• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[WIP] Pokeology - Aron

Years
    Basically the idea is a series that looks at the biology of various pokemon and attempts to work out how they would function in the real world. Primarily I want to focus on their bodies and physical properties rather than attacks but that might maybe come into it sometimes.

The first pokemon I want to look at is Aron (thanks to the UG chat for the inspiration to do that) since it has some really interesting qualities such as a diet of metal and a seemingly metal body. Resident biology whiz Mana has agreed to help me out with stuff too if we get the go ahead.

Years
    Have you ever taken a look at a Pokémon and wondered how exactly its body worked? Have ever wondered how a Pokémon moved? What about what it eats? If you're anything like me than chances are that's happened a few times in your exposure to the series. The Pokéology series examines Pokémon and aims to work out how their bodies would function in the real world. This time around, we're looking at Aron.

Anatomy

Aron is a physically small quadrupedal Pokémon standing at only forty centimetres tall and not being particularly long either. Despite this though, Aron is reasonably heavy weighing in at sixty kilograms.

Aron has stubby legs that hold up a much larger, somewhat rounded body with a head that is ovoid and nearly as large as the rest of its body. Aron is encased in a thick metal (probably steel) from head to toe although this armour also has several small openings. Aron has a single blunt protrusion on its back, however given its bluntness, location and Aron's already heavily armoured body, it is unlikely to be there for defence.

Movement and Behaviour

Aron is extremely heavy for its small size weighing nearly as much as the average adult man but being significantly smaller. In addition to this Aron's body is near spherical and it's legs are extremely short and stumpy with no knees and only a single hinge joint. This (along with Aron's abysmal Speed stat) suggest that it's an extremely slow mover. It's possible that Aron actually spends very little time moving at all. Due to it's thick armour, Aron would have little to fear from the average predator which might explain why it didn't evolve a body more suited to fleeing.

It is stated in most of Aron's Pokédex entries that it eats rocks and metal. This implies that Aron has an extremely powerful jaw. It's probable lack of movement and extremely heavy body suggests that Aron would probably spend its time settling down into a single location and eating until it was out of food. Aron doesn't have claws, but it's powerful jaw could potentially be useful for creating burrows also.

Diet

It is quite easy to theorise about Aron's diet. We already know that Aron eats rocks and metal for the sake of obtaining the iron and other elements/minerals it requires to heal and strengthen its metallic armour. However, rocks and metals do not provide much else in the terms of nutrition. This means Aron probably has some other source of nutrition.

It's heavy body and stumpy legs make it extremely unlikely that Aron is an active predator like the real worlds lions or tigers. The lack of fauna in a mountainous cave environment also suggests that Aron is not carnivorous. Considering Aron's habitat, it's likely that Aron's diet consists largely of fungi found in caves such as mushrooms, moss and lichen. This would fit well with the theory that Aron spends little time moving and tends to just sit in one place eating since it would take a lot of fungi to provide it with significant nutrients for survival. It is also possible that Aron supplements its primarily herbivorous diet by being an opportunistic carnivore, snapping other cave dwellers that stray to close.

Internal Workings

Aron is extremely heavy for its size, even when considering it's metal coating. This suggests that Aron may have a strong, thick skeletal structure and a lot of fat or muscle mass. It's skeletal structure could potentially be largely metallic, made of the same materials as its armour. Aside from it's jaw, where it would require significant muscle mass to allow for its powerful bite, Aron's lack of movement implies it wouldn't have much muscle mass. It is more likely that Aron has a layer of blubber to contribute to its weight as caves are often extremely cold environments. This might point to the holes in its armour existing as a means of allowing some heat to escape so Aron doesn't cook itself from the inside.

Considering Aron dines on rocks and metal, the most obviously impressive aspect of Aron's internal biology is obviously its digestive system. Most animals have stomachs containing hydrochloric acid. This is easily capable of dissolving the fungi that likely constitutes an Aron's diet and even any meat it might snatch up. Unless an Aron plans on waiting years to replenish its armour though, this isn't going to be enough to dissolve the rest of its diet. There is another hydrogen-based acid that could dissolve rocks and metals relatively quickly. Hydrofluoric acid made of hydrogen and fluoride is much stronger than hydrochloric acid but still is unlikely to be strong enough to burn through Aron's stomach so long as it was coated in a strong basic material. Aron probably has a very fast metabolic rate (another reason to spend most of its time eating as opposed to moving).

That's it for the first edition of Pokéology! What do you think of the conclusions I came to? Do you have any alternative ideas? What Pokémon should I tackle next?

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    I think I'm going to leave the grammar check to native English speakers here, but as a science nerd there are a few things I like to nitpick on. Overall it's a nice article though!

The lack of fauna in a mountainous cave environment also suggests that Aron is not carnivorous.

