• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Rain in Malie Garden?

Years
  • I've been grinding on and off for a couple days now trying to catch a wild Politoed in Malie Garden in Pokémon Moon. They've got a 1% chance of showing up in an SOS battle at night while it's raining. I've mostly just been using Drizzle and Rain Dance to maintain the weather, but I read on Bulbapedia that there should be naturally occurring rain from 5 PM to 6 PM. I thought that would help make my grind a lot easier, but I just went to check, and it's not raining. Am I doing something wrong? Or is the rain in Malie Garden like the hail in Tapu Village (which is to say randomly occurring)?
    Notes:
    • It's about 5:40 PM at the time of posting, and I double-checked to make sure my 3DS's clock is accurate as well.
    • I'm playing Pokémon Moon, so the game's days are offset by 12 hours (the sun rises at 6 PM and sets at 6 AM).
    • I was going to have a third note but I forgot what it was.

Years
  • Just to double check: have you gone to Malie Garden at 5-6 PM ingame time or at 5-6 PM on your DS system's time?
    Since you're on Moon, 5-6 PM on your systems time would not line up with 5-6 PM ingame time due to the 12 hour offset. So I'd imagine that 5-6PM ingame time would be 5-6 AM for you on your DS' time.

Years
  • Interesting thought. I've been going based off of my DS system's time, since it seems like the game still operates largely on that. For instance, the "day" still resets at midnight based on my DS clock, even though technically by the game's standards it would be noon. I might give it a shot but I don't think that's what's causing the discrepancy.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Just tested this between Moon and Ultra Sun. Hit 5:00 PM on the DS clock. Was raining in Ultra Sun, but not in Moon.

Also entered the Reverse World in Ultra Sun. Returned to Malie City. Stopped raining.

Years
  • I guess it's probably just a feature in the Ultra games, then. Interesting that Bulbapedia lists it as being in all four games, though. I guess they were wrong?
    Good to know either way. Thanks!

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Not necessarily. Gathered the following data:
    - Ultra Sun (light, normal hours): Raining
    - Ultra Sun (dark, reversed hours): Not raining
    - Moon (dark, normal hours): Not raining

Never tested Moon's light, reversed hours. Try flipping the times at the Altar of the Moone when/if you can. (Have Lunala in your party during the game's daylight hours or Solgaleo during the game's nighttime hours, then interact with the wormhole there.) See if it is raining at 5 PM in Malie City then.

(Would have done that too. Did not have Solgaleo handy in Moon. Declined to deal with the minor hassle of trading one over.)

Edit: 5:35ish PM. No rain during the normal Moon hours OR in the reverse world.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Been gone a couple days visiting family but yeah, I also hopped over to the reverse world to double-check and got the same results. It's too bad. I appreciate your help!
    The good news is I did finally catch a wild Politoed just grinding with Drizzle and Rain Dance! I'm still going at it because I really want to get a female but I technically achieved my goal.

Back