• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poke card collecting

Days
    Hello poke community. I am looking for answers in regards to
    Do you think there is any sense in say, spending up to 3 or 4 grand on buying various etbs and loose packs and all assorted poke cards and leaving them sealed and keeping them for say about ten years and seeing if they will be worth more in the future.
    Would love some feedback on the whole scenario and also people's picks in actual card boxes and loosey packs I should pick up or whether in fact this a bsd idea to begin with.
    Please and thankyou

stringzzz

Banned
    Years
    I would think that loose packs or even sealed booster boxes would not go up much in value over ten years. Opening up packs to try and get specific cards of value also might not amount to much. If you were actually willing to shell out that much money, it might be a better investment to purchase ungraded cards that you know for sure are worth something and are in noticeably good condition. Then, spend the extra time and money getting said cards PSA graded. Typically cards being PSA graded automatically go up in value as long as the grade is good. Once you've got a stockpile of cards like that, then you could store them away for ten years. Hopefully after that, the value of the cards will increase by a worthwhile amount. All of this is just my opinion, and honestly it's taking a gamble just like the stock market.

I took a gamble on a 25 year anniversary re-print Charizard for around 100 USD. At some point, I am going to get it graded to hopefully increase it's value by more than what I will be paying for on the grading process. It's a gamble, though. While that 25 year anniversary set was out, the value of the cards in it actually dropped over time. There's been some talk that they might go up in value once that set is no longer printing, but again it's a maybe.

The bottom line is that if you have 3 or 4 grand to shell out in an investment, there may be better options available than Pokemon cards, though the specifics on that are something you would need to look into for yourself. Regardless of what you choose, best of luck to you.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    That sounds like a rather risky (and so not worth it) gamble to be taking to me, especially if you're considering an upfront cost of thousands with possibly no idea what you might get.

Back