• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Complete] Pokémon Theme Song Quarter Million Notes Remix

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I saw here that you can post your creations as well, like art, music, etc. I hope my remix can make it into the PokeCommunity Daily. I could also write a mini article on how I got to know Pokémon and why I chose this song to impossify as well if that's required or suggested.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Of5eFOFIxVY

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I've been working on a hit of a draft now... here's what I have so far. This is a draft of the first portion of the article, talking about how I got into the impossible music genre and the steps on making one. The second portion will about why I chose to do one of the Pokémon Theme Song, and the third will be links to materials and helpful resources

It's not too long ago that I got involved in the impossible music genre (around the beginning of this year) which is also known by its fancy name, Black MIDIs. The name derives from the fact that MIDIs are a type of computer music file, storing information about the specific notes of the song, the tempo; what you would find in a song. The "black" part from its name indicates toward that if the notes from the MIDI were put onto a piece of manuscript paper, the psper would appear completely black, due to the sheer amount of notes in the MIDI.

I first found this type of music on YouTube, specifically the Hardest Piano Song in Synthesia by Super Enguana Pianist. It was so amazing, utilizing techniques such as playing all 88 keys at once to create a percussion like effect with the piano and artzy stuff, like the diamonds. From there, through recommended videos and such I found the official Black MIDI fanbase on Google Plus. That's when I started to get involved in this "blacking" (a term coined for making music impossible) scene. After half a year studying the unique styles of other blackers and getting to know the software a bit better, I set off to make my first Black MIDI, that of the Undertale theme Asgore. The Pokémon Theme Song Black MIDI that I made is my second Black MIDI.

A common misconception of Black MIDIs is that it is all about the quantity of notes versus the quality of the sound, which is definitely not true. There are many styles out there, ranging from spammy ones, loaded with a bunch of visual art composed of notes (such as the almost 200 million notes The Nuker 3) and quality ones around 100,000 notes, focusing on how well the audio sounds while preserving the qualities of a Black MIDI, such having drum beats composed out of playing multiple keys at once, glissandos across the keyboard, strums, art (specifically diamond shaped art), and crash points.

Another common misconception about Black MIDIs is that they sound fake-ish, which can be seen in different points of view. Black MIDIs, being impossible, will always have a fake ring to it, with the drum beats, strums too fast to be played by humans, and the piano screech sounds at crash points. However, the ring of the sound depends all on the soundfont. Soundfonts come in a variety of forms, the most popular being sf2 and sfz. I personally prefer the sfz format file, being easy to edit via a text editor (the filtering and note releases) and it supporting true stereo and dynamic filtering (which llmorphs the way the key sounds to sound realistic for different dynamics) wins me over. In fact, these soundfonts, when used with normal MIDIs that are playable by a human, can sound quite realistic. Additionally, although most Black MIDIs do feature exclusively piano due to its naturally expansive key ranges, there are Black MIDIs out there that involve different instruments or a combination of them from violins to flutes.

The process of making a Black MIDI took me a while to get used to. The main outline of the steps is as follows:
    1. You need a program to make the Black MIDI. I'd suggest Domino, it being free to use and easy to use as well. The latest version is in Japanese, but the functions are about the same as the older English translation version, which you can understand after a but of usage on the English one. The main reason to get the latest version is because it fixes a lot of the tempo bugs and works with pedals. Otherwise, a good alternative for a MIDI making program is FL Studio, though beware that it is not free and does require you to purchase it to save your work as a project file, otherwise you have to save it as a MIDI and reimport it when you want to work on it, which is a bit annoying. It is also quite bulky for a program needing to be installed and such, while Domino is a portable program that is only a couple megabytes large. I haven't worked with FL, so I can't give you pointers on using that program unfortunately.
    2. Make the base of the song. Most Black MIDIs are based on other songs, so you would need a transcription of the song, which will serve as the base of the Black MIDI as you add crazy elements to it later. Being perfect pitch and able to hear notes definitely does help in this step. It actually took me quite a while to learn the layout of Domino and work with it, even though it looks simple. Some pointers here, tempo changing can be done by switching to the conductor track. The other tracks are used for the notes. The numbers going across the top show you the measure numbers of the song, like any normal piece of sheet music. To add a note you simply click on the grid and you can drag it anywhere to get to the correct key and to the correct measure number and position. Just like the way you alter the size of an image in PowerPoint, you can change the duration of the note. A value of 480 is one quarter note, and the rest can be figured out based on that. And something important that I did not know when I made my first Black MIDI...the quantization setting is important. It helps to turn it on, so notes snap into place instead of them being in free form all over the measures. You can set it to different values, such as to a quarter note or 32nd note. What this means is that when you drag the note, you will now be altering the note's position by a specific number of quarter notes (or 32nds) when you drag the note which will lead to accuracy in the note's position. You can also have fun with the dynamics, drawing lines of crescendos and decrescendos using the tool on the bottom. There's also many other tricks amd gimmicks out there in the program, and I find experimentation the best way to learn how to use the program. When I first started making my first Black MIDI, there was no guide like this and I learned completely through experimentation, taking note of what happened when I clicked that or that. I find it real rewarding to have figured all of this out myself through exploration and curiosity, even though jt took months to do so. Don't give up because you don't understand how to use the program! I promise you'll learn how, if you persist and continue trying!
    3. Once you have the basic backbone of the song completed (the melody and its accompanying parts), it's time to impossify the song. Don't be intimidated by the note count. 100,000 notes does not mean you have to click 100,000 times. In fact, mostly a Black MIDI is made with countermelodies copypasted over and over in different ways and forms. The same goes for the glissandos, crash points, drum beats, etc. To be honest, it is very hard to come up with the different ways that you can "remix" a song into a Black MIDI, especially on your first one, so I recommend downloading some MIDIs by experienced Black MIDI artists and taking some inspiration from their style. ScubDomino, BusiedGem, and EpreTroll are all artists with amazing styles and ideas.
    4. Most people don't all after they've finished their Black MIDI. Since Black MIDIs partly contain visual elements, videos are made of them and shared on the media. There are multiple ways to get the audio of your MIDI. One of the most popular ways is to render the audio using the program, Keppy's MIDI Converter. Basically self explanatory, you load the MIDI, a soundfont, and then click the render button which then exports an audio file that you can later use for your video.
    Videos consist of a playback of the MIDI on a virtual piano roll program usually, such as Synthesia or Piano From Above. Piano From Above is my suggestion as it is free and lags less, but Synthesia does have killer graphics for anyone that wants to buy it. And to record the playback as a video, there are many different screen recording softwares out there - I personally prefer OBS Studio, as it is free, contains no watermark, and is portable as well. Then of course, you make the video in a video editor.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I've been working on a hit of a draft now... here's what I have so far. This is a draft of the first portion of the article, talking about how I got into the impossible music genre and the steps on making one. The second portion will about why I chose to do one of the Pokémon Theme Song, and the third will be links to materials and helpful resources
    Huh, I've learnt something already in glancing through!

