• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

the PokeROM Codex; Full Release!!

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Yo! It's me, themanynamed.

If you know who I am and what I'm about, Skip This Paragraph. If you're still here, Hello There! Thanks for looking in; I am the themanynamed, curator of the PokeRom Codex~ The PokeRom Codex is a 'dex of romhacks, fan games, and resources, designed to guide trainers through the vast sea of Pokémon creativity without tearing anyone down to do so. It's your one-stop catalog for finding the perfect experience for you, featuring an easy-to-navigate, community-enhanced, tag-based system that connects trainers to their ideal Pokémon adventure~ It will never link directly to a ROM and will link to the original release and sources wherever possible!

We finally have the Codex in a state that we consider a halfway decent enough to consider out of beta. This doesn't mean that updates will stop! Quite the opposite, we have many exciting plans that we hope to bring you, moving forward~

If you've been following along with all of the smaller updates, then you might not notice a huge number of changes. But if you haven't looked into this project since the final™ beta (all the way back in december), then an absolute ton has changed. There's much too much to go into it, here, but the Codex features a full changelog in the FAQ & Readme if you want to take a glimpse at how we got here~

I would like to take this opportunity to deeply thank all of the amazing and wonderful people I've met since starting this project; there is a ridiculous amount of fantastic people in this community, and it has been an honor to be able to speak with so many of them, directly, and help represent their incredible work. The Codex project has always been a thank you note and love letter to a community that has brought me endless joy, and I want to say how humbled I am to have been able to help spread some of that joy.

Submissions:

With the full release, we are also reiterating our warm invitation to anyone and everyone who would like to have something featured on the Codex; please use our Submission Form to submit anything you would like to be included, and we will have it added asap after manual review~

I request that anyone who submits an entry this way to please put their username/handle in the description somewhere; e.g., 'submitted by (YOU)'

There are descriptions of various tags in the FAQ, but feel free to ping me or DM me if you ever have any questions~

Discord:

the Library is a celebration of this romhacking community's fantastic changes to our favorite games, without disrespecting or disparaging anyone else's work. It is also a place to find resources, support, and feedback for your hacks, and to discover and appreciate other romhackers' work.

There is so much hate in this community, but there's also so much passion, so much love, and so many wonderful things being worked on by so many awesome people; and so often those things go unnoticed because people are spending their energy bashing any way that isn't the way they do things. I'm so sick of fandoms tearing themselves apart trying to prove everyone else wrong or prove their views are better than everyone else's. I know we are capable of doing better; I saw it in all the wonderful interactions I've had since I started being active in this scene ~7mo ago. I saw it in the outpouring of passion on my previous posts about the tags and the updates on the Codex. I know the unity is there; I would love to unify, encourage, and give a voice to, as many pockets of awesome as I can! This is why the Library features a Creator Showcase, where Creators can post updates and discuss their projects if they want to. I would like to welcome anyone who has created or is creating anything cool to join the Showcase and talk about what you're making with us. I think it would be wonderful to have you and your amazing creations in the Showcase.

I dreamt of a place that allows us to celebrate the differences in opinion that make us and our experiences special, without tearing down anyone or anything else to do so. I dreamt of a place where people could engage in healthy and respectful debate without excessive arguing or hate. I dreamt of a place that wouldn't ridicule you if you had a different opinion as long as you weren't trying to police anyone else about theirs. I dreamt of a Library where people could chill, play rom hacks, talk about what they like, and swap cool experiences and hacks to try. If the Codex is a love letter to a community that has brought me over a decade of enjoyment, the Library is an extension of that. I love you guys, and this is the only way I know how to show it; first, I made you a Codex, then I made you a Library. I hope you like them; they make me happy, but they're really for you <33

Backstory & the Future:

This started off as entirely a passion project, built off of the shoulders of the giants that came before (like the Compendium, PkHax, and more), for romhacks that I had played and enjoyed, because, a: I could never remember which awesome features were in which awesome hacks, and, b: none of the above giants worked well on mobile android or had the selections of tags that I wanted or were being updated with the latest hacks. So I built the first two betas entirely on an android phone, living outside, with intermittent internet. But it wasn't until I posted a list of the tags I was working on with a (in retrospect) provocative title (What Features Do You Look For Most In A Rom Hack?) that I started to get some serious replies, which kickstarted a massive outpouring of community help and support which stretched across multiple discords, forums, and subreddits. I realized how much the community wanted something like this, and I have done my best to represent as many views and opinions and playstyles as I can. I eventually launched the Library discord, had a number of librarians join the cause to help, and have been on the receiving end of a massive amount of help and generosity. An absolutely amazing benefactor got me a laptop - for Christmas in January - just so that I could do all of this more easily (massive shout out & appreciation to Silky~ <33). The dudes who ran the Compendium retired and stepped down, and handed me all of their data. I was - I still am - honored to be the one chosen to carry on their torch (huge thanks for all the incredible work done by Vloshko & co~). I have someone who is helping to incorporate as much of that as possible, who is also going to test which hacks work on original hardware! & I have someone else who is going to help incorporate the MAGM (Make a Great Map) contest! I also intend to test trading and battling compatibility more in-depth! So that's all stuff to look forward to, even if all of it might take a while~ Let us know if helping the Codex out is something that you're interested in, especially if you know a lot about romhacks, spreadsheets, coding, etc. There's a roadmap and several TO-DO lists in the FAQ & Readme if you want to take a look at what we have planned. And please join the Library if you have any ideas on how anything could be improved~ The scope has grown, but we've accomplished a lot in half a year, despite multiple weeks of inactivity on end, so I'm confident that, moving forward, we'll be able to continue to do our best to make the Codex the best resource it can possibly be, for everyone who uses it, with all the amazing support of Trainers like you~ From the bottom of my heart: Thank you all for making this community what it's capable of. <33

Usual Disclaimer: the PokeROM Codex & PokeROM Libray do not and will not ever link to any ROMs and isn't trying to advertise anything specifically. The primary purpose of this project is Information; this is a Catalog, not a Repository.

& As Always: Have Fun!!

Spoiler: old OP (FINAL™ BETA)

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Yo! It's me, themanynamed.

Back with a quick - but impactful - update to the Codex.

Presenting the new Codex Hack Submission Form!

Even newer than the Google one I posted a week ago, this one is fully integrated into the Codex, which means that there's little to no effort on my part to add your hacks to the Codex! All I have to do manually is set the picture (if you uploaded one), copy the text (if you included a link for me to do so), review to make sure there's nothing untoward, and push it to live~

In addition, I am testing out a new way to submit Edit requests! On any given entry of the Codex, if you click the 'X more properties' bit at the bottom of the categories, there should be a new link at the bottom of each page called Request Edit, that if you click, will allow you to post an edit request that I can look over and approve manually, without anyone having to interact with me if they don't want to~

I am hopeful that these two things, together, will allow for a much more streamlined and user-friendly experience for everyone~

As always, please feel free to join the Library discord server for the Codex if you want a chill place to celebrate your favorite romhacks without tearing anyone or anything else down to do so; or hop on to give feedback to help make the Codex the best tool for everyone that it can be~

Usual Disclaimer: the PokeROM Codex & PokeROM Libray do not and will not ever link to any ROMs and isn't trying to advertise anything specifically. The primary purpose of this project is Information; this is a Catalog, not a Repository.

Have Fun!!

Back