• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[pokecrystal] - Mom character breaks when I try to move her to another location. - SOLVED, OP FIXED DING DONG MISTAKE

Days
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    edit: went back and started examining the gitHub tutorials and wouldn't you know, I forgot the first fucking step which is to make sure the maps you're working with have a SceneID in ram/wram folder, haven't got it working yet but this is obviously one of the issues I'm experiencing, hopefully the only one, about to find out

Hey guys, apologies for the noob question, but I'm just getting started on my pokecrystal disassembly hack and I'm stuck basically at the beginning. I want to use the crystal disassembly because I really like a lot of Gen II features, but I'm old school and my hack will be starting in Kanto and will most likely only feature the original 151 pokemon.

A kind stranger on Reddit pointed me to the intro_menu.asm file to set which map the game loads at the beginning and changing it was pretty straight forward and now my game is starting in Red's House, but when I try to move the PLAYERSHOUSE1F_MOM character to Red's House (replacing Red's Mom) her event where she gives you the PokeGear isn't working properly. I did update the map coordinates for the event (Red's house is 4x4 and Player's House is 5x4) and when I had that realization I thought I'd fixed it, but even with updated coordinates the give gear event isn't being triggered when I walk by Mom and when I talk to her she says "Elm is waiting, hurry up baby!" as if she's given it to me already.

When I first brought the PlayersHouse stuff over to RedsHouse I changed all of the names to RedsHouse as well thinking I was being clever, but ran into a lot of compiler errors so at the moment my RedsHouse map data looks like this, with the proper RedsHouse1F name at the top, but the Mom scene stuff still carries the PlayersHouse1F name because that's the way it let me build the game successfully.

RedsHouse1F_MapScripts:
    def_scene_scripts
    scene_script PlayersHouse1FNoop1Scene, SCENE_PLAYERSHOUSE1F_MEET_MOM
    scene_script PlayersHouse1FNoop2Scene, SCENE_PLAYERSHOUSE1F_NOOP

def_callbacks

PlayersHouse1FNoop1Scene:
    end

PlayersHouse1FNoop2Scene:
    end

I'm sure it's probably something simple I'm missing, but I'm not sure how to proceed. Any help is appreciated.

edit: like I said before, I tried changing the names to reflect the new map location when I originally starting bringing the Mom script stuff over, but I ran into a bunch of compile errors. Also, based on the compile errors it didn't look like there was anywhere else in the code where I needed to also change the name of the event/scene, just a couple other places that called the event/scene, but it looks to me like the event/scene is defined in the map text data so I'm not sure how to fix. this way "works" in the sense that the game compiles and builds successfully, but the MeetMom scenes are broken.

edit2: found the constants/event tags folder and successfully changed all the names of the events to reflect the new map location and I'm still in the same situation, so it's definitely not a naming issue. Unsure of what else to try, I feel like what I'm trying to do here is pretty simple, just moving the sprite constants and their events from one map to another, adjust the coordinates slightly. But that small act is breaking the events.

Last edited:
    Back