Couple points to keep in mind while you continue to draft:
    - a short introduction section to go before those sections so readers know what to expect would be ideal
    - space things out more please, like the first half of the section. The list part has no spacing between which will make it harder for us to proofread. Point 2 meanwhile could be split into two, maybe three paragraphs as well.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    This article is going to be about how I personally got into Pokémon, got into making impossible piano remixes, and combined these two pasttimes into a project I made: the Pokémon Theme Song in 260,000 Notes.

I personally got into Pokémon from Pokémon Go. It's not as bad a game as some critics think, it encourages people to get active and go outside, which directly impacted me, a usual sedentary person in front of the computer, to someone who bikes to the downtown park to catch Pokémon. Anyways, this has been a routine for me now, whenever I have time, I go take a cool down at the park. This inspired me to learn more about Pokémon. I have since been attracted to the TV shows and Pokémon movies.

Meanwhile, or you can say a few months before that, I had become attracted to Black MIDIs as well. Here is a quick break down of the modern coined term:

MIDI: a computer music type file that stores the notes of a song, the tempo, etc (other components of a song)
    And the word "black" is put as an antecedent to the word "MIDI" as if the notes of a Black MIDI were out onto a normal sheet of manuscript paper, the paper would appear completely black due to the sheer density of notes on the page. Compare that to a normal MIDI, which could be your solo or duet piano song, or at the most intense level, an orchestral piece with all the instruments in it. Black MIDIs almost always only deal with a single instrument, the piano, but there are some of them out there that utilize other instruments effectively as well. The reason for this is because piano has a natural wide range of different pitches that an be manipulated to different sounds from drum beats to the sound of a buzzer.

The first Black MIDI videos I ever saw was The Hardest Piano Song in Synthesia by SuperEnguanaPianist. If I were to put it into metaphorical terms, this song was basically the "trigger" for my interest in Black MIDIs. The elements of the song truly captivated my heart, the way that all the keys on the piano could be played at the time to create a drum best sound, the use of art looking like diamonds, etc. It became my new "go-to" song, I would watch the video every day.

After a while, I decided to delve deeper into the topic of Black MIDIs to learn more, and possibly learn how to make my own as well. Through Google searches, I found a Google Plus page/hub where blackers from around the world would congregate to share and produce these works of art. This intrigued me even further. After a while, I began to ask basic questions, regarding the type of software to get me started on creating Black MIDIs. From there, it took me a month or so to learn how to use the program itself. There were just too many questions to ask. It was a matter of experimentation. Although it took so long, it was definitely worth it. I have found something I love to do that I can devote my free time too, and I can create these works of art that attract many.

So, having these two pasttimes in mind, I thought, why not create something that represents my dedication and passion to both? This is how I decided to do a Pokémon Black MIDI. Thr theme song Gotta Catch Em' All, being the song that represents the franchise and it not having been done before by someone else, I decided to black the Gotta Catch Em' All theme song, which is the Pokémon Theme Song in 260,000 Notes Project that I was talking about earlier.

---A revised draft of the intro

Back