• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokecrystal "Make" and GBC Save?

Days
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024
    I am new to learning how to hack with Pokecrystal disassembly. My question is how to apply changes in the code to an existing GBC game that has been created with the "make" command.

It seems every time "make" is executed, it creates an entirely NEW game that requires you to start a new Pokemon game when launched in a program like OpenEmu. However, this is obviously inefficient, since in order to test your changes, you would have to keep starting over. How do I apply the changes made in the .asm files to an existing saved game in order to test my changes? Am I doing something wrong in the repository?

Years
    • Seen today
    I am new to learning how to hack with Pokecrystal disassembly. My question is how to apply changes in the code to an existing GBC game that has been created with the "make" command.

It seems every time "make" is executed, it creates an entirely NEW game that requires you to start a new Pokemon game when launched in a program like OpenEmu. However, this is obviously inefficient, since in order to test your changes, you would have to keep starting over. How do I apply the changes made in the .asm files to an existing saved game in order to test my changes? Am I doing something wrong in the repository?
    Compiling the disassembly always creates a new rom, there's no way to get around that.
    However, your save data is stored in a separate save file which is not affected by the compilation. Unless you make code changes that affect how the game handles saving, you should be able to load a save file made with a previous build.

Perhaps your emulator doesn't load the save because it considers the rom to be different, in which case changing emulators might fix the issue.

Days
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024
    Compiling the disassembly always creates a new rom, there's no way to get around that.
    However, your save data is stored in a separate save file which is not affected by the compilation. Unless you make code changes that affect how the game handles saving, you should be able to load a save file made with a previous build.

Perhaps your emulator doesn't load the save because it considers the rom to be different, in which case changing emulators might fix the issue.
    That was it, thank you. OpenEmu is not suitable for rom hacking, evidently, but a switch to mGBA did the trick.

Back