nothings biting I reload until it says a pokemon is on the hook every single time, I've tried not pressing start to go into the menus(don't know if that cancels the chain or not), and I've tried just killing and just catching. It seems very inconsistent. Does anybody know the exact specifics of how to optimize it and what breaks the chain?

Days
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Sorry to see this...but I had an issue with the HIDDEN POWER move 😭 I tried with multiple Pokémon, but it actually does NORMAL type damage (It had no effect on wild Gastly found in the abandoned ship)
    Playing on PC, with mGBA
    That's happen to me too! I put all 31 ivs, but the type is normal, must be fairy or dark!

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen yesterday
    As Pokémon veteran player (I started with SILVER in may 2001) I'm trying to find some suggestion to make certain Pokémon (starter ones especially) better:

VENUSAUR's learnset seems to be TOO VANILLA. It should learn EARTH POWER and WEATHER BALL (like in Generation VIII+)
    BLASTOISE is already good with its wide learnset.
    FERALIGATR is already good with its new Base Stat distribution.
    SCEPTILE is quite good, maybe more type coverage for special moves (SpA > Atk) should be good (for example AIR SLASH or DARK PULSE)

About missing starters...I'll analyze themselves when I'll catch them.

Days
  • The formatting of some of the evolution strings in the Pokedex is a bit off. It's especially noticeable when looking at Eevee's Evo tab.

The strings in question are:
    • Lvlup, high friendship, night: Up should be capitalized.
    • LvlUp,holds {STR_VAR_2}, &c.: There should be a space after the comma.

Days
    • Seen Apr 25, 2024
    Hi there
    So I'm running on MGBA and have had a bug, I think.
    No matter what, even when my budew has high enough friendship to get the soothe bell from the slateport fan club, it doesn't evolve.
    Any ideas?

Days
  • Hi there
    So I'm running on MGBA and have had a bug, I think.
    No matter what, even when my budew has high enough friendship to get the soothe bell from the slateport fan club, it doesn't evolve.
    Any ideas?
    It's not a bug. Friendship evolutions require a friendship of 220 or higher, while getting the Soothe Bell only requires a friendship of 150.

Soulmates

Hogwarts is my Home
    Days
  • As Pokémon veteran player (I started with SILVER in may 2001) I'm trying to find some suggestion to make certain Pokémon (starter ones especially) better:

VENUSAUR's learnset seems to be TOO VANILLA. It should learn EARTH POWER and WEATHER BALL (like in Generation VIII+)
    BLASTOISE is already good with its wide learnset.
    FERALIGATR is already good with its new Base Stat distribution.
    SCEPTILE is quite good, maybe more type coverage for special moves (SpA > Atk) should be good (for example AIR SLASH or DARK PULSE)

About missing starters...I'll analyze themselves when I'll catch them.
    no offense, but as a veteran Player myself (i started with Red/Yellow when they first came out), if you don't like a way a hacker set up their game, don't play it. it's not up to you to decide how to make Pokemon in a hack 'better'. Pokemon isn't meant to be analyzed, it's meant to be enjoyed and had fun with. i don't see anyone else complaining about the starters, just you. As i said before: if you don't like, don't play. simple.

Years
    • Seen today
    The formatting of some of the evolution strings in the Pokedex is a bit off. It's especially noticeable when looking at Eevee's Evo tab.

The strings in question are:
    • Lvlup, high friendship, night: Up should be capitalized.
    • LvlUp,holds {STR_VAR_2}, &c.: There should be a space after the comma.
    Yeah, the HGSS Pokédex is a bit inconsistent.

no offense, but as a veteran Player myself (i started with Red/Yellow when they first came out), if you don't like a way a hacker set up their game, don't play it. it's not up to you to decide how to make Pokemon in a hack 'better'. Pokemon isn't meant to be analyzed, it's meant to be enjoyed and had fun with. i don't see anyone else complaining about the starters, just you. As i said before: if you don't like, don't play. simple.
    It's fine, I'm the one who asked other people about their opinion on the balancing. Good thing is: the code is all on Github, so people can rebalance stuff however they see fit.

Does anybody know how chain fishing works in this romhack? There is no documentation for this game so I don't know exactly how it works. I've gotten 3 shinies really easily before, usually within the first 10 encounters, but sometimes I can go hundreds of encounters with no shiny. I've tried using save states so if it says nothings biting I reload until it says a pokemon is on the hook every single time, I've tried not pressing start to go into the menus(don't know if that cancels the chain or not), and I've tried just killing and just catching. It seems very inconsistent. Does anybody know the exact specifics of how to optimize it and what breaks the chain?
    https://github.com/pret/pokeemerald/wiki/Chain-Fishing
    This is the only place where you'll find information about it. It works the same way (I think?) as the main games, where depending on the number of chains (41 being the maximum) the game rolls a number and if that number is below the specified shiny number, it'll be shiny. Of course, the Shiny Chance selected at the start applies to Chain Fishing. If you set it to 512 and you start chain fishing, shinies will appear quite a lot.

Reeling into a different species breaks the chain, letting the Pokémon get away also breaks the chain, changing the map does as well and, in theory, opening the menu doesn't. As you can see the code is pretty small and there may be other ways to break the chain that I don't know.

Also, I can assure you this works since if the code is modified to increase rolls to a very high number, all fishing encounters become shiny.

Playing on PC, with mGBA
    I swear that Hidden Power has been the bane of my existence since I added a way to check its type both in battle and in the summary screen plus the fairy type. I'm this close to reversing these 3 changes to make it work xd

EDIT: I fixed it. It was a problem with the addition of the Pixilate ability. Now Hidden Power works on Ghost types as it should (it didn't mean that the HP was Normal Type) and Pixilate works as expected. Funnily enough, this meant that HP didn't have any type effectiveness against any type.

I also changed how HP behaves. The formula to calculate HP is now the same as vanilla, meaning that 31IVs means Dark Type (and not Fairy anymore). However, if a Pokémon gets a number that equates Mistery Type, that will now become Fairy Type.

Last edited:
    Back