Uhm... how's that? Normally there's quite a bunch of wild Pokémon in caves. Even if we were just counting the Zubat that live there.

Aron is extremely heavy for its size, even when considering it's metal coating. This suggests that Aron may have a strong, thick skeletal structure and a lot of fat or muscle mass. It's skeletal structure could potentially be largely metallic, made of the same materials as its armour. Aside from it's jaw, where it would require significant muscle mass to allow for its powerful bite, Aron's lack of movement implies it wouldn't have much muscle mass. It is more likely that Aron has a layer of blubber to contribute to its weight as caves are often extremely cold environments.

Fat isn't very heavy, definitely not heavy enough to provide all the weight of Aron's body. Muscles are slightly heavier I believe, but still... think of it as human density.

I did some math and considering Aron as a perfect sphere (like you mentioned) with a 40 cm diameter it would weigh 263 kilograms if it consisted out of pure iron. Okay, it's not a pure iron ball, but its iron coat (and possibly iron skeleton, I like that theory) would most certainly compensate for its size.

Considering Aron dines on rocks and metal, the most obviously impressive aspect of Aron's internal biology is obviously its digestive system. Most animals have stomachs containing hydrochloric acid. This is easily capable of dissolving the fungi that likely constitutes an Aron's diet and even any meat it might snatch up. Unless an Aron plans on waiting years to replenish its armour though, this isn't going to be enough to dissolve the rest of its diet. There is another hydrogen-based acid that could dissolve rocks and metals relatively quickly. Hydrofluoric acid made of hydrogen and fluoride is much stronger than hydrochloric acid but still is unlikely to be strong enough to burn through Aron's stomach so long as it was coated in a strong basic material. Aron probably has a very fast metabolic rate (another reason to spend most of its time eating as opposed to moving).

I did some research on this. Hydrofluoric acid is strong enough to dissolve iron oxides (aka iron ores) for example, while stainless steel would be sort of okay to function as a container without getting dissolved too much.
    I'm not sure how a basic material would function on that part though, as acids and bases normally cancel each other out. With a stomach-full of acid that's probably going to mean you're going to lose your protective barrier. Additionally the acid will become less concentrated. I have to admit I don't know what the inside of a human stomach is made of (I believe it was some sort of slimy something), you may want to poke Peter for that.

Years
    Hoping I'm not stepping on anybody else's toes with this if they had any ideas for cover images, but when I noticed this was up, I couldn't help but do the one idea that came to mind...

Spoiler:

I can change the color if desired (or add something if it needs a bit more), but yeah.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Aron probably has a very fast metabolic rate (another reason to spend most of its time eating as opposed to moving).

This part stuck at to me as being conflicting. Animals with fast metabolic rates don't tend to eat continuously and be slow.

Aron, being slow moving, is likely to have a slow metabolism. He probably spents a lot of time eating due to the lack of effective nutrition in its food source (even if we assume he's somehow producing energy from rocks XD).

As for the stomach acid dilemma. If you assume that Aron crunches up the rocks into small parts, or its eating rocks that dissolve readily in acid (limestone?), then I think you can qualify a weaker acid. Small chunks would dissolve much quicker than the supposed metal stomach, perhaps enough time to replenish in a similar way to a human stomach.

To add to Lycan's worry about blubber - how about just assuming Aron lives in the cold comfortably? His typing resists Ice, and a cold environment would complement a slow metabolism, his slow movement, etc.

It also means you could exchange blubber for more iron/rock in his body would would help up his weight. Or, as Lycan suggest, imply more muscle to account for power/high Attack.

Last edited:

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
    Hoping I'm not stepping on anybody else's toes with this if they had any ideas for cover images, but when I noticed this was up, I couldn't help but do the one idea that came to mind...

Spoiler:

I can change the color if desired (or add something if it needs a bit more), but yeah.

wow thats nice{XD}{:3}​

Years
    This is why we have you Pete xD
    I'll make some changes though. As for the rocks, I don't think iron ore is typically found in weaker rocks like Limestone is it? I'll do a google check just to be sure though.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Quick grammar check!

Aron has a single blunt protrusion on its back, however given its bluntness, location and Aron's already heavily armoured body, it is unlikely to be there for defence.
    This sentence feels rather wordy, and sounds better as two separate ones.

the real worlds lions or tigers
    "the real world's"

that stray to close
    "stray too close"

the most obviously impressive aspect of Aron's internal biology is obviously its digestive system
    "Obviously" is used twice here.

it's legs are extremely short
    Due to it's thick armour
    It's probable lack of movement
    but it's powerful jaw could potentially
    It's heavy body and stumpy legs
    even when considering it's metal coating
    It's skeletal structure could potentially
    Aside from it's jaw
    All these "it's" should be "its."

Back